Durarara!!, Shizuo, and the 'twisted love' theme.

  • Alexa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2012
      Hello! My name is Alexa. Up until recently, I wasn't aware I actually knew most of the roles you play, Crispin. I thought I had just discovered you through Durarara!!, and was surprised you had done things like Angel Sanctuary, Naruto, and .HACK (There are more that I know you from, it's just that it's 8:20 AM, and I haven't slept yet.), all of which you did a wonderful job on.
      But for the moment, I'm going to focus on the anime Durarara!!
      I'm sure you might have received questions similar to this one, but I was wondering about your thoughts on a little pairing most fans might know as Shizaya. Specifically how you felt about it knowing there's a 'twisted love' theme to the anime. Shizu-chan's a little obsessive when it comes to Izaya-kun, examples being when something's wrong, he always thinks it's Izaya's doing (Whether it is or isn't his doing really isn't all that important.), or how he is dead set on killing Izaya, but no one else better touch him. Knowing there is the twisted love theme, do you think it would have been at all possible for Shizuo to have been in love with Izaya? Ahh, let me rephrase that. I've always had this little theory that Shizuo could have been unknowingly in love with Izaya, and perhaps Izaya might have knowingly loved him in a sense, as he loves all of his humans. I mean, they started 'hating' each other as soon as they so much as looked at each other, and I can't help but think of the saying "Love at first sight." Do you think there could be any truth to my theory?
      I understand that might sound like a silly question, but being an active Shizuo role player, I decided I had to hear your opinion on this since you try your best to play a role with sincerity and actually try to step into their shoes, not just reading words off of a page. I don't want this to be a typical yaoi question, because I'm hoping you'll see the more in-depth meaning I'm looking for. Being a Shizuo role player, and a person who hopes to one day be able to pretty much do exactly what you do and voice act a role with my best, constantly asking myself "How would this person honestly react to this" and ect, I'm really, really hoping you can help me get a better understanding of your feel for the character.

      Also, this is completely unrelated to my question above, but I'd like to let you know that you've become my inspiration, and I want to get into voice acting for dubs because of you. And if I'm successful and have fans, and they ask me why I originally wanted to become a voice actor, I'll simply reply "Crispin Freeman."
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16 7:52 PM
        It is true that it is hard to hate someone if you don't first care about them or their opinion in some way.

        That being said, I don't think Shizuo and Izaya are in love with each other, but you can interpret their relationship in that way if you'd like. I certainly think it's an interesting way to look at it.

        Just because a cat and a dog fight all the time doesn't mean their in love with each other. But if you'd like to use a mutual attraction as the grounds for their constant bickering, by all means, go right ahead. I see no problem with it.

        However, from my perspective, I was not trying to play Shizuo with any underlying sub-text of affection or attraction to Izaya. It's fun to project that on afterwards, but I wasn't thinking that while I was playing him. However, when I played Itachi, I most certainly realized from very early on that Itachi cared for his little brother Sasuke, even when everyone was telling me Itachi was simply evil. I knew, somehow, that Itachi cared for his little brother. So there has always been a caring sub-text under my Itachi performance.

        My insights, for what they're worth´┐Ż

        I'm glad I've inspired you to become a voice actor. I hope you're enjoying my Voice Acting Mastery podcasts.
        Voice Actor / Director
        fanmail@...
        http://www.crispinfreeman.com