Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

'Cold Case' Detectives & more things the Cat dragged in

Expand Messages
  • 2nd Sight
    Cold Case Detectives & more things the Cat dragged in Criminal Minds 16 September 2003 . ^..^
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2003
      'Cold Case' Detectives & more things the Cat dragged in

      Criminal Minds
      16 September 2003

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      2nd Sight Magazine Update

      Don't want to fill up your inbox? Articles in this
      newsletter, links, graphics, and more topics are posted
      online regularly at 2nd Sight Magazine. You can find it


      Criminal Minds Crime and Court News Page

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


      Man Arrested in Shooting Death of Williams Sister
      The Blonde and the K-9 Officer
      Children Can Sue Over Abuse Claims
      Doctors: Pedophile 'Cured' After Surgery
      Bureaucracy Indulges 'Whoremaster Man' as a Victim
      Hijacked in Guatemala
      State's Attorney Attacks Skakel Strategy
      Case Closed and 22 Years of Living in Fear Are Over

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Man Arrested in Shooting Death of Williams Sister

      September 15, 2003 LOS ANGELES -- A 24-year-old man
      with gang connections has been arrested on suspicion
      that he shot and killed the 31-year-old eldest sister
      of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams after an
      argument in a poor Los Angeles suburb, police said on

      Aaron Michael Hammer was being held without bail as the
      suspected triggerman in the death Sunday of Yetunde
      Price in Compton, an area known for gang violence about
      20 miles south of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County
      Sheriff's Office said. Hammer will face a first-degree
      murder charge at his arraignment, which was expected
      Tuesday, a sheriff's spokesman said.

      Hammer was believed to have shot Price in the upper
      chest as she and a companion, Rolland Wormley, drove
      past a Compton house where they had had an earlier
      confrontation with occupants, Deputy Carlos Lopez said.

      "This particular residence has been problematic for our
      deputies," Lopez said, without giving details. The Los
      Angeles Times quoted another police officer as saying
      the house had a history of drug use taking place there.
      Lopez said that police "had responded to that
      particular house before. It's a house where people go
      and crash for a night or two."

      Lopez said Price was shot in the upper torso at 12:15
      AM PDT. Wormley, who was driving a white SUV, took
      Price to a relative's home in nearby Long Beach, where
      an ambulance was called. It's not clear whether Price
      was dead on arrival at the undisclosed hospital, he
      said. He described Price and Wormley, 28, as

      Wormley, who was not injured, was later arrested on
      suspicion of violating parole and assault with a deadly
      weapon, a sheriff's spokesman said on Monday.

      Price, a mother of three, owned a Los Angeles-area
      beauty salon and worked as a personal assistant to her
      two sisters, Williams' family attorney Keven Davis told

      "We are extremely shocked, saddened and devastated by
      the shooting death of our beloved Yetunde," the
      Williams family said in a statement. "She was our
      nucleus and our rock. She was personal assistant,
      confidant, and adviser to her sisters, and her death
      leaves a void that can never be filled. Our grief is
      overwhelming, and this is the saddest day of our

      Serena Williams, who will turn 22 on Sept. 26, is the
      No. 3 female tennis player in the world. Venus, 23, is
      the No. 6 female tennis player in the world.

      Family spokeswoman Raymone Bain told Reuters that
      Price's tennis pro sisters had been out of town when
      they heard the news. "Venus was on the East Coast and
      Serena was in Toronto filming a movie," she said.
      Serena was filming a cable television drama "Street
      Time," in which she plays a reformed gang member on
      parole, according to the Williams' fan Web site,

      Sheriff's deputies and a gang squad from the Compton
      police department surrounded the house where the
      shooting occurred early on Sunday after patrolling
      deputies heard shots fired, Deputy Scott Butler said.
      Police arrested Hammer after interviewing him and five
      other people found inside the house after a lengthy
      standoff, Lopez said. Police also confiscated an
      assault rifle, he said.

      Investigators are looking for two people who were
      believed to be involved in the shooting, Lopez said on
      Monday. No descriptions of those suspects were

      Investigators were trying to determine why Price and
      Wormley were in the neighborhood, a moderate- and
      low-income area with primarily Latino and black
      residents. Price lived in Corona, some 20 miles to the
      Venus and Serena Williams are the youngest of five
      sisters. The family spent their early years in the
      Compton area but later moved to Florida, where the two
      tennis champions attended a training camp for the most
      promising young players.

