Re: [critical-mass] Critical Mass bikers blast NYPD

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
      The NYPD's official spokesliar said:

      | "We had hoped these were good-faith negotiations, but
      | instead, Critical Mass reneged and, as it has in the past,
      | put themselves and the public at risk.
      |
      | "Police went out of our way to accommodate riders on the
      | designated route. When they broke away and broke the law,
      | police enforced it."

      =v= The NYPD communicated this route via a flyer:

      http://www.pbase.com/image/35701621

      I did not read a copy of this flyer and knew nothing about the
      imposition of a route. I'd attended the hearing in which the
      request for an injunction against Critical Mass had been denied,
      and I read the judge's order. It made no mention of an imposed
      route. (The stuff at the bottom of the flyer, about seizure of
      bicycles, actually contradicts the court order.)

      =v= So what happened? Well, at first there was simply no way
      for anyone to diverge from the route even if they wanted to.
      Cops blocked every intersection. They also stopped parts
      of the ride now and then, creating smaller packs. Then they
      directed the smaller packs away from the "designated route,"
      into a number of different directions. Then they arrested
      people whom they'd ordered away from the route, for not being
      on the route!

      =v= This is not accommodation or good faith.
      <_Jym_>

      --
      Participation in the Critical Mass bike ride constitutes
      expressive association entitled to First Amendment protection.

      Ads below? Just ignore 'em.
    • chvad_sb
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        "Then they arrested
        people whom they'd ordered away from the route, for not being
        on the route!

        That's EXACTLY what happened to me. After the re-route we came to
        another blockade. I was walking my bike at that point, ask the
        officers what was going on. They said "we're re-grouping everyone to
        get them back to union square". I decided to comply... my mistake. I
        went over to where I was instructed whereupon cuffs were put on me
        and I was arrested. What fucking bullshit. Now I have a court date on
        the 29th and no bike.

        --- In critical-mass@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@e...> wrote:
        > The NYPD's official spokesliar said:
        >
        > | "We had hoped these were good-faith negotiations, but
        > | instead, Critical Mass reneged and, as it has in the past,
        > | put themselves and the public at risk.
        > |
        > | "Police went out of our way to accommodate riders on the
        > | designated route. When they broke away and broke the law,
        > | police enforced it."
        >
        > =v= The NYPD communicated this route via a flyer:
        >
        > http://www.pbase.com/image/35701621
        >
        > I did not read a copy of this flyer and knew nothing about the
        > imposition of a route. I'd attended the hearing in which the
        > request for an injunction against Critical Mass had been denied,
        > and I read the judge's order. It made no mention of an imposed
        > route. (The stuff at the bottom of the flyer, about seizure of
        > bicycles, actually contradicts the court order.)
        >
        > =v= So what happened? Well, at first there was simply no way
        > for anyone to diverge from the route even if they wanted to.
        > Cops blocked every intersection. They also stopped parts
        > of the ride now and then, creating smaller packs. Then they
        > directed the smaller packs away from the "designated route,"
        > into a number of different directions. Then they arrested
        > people whom they'd ordered away from the route, for not being
        > on the route!
        >
        > =v= This is not accommodation or good faith.
        > <_Jym_>
        >
        > --
        > Participation in the Critical Mass bike ride constitutes
        > expressive association entitled to First Amendment protection.
        > -- Judge William H. Pauley III, 28-Oct-2004
        >
        > Ads below? Just ignore 'em.
      • Warfield Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
          So did you learn your lesson? Never trust a cop.

          --- chvad_sb <chvad_sb@...> wrote:

          > "Then they arrested
          > people whom they'd ordered away from the route, for
          > not being
          > on the route!
          >
          > That's EXACTLY what happened to me. After the
          > re-route we came to
          > another blockade. I was walking my bike at that
          > point, ask the
          > officers what was going on. They said "we're
          > re-grouping everyone to
          > get them back to union square". I decided to
          > comply... my mistake. I
          > went over to where I was instructed whereupon cuffs
          > were put on me
          > and I was arrested. What fucking bullshit. Now I
          > have a court date on
          > the 29th and no bike.
          >

          > --- In critical-mass@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer
          > <jym@e...> wrote:
          > > The NYPD's official spokesliar said:
          > >
          > > | "We had hoped these were good-faith
          > negotiations, but
          > > | instead, Critical Mass reneged and, as it has in
          > the past,
          > > | put themselves and the public at risk.
          > > |
          > > | "Police went out of our way to accommodate
          > riders on the
          > > | designated route. When they broke away and
          > broke the law,
          > > | police enforced it."
          > >
          > > =v= The NYPD communicated this route via a flyer:
          > >
          > > http://www.pbase.com/image/35701621
          > >
          > > I did not read a copy of this flyer and knew
          > nothing about the
          > > imposition of a route. I'd attended the hearing
          > in which the
          > > request for an injunction against Critical Mass
          > had been denied,
          > > and I read the judge's order. It made no mention
          > of an imposed
          > > route. (The stuff at the bottom of the flyer,
          > about seizure of
          > > bicycles, actually contradicts the court order.)
          > >
          > > =v= So what happened? Well, at first there was
          > simply no way
          > > for anyone to diverge from the route even if they
          > wanted to.
          > > Cops blocked every intersection. They also
          > stopped parts
          > > of the ride now and then, creating smaller packs.
          > Then they
          > > directed the smaller packs away from the
          > "designated route,"
          > > into a number of different directions. Then they
          > arrested
          > > people whom they'd ordered away from the route,
          > for not being
          > > on the route!
          > >
          > > =v= This is not accommodation or good faith.
          > > <_Jym_>
          > >
          > > --
          > > Participation in the Critical Mass bike ride
          > constitutes
          > > expressive association entitled to First Amendment
          > protection.
          > > -- Judge William H. Pauley III, 28-Oct-2004
          > >
          > > Ads below? Just ignore 'em.

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • chvad_sb