NYCCM: Charges Dismissed for Body-Slammed Cyclist

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2008
      =v= All charges dismissed thanks to a video collective obtaining
      and publicizing NYPD misbehavior on YouTube. Read the good news
      below.

      =v= The bad news is that this same video collective (and others,
      especially I-Witness Video) were subjected to harrassment and
      detainment by police at the RNC in the Twin Cities this year.
      Clearly the police don't like any evidence of their wrongdoing
      to surface, so they're killing the messenger instead of going
      after any actual perps.
      <_Jym_>

      --
      Green Bay Steelers for Truth

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/05/national/a081753D77.DTL

      Charges dismissed against cyclist in YouTube shove
      By SAMUEL MAULL
      Associated Press | Friday, 05-Sep-2008 11:08 PDT

      New York (AP) -- A judge dismissed charges Friday against the
      bicyclist who was body-checked and knocked to the pavement by
      a police officer in a widely viewed YouTube video.

      At the prosecution's request, Criminal Court Judge James Burke
      dropped a charge of resisting arrest against Christopher Long,
      29, of Hoboken, N.J.

      Long was arrested July 25 during a Critical Mass bicycle ride
      through Times Square. The monthly bike rides are held around the
      world to draw attention to alternatives to motor vehicles.

      Police said Long was arrested because he was obstructing traffic
      and deliberately steered his bicycle into an officer.

      After the video emerged showing the policeman knocking Long to
      the ground, the officer, Patrick Pogan, was stripped of his
      badge and gun and assigned to desk duty. Police said Friday they
      were still investigating.

      The video had been viewed some 1.5 million times since it was
      posted on YouTube soon after the incident. It shows Pogan
      shoving Long off his bike near Times Square as Long tried to
      steer out of the way.

      As he left court, Long said he was happy not to be prosecuted
      and to have the case behind him. As for Pogan's account of
      events in the criminal complaint, he said, "The video speaks for
      itself."

      Long's lawyer, David B. Rankin, said, "We're just very lucky
      this videotape surfaced, and we're very thankful the DA's office
      did the right thing in dropping these charges."

      "This was a case where the officer's sworn testimony was
      contradicted by the videotape," Rankin said. "It raises serious
      questions about other cases that don't have the luxury of a
      videotape."

      In the same week the Long video surfaced, videotape emerged of
      two other incidents showing police officers beating up
      civilians. Those cases were being investigated by the police and
      the district attorney's office.

      Rankin said Long is considering a lawsuit against the city but
      had not yet decided.

      Alicia Maxey Greene, spokeswoman for the Manhattan district
      attorney, said no decision had been made about whether to
      prosecute Pogan.
    • lemond219
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2008
        --- In critical-mass@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > this videotape surfaced, and we're very thankful the DA's office
        > did the right thing in dropping these charges."
        >
        > "This was a case where the officer's sworn testimony was
        > contradicted by the videotape," Rankin said. "It raises serious
        > questions about other cases that don't have the luxury of a
        > videotape."
        >
        > In the same week the Long video surfaced, videotape emerged of
        > two other incidents showing police officers beating up
        > civilians. Those cases were being investigated by the police and
        > the district attorney's office.
        >
        > Rankin said Long is considering a lawsuit against the city but
        > had not yet decided.
        >
        > Alicia Maxey Greene, spokeswoman for the Manhattan district
        > attorney, said no decision had been made about whether to
        > prosecute Pogan.
        >Having the police investigate these incidents is like having another
        fox investigate chickens missing in the chicken coop!!