      -- Edited from Reuters


      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      The Blonde and the K-9 Officer

      The police department, famous for its superior K-9
      unit, was somewhat taken aback by a recent incident.
      Returning home from work, a blonde was shocked to find
      her house ransacked and burglarized. She telephoned the
      police at once and reported the crime. The police
      dispatcher broadcast the call on the channels, and a
      K-9 unit patrolling nearby was the first on the scene.

      As the K-9 officer approached the house with his dog on
      a leash, the blonde ran out on the porch, clapped a
      hand to her head and moaned, "I come home from work to
      find all my possessions stolen, I call the police for
      help, and what do they do? They send a BLIND

      Source: Freaky Animals

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Children Can Sue Over Abuse Claims

      July 31, 2003 -- Children who are wrongly diagnosed as
      suffering from child abuse can sue doctors
      and social workers, the Court of Appeal has ruled.
      However, the judges ruled that the parents of those
      children have no right to sue.

      Three families who say they suffered serious
      psychological distress when they were falsely accused
      of abuse brought the case. Both sides in the case are
      now hoping to go to the Lords.

      As the law stands, doctors and social workers are under
      an obligation to report suspected cases of child abuse
      to the authorities. If they get it wrong though, those
      accused cannot generally sue them for the damage
      caused. But in the landmark case, the three couples
      wanted to change that.

      In each case, the parents had been suspected of abusing
      their children. Only later, and in one case after the
      child was taken into care, were the allegations found
      to be groundless. They wanted to be able to sue health
      care workers for negligence.

      In the first case, brought against East Berkshire
      Community Health NHS Trust, a mother claimed for the
      distress she said she suffered as a result of wrongly
      being accused of suffering from Munchausen's syndrome
      by proxy. In the second, brought against Dewsbury
      Health Care NHS Trust and Kirklees Metropolitan
      Council, a father and daughter claimed for psychiatric
      injury and financial loss resulting from allegations
      that the man might have abused his daughter.

      The third appeal, brought against Oldham NHS Trust,
      involved a mother and father who claimed for
      psychological distress suffered after wrongful
      allegations of having inflicted injuries on their
      daughter. The allegations had led to them being
      separated from their child for nearly a year, the
      judges were told.

      Campaigners believe it is vital that those falsely
      labeled abusers should be able to seek compensation.
      However, some doctors fear any such move could hinder
      child protection. The Medical Defense Union, which
      provides legal cover to doctors, said it was vital the
      ruling did not deter doctors from reporting suspected
      child abuse.

      "This is a very sensitive area, and our members often
      face a difficult dilemma about whether their concerns
      are founded," said Dr Hugh Stewart, a medico-legal
      adviser at the MDU. "Our advice is that, if they have
      reason to believe that a child may be at risk of harm,
      they should report those concerns to the relevant
      authorities without delay."

      -- Edited from the full article at the BBC:

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Doctors: Pedophile 'Cured' After Surgery

      July 28, 2003 CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - There was
      something wrong with the schoolteacher with
      the headache - doctors could see that from the start.
      Though charming and intelligent, the 40-year-old man
      couldn't stop leering at female nurses. He had been in
      trouble with the law for sexual advances toward his
      stepdaughter, and now he was talking about raping his

      University of Virginia Medical Center neurologists Dr.
      Russell Swerdlow and Dr. Jeffrey Burns had never seen a
      case like this. The man had an egg-sized brain tumor
      pressing on the right frontal lobe. When surgeons
      removed it, the lewd behavior and pedophilia faded
      away. Exactly why, the surgeons cannot quite explain.

      "It's possible the tumor released some pre-existing
      urges," Burns said. "But that's a tough debate, we just
      don't know."

      The outcome raises questions not only about how tumors
      alter brain function, but also how they can influence
      behavior and judgment.

      Daniel T. Tranel, a University of Iowa neurology
      researcher, said he has seen people with brain tumors
      lie, damage property, and in extremely rare cases,
      commit murder. "The individual simply loses the ability
      to control impulses or anticipate the consequences of
      choices," Tranel said.

      Dr. Stuart C. Yudofsky, a psychiatrist at the Baylor
      College of Medicine who specializes in behavioral
      changes associated with brain disorders, also has seen
      the way brain tumors can bend a person's behavior.
      "This tells us something about being human, doesn't
      it?" Yudofsky said. If one's actions are governed by
      how well the brain is working, "does it mean we have
      less free will than we think?"

