Re: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Confused and in desperate need of some direction

  • PJ Olson
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 9:46 PM
      I'm not Crispin and I'm positive that Crispin and our esteemed members awho are already in the industry can offer you more specific and more valuable advice in the voice acting profession. What I can humbly offer you is my two cents in a general sense.

      Are there any opportunities that you can explore such as your church community or at school? If there aren't any opportunities, would there be a way for you to start advocating for that opportunity to exist? For example, I had a good amount of youth who wanted to explore acting or just to have a taste of it at my old church community but their parents are just cautious about who they are with after school or outside the church communty for very good reasons. So we all worked together in making it happen and their parents warmed up to the idea after they watched their respective children at work. They learned the amount of dedication and passion needed for such creative work. They also learned and experienced the pains and rewards of doing so. Another piece of advice that I humbly offer you is have a heart-to-heart talk with your mother to let her know that you want to explore this path and it would mean so much to you if you could have her "buy in" or support.

      But of course, the advice above only addresses things on a smaller scale and the stakes are definitely much higher if the profession happens to be your bread and butter.

      You could also start honing your skills even by yourself. You could do "readings," tape your voice, and critique it...then do that process again. There are books out there that have exercises to improve your voice, but of course this doesn't replace the invaluable learning that comes from learning with a voice coach or teacher.

      The piece of advice that I offer on the above part has something to do on when you ask others to listen to what you did and they give you a negative comment -- pick the person who's going to critique you (as in you're aiming for objectivity here, so the more objective/truthful the better), pick the constructive/objective parts of their critique (what you do well on as well as things that you should improve on), tune out the things that are not constructive. For example, "you suck" and "it's bad" doesn't help anyone improve. However, if the comment given was "your voice sounds too pitchy or shrill, maybe you should...." then that's a constructive comment. Focus on improving and honing your skills and learn from those critiques.

      You've also done a very good step without realizing it -- networking. By joining this fansite and we're blessed that Crispin and our mods are gracious in fostering such an environment, you're in an encouraging environment to explore and ponder on those questions you're asking everyone right now. Talking to as many people in the profession can help you gain a good perspective and help you choose what options/routes you'd like to take. You can start by talking to the people in your community such as your community theater, develop a friendly relationship with them, and ask those questions. The piece of advice that I offer you on this part is do your best to keep an objective viewpoint when you have these conversations because at times, you'll get conflicting advice (a good example is the "too old" versus "too young" statement that you've made in your post). Everything is subjective and what might work for one might not work for another.

      There's always that fear of "not getting anywhere" or "not making it." It happens in any profession. It happens at any age. You're not alone in that *hugs* The mere fact that you're thinking thoroughly about this path and asking questions, in my opinion, helps minimize the fear and the risk element because you're more prepared to face those obstacles.

      The best of luck to you and I hope that I was able to help you...

      Regards,

      PJ

      lucadomain <lucadomain@...> wrote:
      Hello Mr. Freeman,

      I'm an aspiring voice actress. I have read a many things on the voice
      talent business and I know that I have to go through a certain number
      of obstacles to break into it. The first obstacle I'm trying to
      overcome is training as an actor. I desperately want to join theater
      in my school and the local community theater, but I'm having some
      trouble. I have no transportation and basically no way to get to and
      fro from classes. I would carpool with someone but my mother is iffy
      about things like that. Are there any other resources I can turn to?

      Also, I'm fairly young and trying to break into this business. Many
      people around me have suggested that I wait until I'm older and able
      to control my situation more, so I won't have all of these problems. I
      guess what I'm most afraid of is being too old to be considered for a
      voice acting position, or not having enough experience now, and then
      because of that I won't get anywhere later. I'm sure it sounds silly
      but I'm worried to death about it. Any suggestions?

      PS. Are there going to be any anime conventions coming to Michigan
      anytime soon? And if so, can I hope to see you there?

      Your Fan,

      Christina

    • Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        > There's always that fear of "not getting anywhere" or "not making
        it." It happens in any profession. It happens at any age. You're
        not alone in that *hugs* The mere fact that you're thinking
        thoroughly about this path and asking questions, in my opinion, helps
        minimize the fear and the risk element because you're more prepared to
        face those obstacles.

