Re: [crgII] Dombey and Son

  • Bekah
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2013
      This is what the poll looked like when it closed:

      Elective Affinities by Goethe 1 33
      The Odyssey by Homer 0 0
      Domby and Son by Charles Dickens 2 66

      As you can see there were only 3 votes so maybe the lack of notices, etc. will mean Frank wants to change or redo something. I'll wait.

      Bekah

      On Sep 2, 2013, at 9:30 AM, maank72@... wrote:

      > Hi Bekah,
      >

      > I am surprised, because we did not recieve any email asking us to vote for the book of September yet.. I was waiting for the poll, but there was nothing. As for me, I wanted to read the Odyssey, as I was reading many ancient Greek plays the last two weeks..
      >

      > I see that the Dickens' novel (Penguin version) is more than 1000 pages, so I think if you decided to read this book, it will not be possible to read it in one month, right? However, is it the one nominated the book of the month?
      >

      > Happy reading everyone :)

    • Bekah
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2013
        Another thing - although it is long, the actual page count varies with the publication - from 554 to somewhat over 1000. I suppose there are a lot of variables. The version I have has the illustrations by Phiz and two very short author prefaces. Others are annotated or they have a biographical or interpretive essays - some books use a tiny font and have skinny margins - others have empty pages between chapters. I'd guess a good average would be about 700 pages for the text alone in a reasonable format.

        Bekah