Re: What's the story in NYC these days?

  • flotron9
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2005
      Jim, Thanks for the skinny.

      I got arrested at 14th & 7th, about 15 minutes into the ride. I
      have been wondering what happened to the ride afterward.

      The scene in the police station was a sick joke. Everybody forced
      to sit handcuffed for hours for riding bikes! The cops were very
      patronizing and almost apologetic!

      I, too, noted some undercovers in the ride. One gorilla on a
      skateboard was snapping pictures with a disposable camera of the
      arrestees after we got cuffed. It was all very Kafkaesque.

      I'm glad you made it through the ride without getting stung. Did
      everybody meet up for a big mass ride at any point?

      I got contacted by Free Wheels. I have a unique story about my
      custody. See you next month!

    • losdavos
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        Did anyone see the SUV guy going East on 23rd St., leaning out his
        window, pointing and screaming "A--hole! A--hole! A--hole! A--
        hole!"? I love him.

        Once again, in my repetetive and humble opinion, red-light-stopping
        mini-masses are the way to go. They slow down the animals in cars even
        more, but they don't cause problems for our fellow human beings, i.e.,
        pedestrians.

        Fun ride overall. I hope the arrestees got out quickly and without
        much trouble.

        P.S. "Let the bus go!!"
      • Wayne Huang
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          I got to Union Square a little late so I didn't hear
          the new 'procedure' to break into mini masses and stop
          at reds. What was the reason behind this?

          There were some people in my group complaining that
          the stopping at reds was causing a lot of problems.

          Also, did anyone notice the suspicious activity on the
          part of FDNY? At one instance a firetruck, seemingly
          out of nowhere, begins making it's way through the
          mass, at another, a FDNY ambulance blasts it sirens
          through an intersection we happened to be crossing at
          the moment.

          However, the mass was aware enough to stop at the red
          light to let it pass.

          Interesting happenings.

          --- losdavos <losdavos@...> wrote:

          > Did anyone see the SUV guy going East on 23rd St.,
          > leaning out his
          > window, pointing and screaming "A--hole! A--hole!
          > A--hole! A--
          > hole!"? I love him.
          >
          > Once again, in my repetetive and humble opinion,
          > red-light-stopping
          > mini-masses are the way to go. They slow down the
          > animals in cars even
          > more, but they don't cause problems for our fellow
          > human beings, i.e.,
          > pedestrians.
          >
          > Fun ride overall. I hope the arrestees got out
          > quickly and without
          > much trouble.
          >
          > P.S. "Let the bus go!!"

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • losdavos
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            Neither did I see much of the rally (I did get to talk to Norman
            Siegel and his colleague for a couple minutes, though, which was
            nice). So having missed most of that, I don't know if there was
            any "procedure" advocated, but I highly doubt it--that would be
            pretty unusual. I'm sure someone here will answer us on that.

            I imagine that most people who stopped at red lights just did so
            because they chose to, not because of some new procedure. And when
            people do stop at red lights, it just has the natural effect of
            breaking up the ride into mini masses--again, I don't think it was
            planned.

            I know that stopping at reds and breaking up into minis are less fun,
            but here (and sometimes at the rides) I always advocate stopping at
            red lights. Not everyone agrees with me, as many loud, old arguments
            have shown! :)

            (Forgive me for my first-ever sincere use of an emoticon.)

            As your and other reports from the last NYC ride suggest, "the
            authorities" may have been up to sneaky sh$& to try to put the riders
            in bad situations. I know those reports can be used as arguments
            against my stopping at red lights position, but as people have
            pointed out to me, "they'll (cops) do whatever they want anyway." To
            me this creates even more of a reason for CMers to show that they're
            even better behaved than the forces cracking down on them. Romantic
            and tragic, I know.

            And hey, I do hope that when that glorious day comes when better,
            more fair cycling laws are implemented, the law will stipulate that
            cyclists and pedestrians can run red lights at their discretion. But
            for now, I think we should be the exemplars of good behavior.

            --- In critical-mass@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Huang <wayneh6@y...>