      It's a question with vast implications in the criminal
      justice system. The US Supreme Court has ruled that
      executing mentally retarded murderers is
      unconstitutionally cruel because of their diminished
      ability to reason and control their urges.

      Chris Adams, a death penalty specialist for the
      National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers,
      thinks the next logical step would be to include people
      who have brain tumors. "Some people simply don't have
      the frontal lobe capacity to stop what they're doing,"
      he said.

      Human behavior is governed by complex interactions
      within the brain. However, scientists think most
      "executive functions" - decisions with major
      consequences - are controlled within the frontal lobes,
      the most highly evolved section of the brain. Tumors in
      that area can squeeze enough blood from the region to
      effectively put it to sleep, dulling someone's judgment
      in a way that's similar to drinking too much alcohol.

      Only in very rare cases would the tumor turn the person
      to violence or deviant behavior on its own, Tranel

      Dr. Patrick J. Kelly, chairman of the Department of
      Neurosurgery at New York University Medical Center,
      said he's never seen a tumor turn someone into a
      pedophile. "I've seen them make people hyperactive,
      forgetful, apathetic," Kelly said. "And it usually
      takes a fairly extensive tumor to do that ... the size
      of an orange maybe."

      The Virginia schoolteacher with the tumor didn't
      respond to written interview requests by The Associated
      Press made through his doctors. But according to his
      case report, which Swerdlow and Burns wrote in the
      Archives of Neurology, the man didn't remember having
      abnormal sexual urges for most of his life.

      In 2000, the man began collecting sex magazines and
      visiting pornographic Web sites, focusing much of his
      attention on images of children and adolescents.
      Eventually he couldn't stop himself, telling doctors
      "the pleasure principle overrode" everything else. When
      he started making subtle advances on his young
      stepdaughter, his wife called police. He was arrested
      for child molestation.

      The man was convicted and failed a 12-step
      rehabilitation program for sexual addiction because he
      couldn't stop asking for sex favors, according to the
      case report. The day before he was to be sentenced to
      prison, the man walked into the emergency room with a
      headache. He was distraught, Swerdlow said, and was
      contemplating suicide.

      He also was "totally unable to control his impulses,"
      Burns said. "He'd proposition nurses."

      An MRI revealed the tumor, and it was cut out days
      later. The man's behavior began to improve. Swerdlow
      said the judge allowed him to complete a Sexaholics
      Anonymous program. The man eventually moved back home
      with his wife and stepdaughter.

      About a year later, Swerdlow said, the tumor partially
      grew back and the man started to collect pornography
      again. He had another operation last year, and his
      urges again subsided.

      "That's one of the interesting things about frontal
      lobe damage," Swerdlow said. "This guy, he knew what he
      was doing was wrong, but he thought there wasn't
      anything wrong with him, and he didn't stop."

      -- Edited from the article by Chris Kahn for Reuters in

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Bureaucracy Indulges 'Whoremaster Man' as a Victim

      August 9, 2003 -- One of the ways in which man differs
      from the animals is that man makes excuses for himself.
      Indeed, he has an almost infinite capacity and
      inventiveness in this regard: even the least
      imaginative among us is a genius when it comes to this
      topic. The disposition to excuse ourselves is an old
      one, to do wrong and immediately find a hundred reasons
      why we are not really and truly to blame.

      Yes, indeed, that is how we are. My patients are always
      saying things like "The beer went mad" to explain their
      habitual drunkenness, as if beer drank them rather than
      the other way about. Inanimate objects take on a life
      of their own, as if they had free will, or at least
      agency, not the men who created or used them.

      Nine out of ten people who stab someone to death say
      "The knife went in," rather than "I stabbed him." One
      man who had shot someone in a pub brawl said to me, in
      the course of his narration: "A gun arrived and it went
      off." Guns are strange creatures, unpredictable in
      their conduct.

      It is not only objects that have independent volition,
      but human interactions, which are no respecters of the
      people involved in them. Thus fights break out, as if
      they existed antecedently to anyone's decision to hit
      someone else; relationships, by contrast, break down.
      "It" didn't work out; or "it" wasn't working. "It"
      turns out to be shorthand for every possible kind of
      infidelity, violence, cruelty, abuse, neglect and so

      Substances, too, have a will of their own. About a half
      of heroin addicts, when asked why they started, say,
      "It's everywhere," the "it" in question being heroin.
      Thus, they take heroin for the same reason that
      mountaineers climb Everest: because it is there. But if
      it's everywhere, why doesn't everyone take it? This is
      not a question that much preoccupies my patients.

