Finished ToW

  • TJ Pochop
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      I had a real hard time with the wordy dialog in this book. It reminded
      me of trying to read Cooper in college. Did people really talk that
      way? Like in the beginning of Ch 7 when Gilbert moves in on the party
      heading to Wildfell Hall and his brother protests "'I beg your pardon!
      It's the ladies that are accompanying me, not I them...we've come
      hooked all the way, as fond as a pair of lovers - and now you've taken
      her from me; and you want to deprive me of my walk and my visit
      besides. Go back to your fields and your cattle, you lubberly fellow;
      you're not fit to associate with ladies and gentlemen like us, that
      have nothing to do but to run snooking about to our neighbours' houses,
      peeping into their private corners, and scenting out their secrets, and
      picking holes in their coats, when we don't find them ready made to our
      hands - you don't understand such refined sources of
      enjoyment.'

      Now, I'm not expecting "Yo bro, paws off the shawties!" but this kind
      of talk seemed out of place for rural farmers - they may have been
      landowners but they still worked in the fields. Anyways, that kind of
      flowery writing really distanced me. (And to think some wrote that all
      out in longhand floors me.) It wasn't till 1/3 of the way thru that I
      got used to the style and fell into the story. But I still wanted it
      to be edited to 1/4 of the words.

      I could totally see why Helen would fall for Arthur. He was the only
      hottie for miles! All her other prospects were duds except Hargrave,
      whom she doesn't meet till it's too late. I honestly don't know what
      she saw in Gilbert, except constance (but didn't Hargrave have that
      too?). And I got completely confused by all the "H" names: Hargrave,
      Huntingdon, Hattersly, etc. I couldn't keep them straight.

      Knowing now who Mr Lawrence is, I would like to reread the earlier part
      from Gilbert about seeing him with Helen, but I truely don't want to
      trudge thru that again. I am all to happy to return this book to the
      Library asap!

      I'm glad I read the book. Gladder still that I don't live in that era.

      Tammy in NorCal
    • Katherine Malinowski
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008

        --- On Fri, 8/1/08, TJ Pochop <tjpochop@...> wrote:
        I had a real hard time with the wordy dialog in this book

        I had trouble with the dialog too.  It either sounded unrealistic, or in some scenes, kind of rude.  Helen, for one, was not terribly polite as Victorian ladies go, and Lord could she pontificate.

        All that ranting about one's reward in heaven...I swear were I Huntington,  she'd have me running for the brandy snifter too. ;)