post football game rides

  • whistleblah
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      hallo,

      i'm not sure who all is on the list, but this may be an idea that
      could be replicated elsewhere.

      with the school year starting (as well as the football season), i had
      the idea that a critical mass ride would be very effective right
      after a college game. it may be a bit more dangerous (especially if
      the home team lost). perhaps it could be done in conjunction with
      tagging cars (i was downtown and "ticketed" some SUV's with
      environmental parking tickets).

      comments?

      by the way, i'm from madison (if anyone else is from the area, i'd
      like to hear back).

      ciao
    • Daniel Kliman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
        I'd vote more for the SUV tagging. There seems to be an awful lot of
        them at football games. Also, having not necessarily mass rides but
        bikers cutting in and out of the monstrosities while they are stuck
        in traffic after the game, possibly putting flyers on the cars would
        be fun.

        I'm currently dating a sports fan who is also a cager (I'm trying to
        break him of the latter) and a huge motivator for the people at pro-
        ball games seems to be that when the outcome of the game seems
        determined, get out of the stadium before the traffic rush. The fun
        thing with that is, as they say, "it ain't over 'till its over" and I
        saw stunning turnarounds in two games that happened in the last
        inning (Cardinals vs. Pirates) or in the last minutes of a game (Rams
        vs. Bears) that we would have missed had we joined the rush to beat
        the traffic.

        Driving is anti-sports!

        Dan

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
          Daniel Kliman wrote:

          > and a huge motivator for the people at pro-
          > ball games seems to be that when the outcome of the game seems
          > determined, get out of the stadium before the traffic rush.

          I noticed that at Jazz Fest in Chicago last week, too. About 15 minutes before the last band (which happens to be the headliner for the evening) is finished, hundreds of people get up and start streaming towards the exits. There is a seating area in front of the stage consisting of metal folding chairs on concrete, and the large Grant Park grass seating area is beyond that. This early withdrawl by the "traffic beaters" blocks the view and upsets the ambiance for the other patrons. They are dumping ice out of their coolers, rolling up their blankets, etc. and stepping over people. And of course considerable communication is necessary throughout the entire process of leaving early, in-person and via cell phone.

          The second issue with people leaving early at an event like Jazz Fest is that is disrespectful to the musicians. When they should be getting a thundering standing ovation at the end of their set, one third of the people are in the process of leaving or have already left.

          And finally, how can those people stand to miss 15 minutes of some of the best live jazz in the world by giants like Wayne Shorter? For free too! They must be nuts!

          -Bob Matter
          "One never knows, do one?"
          --Fats Waller