Re: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Re: FMA Movie part

  • Brian Baker
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2006
      Do they even have that Con anymore?
      Brian
      MKRayearth
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: rsjastro
      To: crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:23 AM
      Subject: [crispin_freeman_fansite] Re: FMA Movie part

      Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently there is someone in Texas
      with a similar voice as yours. Do you have any plans to go to the
      Big Apple Anime Fest in New York City? That is pretty much the only
      con within a days drive of me.

      Dave

      --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, Crispin Freeman
      <crispinfreeman@...> wrote:

      > > Hi Crispin,
      > >
      > > I know you don't usually work in Texas, but in the Fullmetal
      Alchemist
      > > Movie Conqueror Of Shamballa the English part of Erik Jan Hanussen
      > > (during the carnival scene at the beginning of the movie) sounded
      > > LOT like your Colin character from the show Planetes. I even
      rewound
      > > it and listened to it a second time just in case I was imagining
      > > things. Is that you? I didn't see your name in the credits.
      The guy
      > > who does the voice of Kiba in Naruto is a regular on FMA, so I
      thought
      > > he might of hooked you up. Just curious.
      > >
      > > Knock 'em dead in Minneapolis. If I wasn't in another time zone
      I'd
      > > go hear your presentation.
      > >
      > > Dave
      >
      > Nope. Wasn't me in the Full Metal Alchemist Movie. As far as I
      know it was
      > done non-union.
      >
      > Thanks for the Minneapolis well wishes. This will probably be the
      new form
      > of my Mythology Presentation so if we're at a con together and the
      con has
      > requested my panel, then I'm sure you'll get to see it.
      >
      > --
      > Crispin Freeman
      > Voice Actor/Director
      > crispinfreeman@...
      > http://www.crispinfreeman.com

    • rsjastro
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
        I just went to their website. Apparently they have discontinued it.
        Bummer.

        Dave

        --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Baker"

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
          Yea i think i went to last one in like 2003.
          Good con sorry its gone got to see Intial D 3rd stage on the big screen
          Brian
          MKRayearth

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 6, 2006
            > Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently there is someone in Texas
            > with a similar voice as yours. Do you have any plans to go to the
            > Big Apple Anime Fest in New York City? That is pretty much the only
            > con within a days drive of me.
            >
            > Dave

            As with all conventions, the convention must first invite me and only then
            can we begin negotiations to see if it is feasible for me to attend.
            Therefore, I don't have any plans to go to NYC, but I might if the
            convention invited me.

            I feel like I say this a lot, that conventions need to invite me in order
            for me not to be an unwelcome guest at their event. Do most fans think that
            voice actors just decide which conventions to attend and then go to them?
            Is that why they ask whether or not I'll be at a convention and if I can do
            my best to get there? Just curious.

            Voice Actor/Director
            crispinfreeman@...
            http://www.crispinfreeman.com
          • Kyle
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
              Makes sense. While us anime fans love your voices, anime dubbing
              voice actors aren't quite at the same celebrity level as Johnny
              Depp. You probably can't just choose when and where you get to show
              up, on a whim. No offense meant.

              <crispinfreeman@...> wrote:
              > As with all conventions, the convention must first invite me and
              only then
              > can we begin negotiations to see if it is feasible for me to
              attend.
              > Therefore, I don't have any plans to go to NYC, but I might if the
              > convention invited me.
              >
              > I feel like I say this a lot, that conventions need to invite me
              in order
              > for me not to be an unwelcome guest at their event. Do most fans
              think that
              > voice actors just decide which conventions to attend and then go
              to them?
              > Is that why they ask whether or not I'll be at a convention and if
              I can do
              > my best to get there? Just curious.
              >
              > --
              > Crispin Freeman
              > Voice Actor/Director
              > crispinfreeman@...
              > http://www.crispinfreeman.com

            • Riza Hawkeye
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                It depends on the fan, some are curious about whether or not you'll
                attend because most are first time Convention goers and some are
                just big time fans and have never met a particular voice actor or
                actress. Either way, yeah, I hope that clears some things up.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                  Actually, I thought that the production companies like Geneon, Bandia
                  and Manga who have new shows to promote arranged the actors
                  appearances at conventions. I guess I have it backwards.

