Re: Dub Quality?

  • mkvisini
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2008
      True....Shin just might...but for the chance to see that dance of his
      live & in person? I dunno...;)

      Flag: http://www.flag20xx.net/
    • lucadomain
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
        Yeah, that's true. That dance is priceless. As long as me and his butt
        have a well placed distance from one another.

        I actually checked it out already. I was curious. It looks really
        cool, but I couldn't find any clips on Youtube to give me more info.
        The site didn't really help either (can't read Japanese >.>) but it
        looks interesting all the same!

        --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "mkvisini"
        <mkvisini@...> wrote:

        > True....Shin just might...but for the chance to see that dance of his
        > live & in person? I dunno...;)
        >
        > Flag: http://www.flag20xx.net/

      • nocturnal_pantherd
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
          From the pictures, it looks like it has a similar plotline with the
          game, "Beyond Good and Evil" where you have to take pics of the
          evildoers and foriegn fauna, etc. I'm liking the integration of 2D and
          3D they have in there, like Ghost in the Shell. It looks very
          promising, I must research more about Flag. Thanks for the info :)

          <mkvisini@...> wrote:

          > True....Shin just might...but for the chance to see that dance of his
          > live & in person? I dunno...;)
          >
          > Flag: http://www.flag20xx.net/

        • sarahvait
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2008
            >So, you're right, staying true to the original is hard
            > to do because there wouldn't be an established connection with an
            > American audience. I wonder if sub-fans consider that before they gone
            > on full-rants about this issue. :)

            You'd be surprised, actually. The distaste that many anime fans have
            for dubs is actually a lot deeper than you may think. At least for the
            more intelligent ones that aren't just "BLarGH, I hate DUbs they
            STInkiE!"

            I became good friends with a fan who really hates dubs. I mean REALLY
            hates them. I'd like to do justice to his side of the argument,
            because it is well thought out and not lacking in logic. But I'm not
            good at expressing myself outside my own brain, so I can't really
            duplicate it. But what's funny is that his reasoning for disliking
            dubs is actually pretty concurrent with my own thinking; my ultimate
            conclusion just came out differently. He knows I want to be involved
            in anime dubs and asks me why I want to degrade myself that way? LOL.

            If you asked me if I thought that anime needed dubs at all, my honest
            answer would be no. You got working eyes and fifth grade reading
            skills? You're pretty much set with anything that comes with
            subtitles. Now, do I think many things of value have come from dubs,
            like different, interesting takes on characterizations, great
            performances, and people connecting to a show on a deeper level despite
            it not being in the original language, the characters not being the way
            they were first intrepreted, or heck, not even being that great a dub?
            Absolutely. That's why I love good dubs so much. It's reason I defend
            them and try to make the haters see what can be good about them. I
            think the cultural aspect of anime is extremely important, but in the
            end what I think matters is what helps you connect to the show and
            emotionally. And sometimes, for me, it's the dub that I connect to,
            not the original version.

            Bleh. I'm done. Truthfully, I hate this topic whenever it pops up
            anywhere. I'm always radiating between guilt and worry and other
            confusing thoughts when I try to sort out how I feel about the whole
            thing.

            Sarah
            "The bad news is that we're going to have to remove your brain and
            place it in an armored tank to shoot down innocent civilians with its
            psychic death beam. The good news is that your insurance is gonna cover
            the whole thing."
            (Dr. Loboto, Psychonauts)
          • mkvisini
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2008
              I am totally pressed for time, so I will so only this for now, & promise
              to give a more complete response soon: AHA! Here is a copy of the link
              to Anime News Network's review of Flag DVD vol 1:
              http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/flag/dvd-1
              <http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/flag/dvd-1> . Wow, such an
              awesome review...and I always thought the reviewers @Anime News Network
              were permanently stuck on giving negative reviews; or maybe, & I do
              think this is the more likely scenario, Flag really is as good a series
              as I think it is. If you guys do check it out, make sure you listen to
              the closing theme song - it's REALLY good!!

              Not YouTube again...oh luca, dear, let me help you out: Netflix. They
              have EVERYTHING as soon as its avl give or take their own inventory
              processing time. They've NEVER disappointed me - old series or new,
              they've got it all. & even I can afford their monthly membership fees, &
              I'm on Federal Disability.

            • lucadomain
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2008
                lol, Yeah, the biggest problems with some dubs is that they have
                really bad actors. But I believe I've watched a lot of very good ones
                and that's why I always jump up and say, "Wait a second--not all dubs
                are bad, people." Because they aren't ALL bad. I really prefer them
                because it's what I grew up with, it's what I'm use to, and I kinda
                admire voice actors. And I've watched some subs too...albeit...not for
                a very long time. So really...it's a no-win battle. I just love voice
                actors so I always watch to study them...yeah...that sounds
                weird...but I respect them a lot. More so than live-action actors.

                --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "sarahvait"