        "Great Post PJ, and I wanted to add my 2 cents here on this. I feel
        that if you want to have something, you'll have it. I'm not a
        professional actor, I'm a librarian. But I am an actor. I act at work
        (try entertaining a room full of 3 year olds lol), I act in my local
        community theater, etc. I feel that if you're doing what you love,
        then you are never failing. You might not make a paycheck at it, but
        thats not a failure.

        So I'd say to you, my young thespian friend, if you want to act, then
        act. Even if its just practicing along with the TV turned down and the
        subtitles on, do it. And if you can't go to where the theater is,
        bring it to you. Many a summer did I hijack my friends and put on
        plays in my backyard for the neighborhood kids. If you do that, you
        can't be a failure.
      • lucadomain
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe"
          <raven_summersong@...> wrote:

          > > There's always that fear of "not getting anywhere" or "not making
          > it." It happens in any profession. It happens at any age. You're
          > not alone in that *hugs* The mere fact that you're thinking
          > thoroughly about this path and asking questions, in my opinion, helps
          > minimize the fear and the risk element because you're more prepared to
          > face those obstacles.
          > >

          > "Great Post PJ, and I wanted to add my 2 cents here on this. I feel
          > that if you want to have something, you'll have it. I'm not a
          > professional actor, I'm a librarian. But I am an actor. I act at work
          > (try entertaining a room full of 3 year olds lol), I act in my local
          > community theater, etc. I feel that if you're doing what you love,
          > then you are never failing. You might not make a paycheck at it, but
          > thats not a failure.
          >
          > So I'd say to you, my young thespian friend, if you want to act, then
          > act. Even if its just practicing along with the TV turned down and the
          > subtitles on, do it. And if you can't go to where the theater is,
          > bring it to you. Many a summer did I hijack my friends and put on
          > plays in my backyard for the neighborhood kids. If you do that, you
          > can't be a failure.

          Wow. Thanks. That just gave me a big confidence boost that I was in
          desperate need of. Sometimes I think up a bunch of characters and try
          to give them unique voices. I kinda thought it was juvenile at first
          (not to mention my parents thought I was crazy when I was yelling in
          my room) but now I feel like I'm doing it for a reason.

          I truly thank you. You don't know how much you've helped me.
        • lucadomain
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, PJ Olson
            <mysticariadne@...> wrote:

> [...]
            objective viewpoint when you have these conversations because at
            times, you'll get conflicting advice (a good example is the "too old"
            versus "too young" statement that you've made in your post).
            Everything is subjective and what might work for one might not work
            for another.

            > There's always that fear of "not getting anywhere" or "not making
            it." It happens in any profession. It happens at any age. You're
            not alone in that *hugs* The mere fact that you're thinking
            thoroughly about this path and asking questions, in my opinion, helps
            minimize the fear and the risk element because you're more prepared to
            face those obstacles.

            > The best of luck to you and I hope that I was able to help you...
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > PJ
            >

            > Thank you so much, PJ. Really, you don't know what this means to me.

            I especially need to work on that "heart to heart" talk with my
            mother. She says she's interested in my aspirations for acting, but
            she's not really. She'd probably much rather see me singing or doing
            something else, rather than being on stage. That, or she just doesn't
            see what it really means to me. I wish I could convince her and get a
            better response then," okay dear, that's nice. Did you clean up the
            kitchen?"

            But that isn't to say she doesn't support me. Actions speak louder
            than words with her.

            All that aside, I really do appreciate your advice. I think I might
            consider looking into my church for some backup here. Something I was
            not willing to do before.

            And I always want to thank you for the polite response. I'm all to use
            to hearing, "just act and quit playing."

