Question about anime scripts

  • Chris Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2008
      I'd like to ask Crispin, or anyone who knows really about one thing in
      particular. I've been developing a keen interest in writing for a while
      and lately been trying to train myself in script writing.

      One thing I've been wondering ever since I started looking into the
      specifics of script writing, is this: Does an anime script differ
      significantly from a screenplay or American TV script, and if so how?
      Not just in format but substance. Every course, program or tutorial in
      screenwriting has been focused on American film with occasional options
      for American TV writing. I've checked on every available place on the
      internet and at best found only dialog transcripts of anime. This makes
      me wonder, if you were to want to write an anime script from the start
      (versus adapting a story from another medium), how would you go about
      it opposed to traditional screenwriting?

      Any info would be extremely appreciated, as it'll help me trying to
      refine my writing immensely. Thanks in advance - Chris
    • Dave-dono
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 7:28 AM
        If you are going to write a script for a Japanese animation company to
        produce you will need to get someone to translate it into Japanese.
        The scripts that the English actors use are adaptations of the Japanese
        scripts. They have been carefully translated and slightly modified to
        make them easier for North Americans to understand. They also have to
        match the characters lip flaps. I believe they also have to have time
        codes on them to match up with the video. I hope that helps.

        Dave-dono
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 10:27 AM
          I guess I'm not sure I understand why you're interested in writing an
          "anime" script. Unless you're writing a script in Japanese for Japanese
          speaking actors in a Japanese production, I'm not sure it's going to help
          you much to know the official anime script format.

          Now if you'd like to write a screenplay in English that contains the
          sophistication and storytelling aspects of your favorite anime, you can do
          that in many standard movie and/or TV screenplay formats. Most
          screenwriting programs have those templates already built in. It's up to
          you then to write a story that contains the elements that you enjoy from
          anime.

          If you're interested in adapting scripts for English dubbing, that is its
          own specialized niche, but it doesn't take that long to get familiar with
          its conventions. In that case, you'll use whatever form the recording
          studio likes to use.

          In the end, formatting can only make your script *look* professional. As
          always, however, the content is more important than the formatting.

          If you want to break down the substance of why anime stories are different
          from American animation or even live-action, that is something you'll have
          to discover for yourself through studying story and breaking down the
          elements of the stories you like. That's what I do with my mythology
          studies, I break down what I find interesting and captivating about my
          favorite anime and how it differs from American animation storytelling and
          mythology. It's a broad subject. I spend most of my time after watching a
          film trying to break down the story to see if I could improve it in any way,
          whether I liked the film or not.

          There are plenty of film critics and academics that do their best to
          interpret different film makers and different styles of film making. Susan
          Napier does it in anime, as does Antonia Levi. Donald Richie is a very
          famous writer on Japanese cinema in general. Those would be great places to
          start.

          Good hunting.
          Voice Actor/Director
          crispinfreeman@...