Safeway as Bikeway?

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      =v= There's a big nationwide strike and boycott underway
      against Safeway/Vons, Albertsons, and Kroger/Ralphs, and
      apparently Los Angeles Critical Mass rode by and cheered
      on support for the strikers. A breakaway mini-mass then
      rode into the store:

      http://la.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/102094.php

      Half of the bicyclists, about twenty or so, entered
      the store in a single file line and proceeded to ride
      down various aisles, simultaneously chanting ``Dont
      shop at Vons, support the strike!'' Employees and
      customers alike stood dumbfounded as the group, with
      helmets on and lights blinking, made their way out of
      the store and back into the parking lot.

      =v= I remember when, in a 1993 East Bay Critical Mass, a
      similar breakaway mini-mass went through Safeway. After
      the ride we gathered in People's Park and discussed the
      incident, and good ol' PM opined that there's a time and
      place for everything: a time to ride in the streets and
      a time to ride through Safeway. To everything, turn,
      turn, turn.

      =v= Perhaps the time to ride through Safeway has arrived?
      <_Jym_>

      ObDisclaimer: The above is not an incitement to riot.
      Provided for entertainment purposes only.
    • Christopher Crosdale
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        A couple of harmless suggestions:

        First, you should probably warn people that some of the mass are planning to ride through stores, that way those who don't want to be associated with that can ride in the other direction.  There is nothing problematic about offering support for the strike, or just interacting with people in public, but when a group of people "act" like a mob, they are generally treated like a mob.

        Second, if you want to raise a stink and get attention, why ride through a supermarket?  Why not a police station?  Or the local city hall?  Or around auto malls?

        I know it is frustrating to get people to listen or to even pay attention to what we are trying to do.  This is a tough nut to crack.  People get desperate for some sort of drastic revolutionary-style action in the hopes that it will motivate someone.  It's kind of like those militia nuts who can't wait around for the prophesized "race war", so they go do something to start one....  I know you are one of the "initiated", and have nothing but good intentions, as does everyone on this list, and probably have to deal with feelings like, "How come I get it, and not every else does? Why aren't they listening."

        It might be time for those who involve themselves in CM to take a different approach.  Not to stop having the rides, but certainly not to wait around every month to dump frustration on whoever happens to be around.   The goal would be simple, although certainly not revolutionary:  try to get everyone in your life to ride there bike more often.   This doesn't mean that people are going to sell their cars and go full bike, just use them more often.

        If, over the course of the next year, those 50 people in the LA ride, or me, or you, were to get 10 people each to ride thier bike 100% more than they already are, that would be a huge achievement.  Sometimes that means repairing bikes; or inviting friends to events that you ride your bike to; or if people live close and they are coming over, encourage them to ride their bike; or leading by example on how to ride safely in the street, without being too preachy; etc., etc, etc.....

        ~Chris.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

      • doblenog
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
          I am a bit confused about the statement that the nationwide strike and boycott
          includes Kroger/Ralphs and Albertsons, in addition to Safeway/Vons, since the article
          only mentions the Safeway/Vons strike, which has been going on for some time.

          Is there another piece that didn't get conneted to your post?

          Thanks.