      Yesterday, I asked a patient why he had been awkward
      and abusive towards staff the day before. "It was the
      cocaine substance in my body," he replied. How did it
      get there? "It was a one-off," he said. "Cocaine - that
      went out of the window ages ago."

      Here, a praiseworthy decision, namely not to take
      cocaine any more, is likewise attributed to the agency
      of an inanimate substance. Why? It is easy to see why
      someone should wish to misrepresent his bad decisions
      in such a manner, but why should he wish so to
      misrepresent his good ones?

      The answer, of course, is that he wants to keep his
      options open. What flies out of the window can just as
      easily fly back in. Indeed, cocaine appears to have
      done precisely that the day before, though perhaps only
      for a brief appearance, like a butterfly that flutters
      into a room and flutters out again.

      This accords perfectly with human nature, but what is
      genuinely new is that an entire class has grown up
      whose livelihood depends upon the acceptance at their
      own word of those who make guilty of their own
      disasters the sun, the moon and the stars.

      Recently I spoke to a social worker who knew one of my
      patients in the hospital. "He's gone through a lot of
      social chaos because of the crack," he said. This, of
      course, is the third-person declension of what the
      patient himself might have said to excuse the misery he
      had caused others by his self-indulgence. "I've gone
      though a lot of social chaos because of the crack." The
      crack, not the person taking it, is the responsible

      This willing, indeed eager, acceptance by the welfare
      bureaucracy of what William Shakespeare called
      "whoremaster man's" blaming "the charge of a star" for
      "his goatish disposition" is not without significance,
      both social and economic.

      First, it increases hugely the numbers of people
      dependent upon the welfare bureaucracy. It is in that
      bureaucracy's corporate interest that as many people as
      possible should be seen and treated as the true victims
      of their own conduct: indeed, the day is not far off
      when the concept of the victimless crime will be
      replaced by the concept of the crime without a
      perpetrator. This is the welfare bureaucrat's idea of

      Second, the acceptance of this viewpoint is immensely
      expensive: we devote between an eighth and a quarter of
      our working lives to paying for it. And the task we
      have set ourselves makes Sisyphus' seem easy.

      It is no longer the poor who are with us always: it is
      the bureaucrats. And they are far more expensive.

      -- Edited and adapted from the article by Theodore
      Dalrymple, a doctor working in the National Health
      Service, in the Telegraph UK

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      Hijacked in Guatemala

      Charlie Andrews had a scare on the ride from Copan to
      Guatemala City, but as he tells it, being hijacked by
      robbers was all part of the adventure.

      They were just an hour and a half from Guatemala City
      when the tour's driver spotted a red pickup truck
      following them in the mirror. As it pulled up alongside
      the minibus, Charlie Andrews glanced up from his book
      to see the silhouettes of four men standing at the back
      brandishing AK47 assault rifles. Two others, sitting
      beside the driver, had pistols. It was something he had
      seen often enough on a cinema or television screen. But
      here the plot was unfolding through the windscreen in
      front of him.

      "It was one of the moments where you just can't quite
      comprehend what is happening," said Charlie, 19, from
      Pangbourne, Berks. "When I first saw the guys wielding
      guns, I assumed it was a joke, that they were fake
      guns. They hardly looked like hijackers - well dressed,
      with smart haircuts and clipped moustaches. For a while
      I returned to reading my book."

      The minibus was forced off the highway and came to a
      juddering halt on the hard shoulder. Cars whirred past
      in the early evening traffic, their drivers seemingly
      uninterested or unaware of events around them. "Within
      30 seconds the gunmen had wrenched open the door and
      thrown the driver over the seat behind. They boarded
      the bus and began screaming instructions at us -
      'Cierre los ojos' (shut your eyes).'"

      "Two of the gunmen stood at the back, two at the front,
      one next to me and one by our driver. The muzzle of the
      gun was resting on the driver's crotch - he was shaking
      with fear and had wet himself."