                  <crispinfreeman@...> wrote:

                  > As with all conventions, the convention must first invite me and
                  only then
                  > can we begin negotiations to see if it is feasible for me to attend.
                  > Therefore, I don't have any plans to go to NYC, but I might if the
                  > convention invited me.
                  >
                  > I feel like I say this a lot, that conventions need to invite me in
                  order
                  > for me not to be an unwelcome guest at their event. Do most fans
                  think that
                  > voice actors just decide which conventions to attend and then go to
                  them?
                  > Is that why they ask whether or not I'll be at a convention and if
                  I can do
                  > my best to get there? Just curious.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Crispin Freeman
                  > Voice Actor/Director
                  > crispinfreeman@...
                  > http://www.crispinfreeman.com

                • Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                    > Actually, I thought that the production companies like Geneon, Bandia
                    > and Manga who have new shows to promote arranged the actors
                    > appearances at conventions. I guess I have it backwards.

                    While generealy its the con that asks the actor to come, I do believe
                    once in a great while a company will ask a con to host an actor to
                    promote something athough its not often. (I think ADV does it
                    occasionaly).

                    Once in a great while actors will send out e-mails to guest relations
                    people (Like me) with info about themselves and "If you want to invite
                    me I'm avaliable" messages (My experiance is that these are noramly
                    from agents or actors with an appearance fee looking to pcik up a
                    little buisness, but not always)

                    Ultimately tho, the con MUST invite the actor. Even if the actor
                    themselves or the company request an invitation, the con is not
                    obligated to take it, and there are some reasons they dont.

                    (1) Appearance Fees. Many cons I work for simply cant afford appearance
                    fees at all. This alone can make a con reject a guest idea.

                    (2) Travel costs. Particularly with smaller cons. With a limited
                    budget, sometimes we look to bring in local actors Vs. flying people
                    from across the contry. For example, for my conventions, if we wanted
                    Crispin we would have to pay to fly him from LA to New England. An
                    expensive prospect. While, say, a new york voice actor can drive to the
                    con or take the train...much cheeper.

                    While a small con in say.....san fransisco could get Crispin much more
                    affordably that say Michael Sinterniklaas, who's out of New York.

                    3) avaliablility. Some guests, Greg Ayers is a good example, just have
                    so many cons its hard to get them unless you get ahold of them a year
                    or longer in advance.

                    4) Con Capacity. Sometimes by the time a guest is suggested or requests
                    to be invited, the budget is just stretched too thin. If I only have a
                    budget for 4 guests, and I've already invited the four I can have, it
                    doesn't matter if some VA begged to come I simply wouldnt have the
                    budget for their room, food, etc.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                      > Actually, I thought that the production companies like Geneon, Bandia
                      > and Manga who have new shows to promote arranged the actors
                      > appearances at conventions. I guess I have it backwards.
                      >
                      > Dave

                      Traditionally, that has not been the case. Remember that it's only in
                      recent years that dub actors have attained any celebrity at all. In the
                      past, we were those bastards that ruined people's anime for them.

                      Recently, there have been instances of some licensing companies bringing
                      some voice actors with them in order to promote stuff, but that's very
                      recent and on a very small scale, and usually only if the actor is in the
                      same town as the convention. Otherwise, historically a con has to
                      officially invite a voice actor as a guest and then the actor decides
                      whether or not to attend. There are conventions in the past that I really
                      liked going to, but they don't invite me back anymore so it's not really
                      appropriate for me to go there if they don't want me.

                      Hope that clears things up.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                        Thank you Crispin and Sarah for answering my question. You have
                        never ruined an anime for me Crispin. As a matter of fact, it was
                        mostly because of the dubbed versions of GITS Stand Alone Complex,
                        Wolf's Rain, and Cowboy Bebop that I became a fan of anime in the
                        first place.