          • sarahvait
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              > I especially need to work on that "heart to heart" talk with my
              > mother. She says she's interested in my aspirations for acting, but
              > she's not really. She'd probably much rather see me singing or doing
              > something else, rather than being on stage. That, or she just
              doesn't
              > see what it really means to me. I wish I could convince her and get
              > better response then," okay dear, that's nice. Did you clean up the
              > kitchen?"
              >
              > But that isn't to say she doesn't support me. Actions speak louder
              > than words with her.
              >
              > All that aside, I really do appreciate your advice. I think I might
              > consider looking into my church for some backup here. Something I
              was
              > not willing to do before.
              >
              > And I always want to thank you for the polite response. I'm all to
              use
              > to hearing, "just act and quit playing."

              Oh dear God, I know that feeling. My dad is exactly like that. He's
              always saying, "You could just do radio here in Indy", or "Why don't
              you just go to New York and do voice overs there?" I'm getting to
              the point of ranting trying to get him to understand that my passion
              lies in animation voice overs, not commercial or radio. Don't get me
              wrong, I wouldn't mind doing commercial stuff if I was offered the
              chance. Marla and Jeannie have both said that I have a very
              marketable vocal personality when it comes to commercial stuff. My
              problem is that there's some technique to it that I have yet to
              grasp, wereas I jump for joy and do really well when given animation
              copy.
              I'm sure my dad's other thought is that I could just start in New
              York at first, you know, cut my teeth in the business. It's also a
              perk that my sister lives there and likes to promote me to her higher
              ups at Nick at Nite, and she can effectively play mother to me so I
              don't screw up. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, or be one
              of the cliche "I want to earn my place by myself" kind of people, but
              yeah. Bleh.

              Sarah
              "There was no reason why these fights couldn't have been playable,
              but the game seemed afraid that I would cramp it's style. It's like
              Devil May Cry 4 invited me out to a bar, then left me alone in the
              corner nursing a Strongbow while he busily tore up the dance floor
              with a giggling society girl. Eventually she was called away by her
              cackling friends and he came back to our table with fresh drinks and
              apologies, but I won't forget this betrayal. OH NO."
              (Yahtzee, Zero Punctuation)
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                Hey there Christina. Others have answered this question very well and I
                would take their suggestions. There's a some very wise people in this
                group.

                One fear I can allay is that you will never be too old to be a voice actor.
                Luckily, voice acting doesn't depend on your looks, either good or bad. It
                depends on your talent and your ability to market yourself. You can do that
                at any time in life. But why wait? If there's anything I've learned in
                life it's that we should follow our interests as quickly and with as much
                commitment as possible. Someone, I can't remember who, was once asked if
                they had their life to live over again, what would they change? Their
                answer was that they wouldn't change a thing, they would make all the same
                decisions, just faster and with a deeper commitment. That way they could
                live more of life rather than hesitating. I think that's very wise. I'm
                not sure I would change anything, I just wouldn't waffle on my decisions so
                much. If voice acting is something you think you'd like to do, then pursue
                it with as much gusto as possible. If it is truly what will make you happy,
                then you'll spend more of your life pleased. If you discover that it's
                enjoyable, but not your true passion, better to find that out sooner rather
                than later.

                Best of luck in your endeavors.
                Voice Actor/Director
                crispinfreeman@...
                http://www.crispinfreeman.com

                > From: lucadomain <lucadomain@...>
                > Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 01:57:53 -0000
                > To: <crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Confused and in desperate need of some
                > direction
                >
                > Hello Mr. Freeman,
                >
                > I'm an aspiring voice actress. I have read a many things on the voice
                > talent business and I know that I have to go through a certain number
                > of obstacles to break into it. The first obstacle I'm trying to
                > overcome is training as an actor. I desperately want to join theater
                > in my school and the local community theater, but I'm having some
                > trouble. I have no transportation and basically no way to get to and
                > fro from classes. I would carpool with someone but my mother is iffy
                > about things like that. Are there any other resources I can turn to?
                >
                > Also, I'm fairly young and trying to break into this business. Many
                > people around me have suggested that I wait until I'm older and able
                > to control my situation more, so I won't have all of these problems. I
                > guess what I'm most afraid of is being too old to be considered for a
                > voice acting position, or not having enough experience now, and then
                > because of that I won't get anywhere later. I'm sure it sounds silly
                > but I'm worried to death about it. Any suggestions?
                >
                > PS. Are there going to be any anime conventions coming to Michigan
                > anytime soon? And if so, can I hope to see you there?
                >
                > Your Fan,
                >
                > Christina

              • Tiana
                Message 7 of 15 , May 12, 2008
                  I'll say, I can't tell you how many times I've been
                  surprised by the faces behind some of my favorite VAs.
                  Just look at Crispin, he's way hotter than necessary!

