Kumoricon

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      Did anyone else make it to this con in Portland this weekend? It was a
      blast for my first con. The sole reason for driving 2 hrs and paying
      through the nose for gas? I got to meet two of my top three fave VA's,
      Kirk Thornton and Richard Epcar. Only Crispin remains elusive, lol. I
      think one of the most inventive costumes was a Mecha Alucard. All the
      Alucards (about 6-8) posed for a group shot. My husband's friend is an
      artist and had a booth on Artist Alley, so my honey's band got to share
      space and sell their t-shirts and CD. I may get a booth next year and
      sell some art. Who knows? Anyone else want to share their experiences
      at Kumoricon?
    • mkvisini
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
        Well I don't live in Oregon, I live down here in California - but I went
        to my first con (as just a fan-my very 1st con, I worked on staff, so
        total, I've been to 2) this past weekend, too! Sacanime! So I am likely
        right in the same headspace as you are right now...I'd have to say one
        of the funniest costumes I saw, & caught on camera, this weekend would
        have to be The Swiffer Ninja - yes, you did read that right. A ninja
        running around with a Swiffer for a weapon...I loved it for its pure
        sense of humor. But my buyfriend wins the gold medal for catching one
        Super-Fan dressed as Shin-Chan (HEY LUCA ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?!)
        doing a full-blown you-know-what dance on film - and the guy even asked
        him to put it up on YouTube for him!! I was busy enjoying Spike
        Spencer's 'How To Be A Frickin' Genius Voice-Actor' panel @the time, so
        I didn't get to see it in person.

        The downside to this particular con is DEFINITELY the HEAT. Final #s:
        Highs of 106 degrees on Friday, & 104 degrees on Saturday, & 91 degrees
        on Sunday. And I don't have a car. So what in The World could be so
        worth it @any con to suffer thru weather that felt like an Eternal Hair
        Dryer jutsu? Well, Crispin Freeman, of course. :) This con is the Bay
        Area's chance to meet & greet w/the man himself - & I'm oh-so-happy to
        be able to say I was, like, 6th in line for Saturday's autograph
        session. And the truly fun part was bringing my boyfriend's 9yo son (who
        is a TOTAL Narut'otaku) & introducing him to Freeman-dono, and then to
        to Liam O'Brien right after that. His jaw hit the ground though when I
        explained that Neil Kaplan, who was generous enough to give me an
        autograph that he normally would have charged for (for taking care of
        all the honored guests at AOD in San Francisco in February so well, he
        said, awwww), was the voice of Optimus Prime. Anyways, the little guy
        ran around for the rest of the weekend doing this really cute imitation
        of Freeman-dono's voice - hilarious!! The Uber Highlight of the con for
        me was Freeman-san's mythology panel on Sunday; I'd been led to believe
        beforehand that it was not too be missed at any cost, & yes, folks, it
        really was that good. Bravo!!
      • Shannon Galarneau
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 10, 2008
          I personally wasnt there but the Miniskirt Army was in Full swing with Division 17 and her "Un prepared" Panel. IT was a test panel to help us help out our division leaders with Cons. The panel was a success..... To outsiders... To the Admins for the MSA it was a halarious epic FAIL.. lols

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
            I went to Kumori-con as Alucard! ^^ There were so many Alucards! I wish Crispin Freeman was a guest there, there were so many Hellsing cosplayers! It would have been fun. ^^ Kumori-con what the best!