                        <crispinfreeman@...> wrote:

                        > > Actually, I thought that the production companies like Geneon,
                        Bandia
                        > > and Manga who have new shows to promote arranged the actors
                        > > appearances at conventions. I guess I have it backwards.
                        > >
                        > > Dave
                        >
                        > Traditionally, that has not been the case. Remember that it's only
                        in
                        > recent years that dub actors have attained any celebrity at all.
                        In the
                        > past, we were those bastards that ruined people's anime for them.
                        >
                        > Recently, there have been instances of some licensing companies
                        bringing
                        > some voice actors with them in order to promote stuff, but that's
                        very
                        > recent and on a very small scale, and usually only if the actor is
                        in the
                        > same town as the convention. Otherwise, historically a con has to
                        > officially invite a voice actor as a guest and then the actor
                        decides
                        > whether or not to attend. There are conventions in the past that I
                        really
                        > liked going to, but they don't invite me back anymore so it's not
                        really
                        > appropriate for me to go there if they don't want me.
                        >
                        > Hope that clears things up.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Crispin Freeman
                        > Voice Actor/Director
                        > crispinfreeman@...
                        > http://www.crispinfreeman.com

                      • silvara_75
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                          Actually, the same goes for me Crispin. Before Hellsing, the only
                          anime I had ever seen and liked was Cowboy Bebop. Thanks to your
                          talent, I've been introduced to so much great anime, the list of
                          what I love is too long to mention!

                          Silv

                          --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "rsjastro"
                          <bigdavezilla@...> wrote:

                          > Thank you Crispin and Sarah for answering my question. You have
                          > never ruined an anime for me Crispin. As a matter of fact, it was
                          > mostly because of the dubbed versions of GITS Stand Alone Complex,
                          > Wolf's Rain, and Cowboy Bebop that I became a fan of anime in the
                          > first place.
                          >
                          > Dave

                        • cinderella2mirage
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                            hello LT.how nare you tonight.I'm still working on my mom to let me
                            come to cali.to come to the anime expo.if i keep up the pressure she'll
                            let me come hopefully.Because shhe now knows how much i want to go.And
                            what it means to me to meet my new friends.And fellow Rangers.So i'm
                            going to keep trying.Because it really means so much to me.And i'll be
                            there somehow.So i hope you get this and you tell Alucard,And Sir Integ
                            ra as well.Because i want them to know that i'm giving up not by a long
                            shot.so please make sure that they see this message as well.

                            Private Nina Maria Tucker Out.
                          • cinderella2mirage
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                              Hello Bigdavezilla how are you.i just saw your letter.and decided to
                              write to you.i'm writing to all the Rangers that are coming into the
                              group and into our extended family.And i'd like to welcome you into
                              the group.And into our extended family.it's nice to have you.And if
                              you want to be friends?I'll be your friend.So if you see my letter
                              then get in touch with me and we'll talk.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                                hello Lt.how are you?I really miss talking to you.and hearing from you.
                                And hearing from Alucard,And Sir Integra too.But i know that they're
                                busy.But i have something good to tell you!so please get in touch with
                                me.i can't wait to tell you.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 8, 2006
                                  Hello. Thanks for the invite.

                                  Dave

                                  --- In crispin_freeman_fansite@yahoogroups.com, "cinderella2mirage"
                                  <cinderella2mirage@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Bigdavezilla how are you.i just saw your letter.and decided to
                                  > write to you.i'm writing to all the Rangers that are coming into the
                                  > group and into our extended family.And i'd like to welcome you into
                                  > the group.And into our extended family.it's nice to have you.And if
                                  > you want to be friends?I'll be your friend.So if you see my letter
                                  > then get in touch with me and we'll talk.
                                  >
                                  > Private Nina Maria Tucker Out

                                • juunishi_star
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 9, 2006
                                    It makes sense that you would have to be invited to be a guest at a
                                    con, but most fans probably think that voice actors have enough
                                    influence that they can just say "I want to attend xyz con" and
                                    poof! they can.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 9, 2006
                                      > Thank you Crispin and Sarah for answering my question. You have
                                      > never ruined an anime for me Crispin. As a matter of fact, it was
                                      > mostly because of the dubbed versions of GITS Stand Alone Complex,
                                      > Wolf's Rain, and Cowboy Bebop that I became a fan of anime in the
                                      > first place.
                                      >
                                      > Dave

                                      Thank you. That's always nice to hear. That was my intention in getting
                                      into anime from the beginning. Thanks so much for saying that, I appreciate
                                      it.

                                      Voice Actor/Director
                                      crispinfreeman@...