      The gunmen swung the bus around and headed back in the
      direction from which they had come. They tried to allay
      the passengers' fears with assurances that "We are the
      police, do not worry", but Charlie and his friends
      found this hard to reconcile with the threats that they
      would be shot if they opened their eyes or communicated
      with each other.

      despite their precarious position, Charlie remembers
      the group remaining surprisingly calm. "It seems
      strange now but I felt detached from the situation. I
      almost fell asleep. Perhaps it was delayed shock, I
      don't know."

      Half an hour passed and despite the raised voices, he
      could only catch snippets of what was being said. But
      when the bus began to jump and rattle across rocky
      terrain it was explanation enough - they had left the
      comparative "safety" of the high road.

      "At this point I felt there was no point in keeping my
      eyes shut - no one could see us, we were in the middle
      of deserted scrubland. I kept telling myself that the
      worst was over. It never entered my mind that we might

      It was only when the bus drew to a halt that the
      reality hit home. One by one, they were taken out.
      Charlie could hear the cries of two of the group, who
      were repeatedly beaten for failing to understand their
      captors' instructions. He was the last to be led out.
      "I snatched a glimpse of the scene - all I saw were
      bodies curled up on the ground next to the bus,
      panic-stricken faces, eyes firmly shut and hands bound
      behind their backs. I thought they might be dead. The
      gunmen frisked me and threw me to the ground with the
      others. One of them pointed his gun at my watch, so I
      handed it over. Then they tied my hands behind me."

      Curled up in the fetal position, the group waited for
      that dull click of the gun's safety catch. But the
      shots never came. The gunmen, it seemed, were more
      concerned with the loot than with them.

      "We could hear them emptying our rucksacks. They took
      about £1,500 worth of cameras, money, traveler's
      checks, credit cards and watches."

      Guidebooks the world over warn travelers against
      carrying too many valuables, but they later heard that
      providing rich pickings for the gunmen was probably
      what had saved them.

      "We were told to remain motionless for an hour and a
      half or they would return and kill us. Their parting
      words hit home: 'Don't bother calling the police
      because we are the police'."

      It was a few minutes before anyone dared move. Charlie
      managed to work his hands free of his ties and set off
      through the scrubland in pursuit but was coaxed back by
      his friends. "I wasn't sure what I was doing. It just
      seemed my natural reaction to run after them. I
      returned and unbound all the others. We had been tied
      up by with own money belts.

      "Everyone was pretty shaken. There were a few tears
      from the girls, but after about 10 cigarettes in so
      many minutes, we felt a bit calmer. The driver was in
      the worst state - vomiting and shaking. After he found
      the bus keys it was a good hour before he was capable
      of driving."

      By the time they arrived in Guatemala City, at around
      9.30pm, it was already dark. Their trip to the tiny
      local police station proved unproductive.

      "The policemen were pretty blase about the whole
      matter. Although these attacks were very rare, they
      said we were lucky to be alive - roadside hijackings
      usually leave no survivors. They added that without so
      much loot the gunmen would have surely killed us or at
      least raped the girls."

      -- Edited excerpts from the full article at The

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      State's Attorney Attacks Skakel Strategy

      September 11, 2003 -- Prosecutors filed a motion
      yesterday asking that the state Superior Court order
      Michael Skakel's defense team to hand over the names
      and addresses of two men who are alleged to have
      admitted to a friend that they killed Martha Moxley in

      At the same time, lawyers for the state also issued a
      statement criticizing Gitano "Tony" Bryant's alleged
      admission to a screenwriter friend that two Bronx, NY,
      companions murdered Moxley on Oct. 30. They pointed out
      that Skakel's trial attorney, Michael Sherman, had
      information about the allegation during the trial and
      declined to use it in defense of his client.

      "That we didn't see any of the Bryant allegations in
      the trial is hardly surprising. It only demonstrates
      Sherman's experience and sagacity in culling the
      incredible from the credible," State's Attorney
      Jonathan Benedict wrote.

      Skakel's appellate lawyer, Hope Seeley, did not return
      messages seeking comment yesterday.

      Bryant, who attended Brunswick School with Skakel in
      the 1970s, has said that he and two friends from the
      Bronx, NY, were in Belle Haven the night Moxley was
      bludgeoned to death with a golf club belonging to the
      Skakel family. He reportedly confided in two longtime
      friends, Crawford Mills and Neal Walker, that his Bronx
      friends wanted to attack a girl "caveman style," and
      that they later confessed Moxley's murder to him.

