Maryland Cops: Human Rights and Bike Lanes = Terorrism

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      =v= Check out this _Washington_Post_ story:

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/01/03/ST2009010302013.html
      a.k.a.
      http://tinyurl.com/t3rr0r

      Long story, but here's the lead paragraph:

      | The Maryland State Police surveillance of advocacy groups was
      | far more extensive than previously acknowledged, with records
      | showing that troopers monitored -- and labeled as terrorists
      | -- activists devoted to such wide-ranging causes as promoting
      | human rights and establishing bike lanes.

      =v= They mean Amnesty International and Critical Mass. After
      all, Critical Mass = terrorism = bike lanes.

      =v= The article mentions NYPD "intelligence" documents from the
      2004 Republican National Convention. One of these happened to
      mention a Critical Mass "chapter" in Baltimore, Maryland:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/503024293/

      Supposedly this "chapter" (whose website in Austin, Texas) was
      going to come to NYC by bus. Oh the humanity!
      <_Jym_>
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2009
        http://tinyurl.com/t3rr0r

        =v= A Critical Masser in D.C. scanned in a sidebar feature
        to that _Post_ story:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/3176053960/

        Near the bottom:

        Type: Security Threat Group
        Notes:
        Intentions: This idea is about asserting the cyclists right
        [sic] to the road and not denying the rights of others.

        I'm not sure how the "Type" and "Intentions" make any sense
        together.

        =v= I posted this here before:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/503024293/

        I'll note that this was the NYPD's very *first* briefing about
        Critical Mass, from "intelligence" sources in Baltimore.

        BALTIMORE, MARYLAND (obtained from our intelligence sources)

        * Critical Mass -- Bike riders who protest in large numbers
        by riding very slowly in rush hour traffic to disrupt
        traffic. They target automobiles in the urban environment.

        How they got from the one description to the other is an
        interesting question.
        <_Jym_>