A shockingly relevant upcoming play about city bikes

  • David Dartley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      "Spokesong" at New York's Storm Theatre, coming in February, 2004.
      Of course I hope this free publicity I'm giving the Theatre is a
      karmic investment, and that they'll cast me as the lead. But even if
      they don't, I urge all New York critical-massers to go see it--the
      main character sees cycling as the cultural, political, and
      environmental salvation of his city. Below is the Storm Theatre's
      blurb on the play:

      By Stewart Parker and Jimmy Kennedy. Living in Belfast in the late
      1970's, Frank Dunlop is a man of passions and convictions. He owns a
      Bicycle shop. He is passionate about bicycles. He can't stop singing
      their praises. In fact, it's hard for him to keep from singing at
      all. He believes he has a civic plan that can completely revive a
      beaten war torn city. His problem, like all good civilizing agents,
      is that everyone he meets is filled with gloom, and despair. And who
      can blame them with bombs exploding left and right? Yet, he
      steadfastly continues to preach the gospel of hope, bicycles and
      common sense. Daisy, the girl of his dreams, isn't sure. She's ready
      to leave town. His anarchist brother, Julian would like to leave with
      her.
      Can Frank keep her from going? Will he go with her? Will he give up
      these silly ideas about trying to improve a hopeless situation?
      Spokesong is a magically theatrical play with wonderful songs, about
      the courage to make things better, even if everything is blowing up
      around you.