bike to work day

  • Jots Shadow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      According to the League of American Bicyclists, May is National Bike
      Month. (See http://www.bikeleague.org/educenter/bikemonth.htm and
      http://www.bikemonth.com for more info.) I suppose there may be a
      National Bike to Work Day, for all I know.

      If my town has a bike to work day, I've never heard of it.

      Does your community have a "bike to work day"?

      If so, when is it?

      --Thomas
    • doblenog
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2003
        in portland, it's in may like the site says. "bike to work day" was
        the 16th. there was quite a bit of promotion behind it this year in
        portland.

        --- In critical-mass@yahoogroups.com, "Jots Shadow"

      • dankliman@pol.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
          http://www.freetimes.com/issues/1110/chat-bikes.html

          THREE CAMPBELL AIDES JOIN CRITICAL MASS

          The June Critical Mass bicycle ride downtown was graced with not one but
          three members the Campbell Administration, a welcome show of support for
          the idea that bicyclists can share the road with cars downtown--at least
          after work on a Friday. And for some reason, the whole thing went off
          happily and without a hitch. Even the weather was nice. Thanks, Jane!

          Planning Director Chris Ronayne rode with his wife--acting director of
          parks and recreation Natalie Ronayne--on a snazzy tandem. Planning
          commission staffer Marty Cader, no doubt getting in shape for his
          pedal-powered New York to Cleveland jaunt later this summer, also joined.
          They were among approximately 45 cyclists, an increase of nearly 50
          percent over the previous month's traffic-ticketed crew.

          We'd be remiss not to mention downtown councilman Joe Cimperman, who
          didn't ride along but did organize a meeting between cyclists and police
          the day before the ride. Cader attended the meeting and told police he was
          there to represent the city's interest in having a bike-friendly city.
          Cimperman played the facilitator, framing comments and pitching questions
          between the cyclists and Third District Police (first name) Captain
          McNamara, who noted, "If you obey the law, there will be no problem."

          No word yet on whether Mayor Jane Campbell obeys the law by having her
          bicycle licensed, or whether the cyclists have sent her the invitation
          spokesperson Celeste Glasgow requested for the July ride.

          After last month's festivities, 31 cyclists plunked down their five bucks
          for bicycle licenses. (Compared to 75 for the entire previous year). A
          similiar number also ran out and bought handlebar bells. This was to
          comply with the laws that enabled police to write tickets to about 15 of
          the pedal pushers last month. Just look how bikes are already contributing
          to the economy!

          Meanwhile, last month's offenders have been making their way through the
          courts--several in front of Judge Kathleen Keough. Speaking off the cuff,
          Keough says she hears upwards of 80 misdemeanor cases each day, sometimes
          as many as 120. Those include domestic violence, assault, and DUI, in
          addition to traffic violations. She estimates that in the previous year,
          the number of bicycle violations could have been counted on one hand. She
          had no ready estimate of how much tax money was spent to have her, a
          bailiff, a county prosecutor and courtroom security deal with the heinous
          two-wheeler violations.

          She did, however, recall telling one of the cyclists that if he wanted to
          go for a ride in a beautiful place, he should do so in the Metroparks.
          Cleveland municipal code and the Ohio revised code both specifically state
          that bicyclists have as much right to city streets as cars do.

          The next critical mass ride gathers on Public Square at 5:30 p.m. Friday
          July 25.
        • Bixby Bubba
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
            <Yawn> Where is Mr. Dildo Man to keep things
            interesting? <yawn>

            Would the said public officials show up if someone
            towed a trailer, carrying a six-foot inflatable
            replica of the penis, the American flag, and a banner
            with this message: "Get A Boner, Not a Buick"

            http://sbc.yahoo.com