      Skakel, 42, was convicted of Moxley's murder last year
      and is serving a sentence of 20 years to life in jail.
      The two lived in Belle Haven and were 15 when Moxley
      was slain.

      Benedict added that the screenwriter, Mills, a former
      Brunswick Academy student, sent prosecutors a
      three-page fax in July 2002, titled "Little Martha."
      The fax, in large, bold type, gave an account of
      Bryant's story, but did not mention the names of the
      two friends. Investigators had seen a version of Mills'
      screenplay about the murder years before the trial when
      Mills sent a copy to Dorothy Moxley, Martha's mother,
      but that version made no mention of the Bryant story.

      "We have knowledge of the original screenplay that did
      not mention Tony Bryant's story, but the only thing we
      got that did mention this new story is the three-page
      fax sent last summer. This office gets tips every day,
      and if we don't get anything that can let us pursue it,
      that's the end of it," Benedict said. "But I still put
      a cover page on it last summer and sent it right to
      attorney Sherman."

      Sherman refused to elaborate yesterday on why he didn't
      use the Bryant story in defense of Skakel.

      "I've always said that I stand by my conduct in and out
      of the court on this case," Sherman said. "Beyond that,
      it's not up to me to comment on this."

      Mills has not returned several messages.

      Meanwhile, Benedict said that Skakel's lawyers, Hope
      Seeley and Hubert Santos, have likely had information
      for more than a year detailing the Bryant story, since
      the three-page document was sent to Sherman last
      summer. He asked why the information had only recently
      surfaced publicly and why prosecutors were not privy to
      the names.

      "Despite repeated requests to Santos and Seeley, and
      more recently to (Robert) Kennedy (Jr.), we have yet to
      be provided with the identities of those persons who it
      is now claimed murdered Martha Moxley," Benedict wrote.

      Benedict said members of the prosecution have attempted
      to secure the names of the men, one of whom lives in
      Bridgeport and the other in Portland, OR, every day for
      a week.

      "All we've heard is, 'Maybe later' or 'We've got to
      think about it,' " Benedict said.

      Kennedy, who is Skakel's first cousin and has been
      championing Skakel's innocence since his June 2002
      conviction, said he would be willing to give his
      information to the prosecutor's office, but not to
      State Inspector Frank Garr, who is the subject of a
      book being written by Newsday reporter Len Levitt. The
      book is expected to describe Garr as heroic for his
      work in securing Skakel's conviction.

      "I told Frank today that I was uncomfortable handing my
      materials over to him because of his bias, with the
      book coming out," Kennedy said. "But I said I was happy
      to hand everything over to an unbiased team from the
      prosecutor's office or the state police."

      Reached last night, Garr called Kennedy's statement

      "Is this man looking for justice or is he playing
      games?" Garr said. "I'm not at all surprised he's
      looking for any distraction to take away from the fact
      that his cousin murdered Martha Moxley."

      Kennedy, who wrote a several-thousand-word article in
      The Atlantic Monthly in January asserting that there
      was as much evidence to charge former Skakel family
      tutor Kenneth Littleton with the murder as there was to
      charge Skakel, said he believed that the two new men in
      question should also be investigated.

      "Listen, I don't know whether these two men had
      anything to do with the murder. I just know there is
      enough evidence here that it should have been
      investigated by the state when it was raised," Kennedy

      When asked to comment on why neither the Greenwich Poli
      ce Department nor the Sutton Associates, a private
      investigative firm hired by the Skakels in the 1990s,
      offered any mention of the two being in Belle Haven on
      Oct. 30, 1975, Kennedy refused to comment.

      "I don't have to answer that," he said.

      Meanwhile, Bryant, who lives in Florida, appeared to be
      buckling this week under the pressure of national
      scrutiny, according to The Hartford Courant. The
      newspaper reported in yesterday's edition that Bryant
      said the whole story had been "blown out of

      He told The Courant that he stood by the 90-minute
      videotaped interview he gave defense investigators
      August 24, in which he is said to have portrayed his
      two friends as Moxley's likely killers.

      "At no time did I say I saw what happened or know who
      did it," he told the newspaper.

      Seeley and Santos are expected to file a petition for a
      new trial later this month, based on Bryant's story.

