Thank You for Anime Mythology Insight

  • reerayoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello Mr. Freeman!

      First and foremost, I would like to thank you for all your past advice on how to break into the film and anime industry as a writer. I am now in my second-to-last semester as a screenwriting major, and I am preparing a script for an animated film as my thesis.

      To help me with my animation script, I'm taking a Japanese Animation & New Media course at my school (NYU). We just reviewed over mythology in anime using Astro Boy as a prime example. Since I've watched snippets of your Anime Mythology panels on youtube and have also read your interview in Mechademia Volume 3, I understood a lot of the material my professor gave us including readings regarding Joseph Campbell's theories. So, thank you so much for imparting your knowledge with your fans! :)

      I'm planning to write an in-depth essay on the mythology behind either Wolf's Rain or Hellsing. Since you were main characters in both series, do you have any tips for me regarding the modern adaptations of the series' mythological creatures? You don't have to answer, but I'm just curious what your thoughts are as an anime scholar. You should really consider publish your lectures in the near future. You have a gift for teaching. :D

      Thanks for being awesome.

      Best,
      Reera

      P.S.
      I finished watching Durarara!!! Another brilliant anime with a unique take on mythological creatures. :)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
        I'm so glad you enjoyed my thoughts on anime and mythology! I'm glad
        you found it helpful in your class!

        To have a more in-depth discussion about mythology, we should really
        take the conversation to the myth cafe. I've been so bad about keeping
        up with things. I literally have too many inboxes full of messages to
        keep track of, but I would like to answer your question if you'd like
        to post it over there.

        Thanks!
        Voice Actor / Director
        fanmail@...