Re: 1st black deputy under Buford Pusser

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2011
      Danny, times may have changed, but the call for honesty in those who wear a badge has not. I went back as you suggested and looked at my career in law enforcement and I can honestly say I always tried to do things the right way. Having deeply researched Sheriff Pusser's career, I am afraid I can not say the same for him.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23, 2011
        Have'n grown up in south during that era The law had to do what they had to do. Your nearest backup might be ten miles away! They weren't punks with guns, they where family men that wanted to do just that, GO HOME TO THEIR FAMILY! And the assholes that they dealt with, I can't think of one of them thats still alive. I would take a corrupt cop back then over a " honest" cop now, I've dealt with both and I got a fairer shake fromthe former. From: Mike <mikeelam2010@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2011
          Danny, you really need to take a hard look at the real story. Stories have been told about how the area was "Murder City USA", yet no one seems to be able to document all those murders. Have you ever asked yourself why that is? Like any place, there were a few murders over the years, but doesn't the same hold true for most communities? I am not saying that the state line was Disney World. but it certainly wasn't what we saw in "WALKING TALL" either.

          W.R Morris would write about the state liners and how they would dump bodies in the Tennessee River. Can you name a single person who was dumped there?

          I recently spoke with a relative of W.R. Morris. He said he once asked Morris if the story he wrote was really true to which Morris replied "I was writing a book".

          How do you explain Chief Deputy Jim Moffett's statement that that he was never even in so much as a fight while working for Buford?

          How do you explain that then McNairy County Coroner Ward Moore, the only known witness to any of Pusser alleged attacks (a stabbing) said the event occurred BUT THERE WAS NO STABBING, just Buford being on the hood of a moonshiner's car? Why embellish the story to include a stabbing?

          I have spent some time interviewing many of the people who lived the real story..., state liners and law enforcement officers alike. Trust me..., none have told the story that Morris wrote or what we saw in "WALKING TALL".

          You sound just like I did six years ago. I defended Buford at every turn, trying to justify his actions just as you are now. My advice? ...,take a step back, take a deep breath and clear your mind of everything YOU THINK you know and start all over looking only at the facts. Then and only then will you learn the real story.

          Mike