A word of thanks for your great work as Kyon and other roles.

  • Casey
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2011
      Hey Crispin!
      Yeah, just yer' average fan here, so this ain't much different from yer' other mail, is it? Well, just hear me out as well as ya' can, haha! I'd really appreciate it if you'd have the time to read this.

      So where do I start? I guess I'll begin where I first heard ya', and where I've continued to hear you the most out of any of your other voices that you've done.
      That would have to be Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for me. I remember when I first discovered the series in 2007, it was also around the time where anime was just something I normally didn't watch, like, nearly at all. However, upon finding this series, it quickly became huge for me and is now, still, my favorite series I've ever seen. I could go further into how much I liked it and what it was that made it so great for me, but I digress; it was fantastic.

      Hearing that much, you might be able to guess that when I heard there was an English dub for the series, I was a bit worried it wouldn't be able to hold up to the effect that the Japanese dub had on me. But I didn't think I'd be too happy with myself if I just avoided somthin' because I was a bit skeptical, that'd be stupid, so I went ahead and checked it out. To put it shortly, you all did SUCH a great job with it, and I was not disappointed in the least bit.

      Everyone in the series was good in their own merit, but I've gotta' say Crispin, you fit Kyon perfectly. The bit of sarcasm with the laid-back demeanor; it was awesome how well you managed fit him. And yeah, I'm sure it wasn't nearly as difficult for you as any of your other roles in the industry, as it sounds almost exactly like your normal voice albeit more relaxed or just a bit lower, but you did such a great job nonetheless, and I'm glad you managed to sway the worries of one of the avid fans of the series.

      Then Season 2 came along, and you brought it yet AGAIN with your voice! I remember watching Season 2 in Japanese and getting all excited again when I heard the English dub was in production. I'm sure the Endless Eight sections must've been a living nightmare for you and everybody else to voice act, so congrats, haha! Anyways, you did great. Anything having more Kyon and his cynical asides is just fine with me.

      You did some more great work in the parody series like Haruhi-Chan and Nyoron Churuya-San, but I won't get into that too much.
      What I really want to congratulate you on was the movie, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
      Here, more then any of the other times, I felt like you really got just who Kyon was and what he feels. The monologue throughout the film (and, I'm sure you know, there was a lot of it) was utterly fantastic, and sent chills up my spine and made me want to rewind and rewatch time and time again.
      The most amazing part of the film for me, when Kyon realizes how much his life in the SOS Brigade meant to him, stole my heart with your work. I absolutely loved the threatening tones from the darker side of his mind and the contemplative and caring ones from his voice of reason and philosophy. I remember in the final moments watching this section, a smile came across my face and I thought to myself, "Crispin, you freaking god, how do you do this? I want to be your son." Omit the "being your son" part of it and that was exactly what came up.
      I wanted to tear up just as much as I did with the original dub during the movie, and that's when you can tell someone's done a great job. And definitely for me, I'm the type that'll almost never feel too emotional during movies, so the fact that this made me so wet in the eyes is a testament to your work. You've now helped me confirm my choices for one of my favorite movies ever.

      I now own Season 1, Season 2 and Disappearance on DVD and Blu-Ray, and a lot of that is thanks to you.
      What's more important is that you've shown me how much fun voice-acting can be and how much of an impact it can be in someone. It was always in the back of my mind, but you've inspired me even more to pursue using my voice as a career. I'm more of an animator then anything else, but I always voice-acted my own animations and always had a ton of fun, so I wouldn't mind doing more of that any time. Thanks for showing me more of that path.

      I also saw your other great roles. I don't always watch other anime as actively as I'd want to, as I know I'll probably love those too and then never see any of my friends, let alone leave the house, so I try to limit myself. However, I took the time to check out your other works and found those to be great also, most notably Alucard, Karasu and a ton of others. They might not have meant as much to me as Kyon did (call me stubborn, first impressions are important, right?), but I'm sure they meant just as much to an unumerable amount of others out there, so there's a thank you for their experiences.

      So, still with me?
      Yeah, quite the dissertation, I'm sure. Hopefully your schedule gave you enough time to read all this, that would be awesome to me.
      To wrap it all up, I just wanted to give you a huge thank-you for everything you've done with my experience of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The series will always stay in my heart, and I want to give credit to you for helping solidify it in place. Thank you so much.

      Also, good luck in anything you've yet to do in your career up to this point! And if they make any future iterations of the Haruhi franchise, I'll be keeping an eye on it, so I can't wait to hear more if comes along. Keep it up always, Crispin!

      Casey Moore
      http://bonehead93.newgrounds.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
        Thank you so much for your lovely letter. I'm so glad you appreciate all the effort I put in to Kyon. I wanted the movie to have the best treatment possible and I really tried to go all out to make it engaging, emotional and natural sounding. I'm glad you enjoy Kyon's "Hamlet" as I like to call the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

        Thanks again. Take care.
        Voice Actor / Director
        fanmail@...
        http://www.crispinfreeman.com