                  ...*sheepish* Forgive me if that sounded shallow.

                  -T

                  --- Crispin Freeman <crispinfreeman@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Luckily, voice acting doesn't depend on your looks,
                  > either good or bad. It
                  > depends on your talent and your ability to market
                  > yourself.

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • PJ Olson
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 13, 2008
                    *lol*

                    Don't worry, Tiana. Many of the fans here agree with you on that end :)

                    wrote:

                    > Luckily, voice acting doesn't depend on your looks,
                    > either good or bad. It
                    > depends on your talent and your ability to market
                    > yourself.

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  • sirintegrafwhellsing
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 13, 2008
                      ^.^ Tiana, at least you're speaking the truth.
                      And Crispin does a great job with voicing some of my favorite
                      characters! Keep up the good work Crispin!

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 24, 2008
                        Not shallow at all. At times, it felt like my looks worked against me
                        because it didn't match my face. I looked like I should be on Dawson's
                        Creek when I was younger, but I sounded like I should be on the BBC in some
                        Shakespeare production. Needless to say, people found it hard to cast me.

                        That's why I prefer voice acting. I can look however I want in real life
                        and then just go in and act. I never would've had the courage to bleach my
                        hair when I was a theatrical actor. It would've narrowed the parts I
                        could've been cast in. Now I have the freedom to look however I want. It
                        may seem silly, but it's very liberating for me.
                        Voice Actor/Director
                        crispinfreeman@...
                        http://www.crispinfreeman.com

                        > From: Tiana <your_average_female@...>
                        > Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
                        > To: <crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: Re: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Confused and in desperate need of some
                        > direction
                        >
                        > I'll say, I can't tell you how many times I've been
                        > surprised by the faces behind some of my favorite VAs.
                        > Just look at Crispin, he's way hotter than necessary!
                        >
                        > ...*sheepish* Forgive me if that sounded shallow.
                        >
                        > -T
                        >
                        > --- Crispin Freeman <crispinfreeman@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> Luckily, voice acting doesn't depend on your looks,
                        >> either good or bad. It
                        >> depends on your talent and your ability to market
                        >> yourself.

                      • Tiana
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 2008
                          Hmmm, that would be an interesting show. Some kinda
                          angsty drama or sitcom starring all voice actors? That
                          would be great!

                          And I dunno, I think your voice does match your looks.
                          I mean, seriously, your headshots look like,
                          model-worthy. Add that to the intelligence, charisma,
                          charm and talent, and you've got one totally awe
                          inspiring man right there.

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 31, 2008
                            Awww, shucks... (blush). Well thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you
                            think my voice matches my looks. But when I was younger I sounded far too
                            polished to be believed as a teenager on TV. I'm sorta glad about that now
                            though.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
                              O_O Wow, I made him blush. Go me! XD

                              But seriously, not believable as a teenager? Hmm, ten
                              years ago I might've been offended if I heard someone
                              say that, as if it wasn't possible that a teenager
                              could be that intelligent. Nowadays, as I see how
                              teenagers act, I suppose that isn't much of an
                              insult...

                              Anyway, isn't there always a role on teen dramas for a
                              sensitive emo guy, sort of a rival for the main "hot
                              guy" role? Not to say you're not hot, but we've gone
                              over that. :)

                              To make a long story short, those guys didn't know
                              what they were missing. And hey, who knows, if they
                              had taken you on, we voice actor fangirls might have
                              missed out in the long run!

                              Just for curiosity's sake, just what sort of shows did
                              you try out for anyway? If you don't mind me asking.
                              :)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 12, 2008
                                I believe they wanted me to audition for Queer as Folk and some other shows.
                                But I honestly can't remember now, it's been so long ago. Plus I was in NY
                                so there wasn't as much television to audition for as there is in LA.