      -- By Lindsay Faber in Greenwich Time

      . >>^..^<< . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      'Bus Stop Rapist' Case Closed
      22 years of living in fear are now over for one
      victim's family

      September 12, 2003 -- For 22 years, Suzanne Johnston
      didn't know who strangled her mother in a Seattle hotel
      room, living with a quiet fear that the same killer
      might come for her. So yesterday brought both heartache
      and relief as a judge gave Bryan Gelenaw -- nabbed
      recently by detective work and DNA science -- a prison
      sentence of 20 years to life.

      Gelenaw, who was known in 1981 as Everett's "bus stop
      rapist," pleaded guilty to first-degree murder for
      killing 25-year-old Angelita Axelson that same year.

      "I know I can rest and not be afraid anymore, because I
      know who killed my mother," said Johnston, now 30, who
      lives in Boise, Idaho. "We all love her and miss her
      very much." She was just 8 and being raised by an
      adoptive family when her biological mother was found
      dead June 18, 1981, in Room 316 at the Ethelton Hotel
      on Third Avenue. Yesterday, she got her first look at
      Gelenaw, calling him "the man who broke my heart and
      many others."

      But the relatives of Axelson, a red-haired office
      worker whom everyone called Angie, appreciated
      Gelenaw's prompt confession when police confronted him
      several weeks ago with the new evidence.

      Defense attorney Byron Ward said Gelenaw, who was
      already locked up in a state prison in Monroe, "knew
      the family was entitled to know what happened."

      He said Gelenaw, now 53, has also had a tough time
      dealing with what he did. The rapist and murderer
      listened to Axelson's family in court, occasionally
      lifting his tattooed arms to rub weary-looking eyes.
      Given the chance to speak, he told his lawyer he wanted
      to but didn't think he could. Gelenaw later fought
      tears and grappled for words as he tried to apologize.
      Deputy Prosecutor Steve Fogg said Gelenaw's willingness
      to admit what he did and his obvious remorse are rare.

      Gelenaw took the unusual step of pleading guilty and
      agreeing to be sentenced at his first court appearance,
      avoiding future court hearings and a trial. But he
      already had little hope of ever walking free again.
      Even before yesterday's sentencing, he was serving six
      life sentences for the series of Snohomish County rapes
      in the first few months of 1981. Back then, police had
      begun closing in on him, so he headed south.

      He apparently met Axelson at a Seattle bar while on his
      way to California, invited her to his hotel room, then
      raped and strangled her. A few years ago, Axelson's
      boyfriend at the time, Robert Pinter, called police to
      ask what happened to the unsolved crime.

      Seattle police "Cold Case" Detectives Gregg Mixsell and
      Richard Gagnon, who have been working their way through
      hundreds of unsolved slayings dating back more than 30
      years, had DNA from Axelson's body tested. It matched
      Gelenaw's. The detectives have used DNA evidence to
      find suspects in many cases, and charges have been
      filed against more than a dozen so far.

      Pinter hopes science will continue to help victims'
      families who have lived for years or decades without
      answers. He told the judge yesterday that he no longer
      has to worry that someone he knows took Axelson's
      life -- or that people are wondering if he did it. "But
      it is a sad day," he said. "There is no happy ending."

      -- Edited from the article by Tracy Johnson in the
      Seattle Post-Intelligencer

      Gregg Mixsell and Richard Gagnon have also closed the
      cold case of 13-year-old Kristen Sumstad, who was raped
      and strangled in 1982. In an ingenious ruse, John
      Nicholas Athan, a suspect who was 14 years old at the
      time of the murder, was sent an official-looking letter
      about a class-action lawsuit on behalf of people who
      had been overcharged on parking tickets. If he wanted
      to take part in the case, he was told, he had to sign
      and return the enclosed form. He licked the
      self-addressed envelope, sent it back -- and gave
      detectives the DNA sample they needed to solve the
      21-year-old case:

      The 'cold case' detectives' efforts were also
      instrumental in closing the 1993 murder case of
      punk-rock singer Mia Zapata. DNA evidence from saliva
      on Zapata's body tied Jesus Mezquia, 48, to her
      slaying. Mezquia, a Cuban native who lives in the
      Florida Keys, was arrested in Miami on January 10,

      . >^..^< . . . . . .

      "Insulting a guy eh? Whatsa' matter, run outta facts?"
      ~ Greg Boone

      2nd Sight Magazine

      Body and Soul

      Cat Tales

      If links are broken, copy and paste them into your
      browser. Use browser's back button to return to
      previous page. No ads endorsed by this sender.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.