Re: [crgII] Swann's Way...more

  • Bekah
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2013
      Bergotte, the "new author" mentioned on page 92 (Penguin/Davis tr) - was likely based on Anatole France, the Nobel winner who wrote Penguin Island - a hugely funny satire. France was very important in Proust's literary life. The character of Bergotte continues through several volumes.

      Just fyi,
      Bekah

      On Jun 10, 2013, at 7:18 AM, Bekah <bekah0176@...> wrote:

      > There's a whole book on the subject of the paintings in Proust -
      > "Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to In Search of Lost Time" by Eric Karpeles.
      > http://www.amazon.com/Paintings-Proust-Visual-Companion-Search/dp/0500238545/ref=pd_sim_b_1
      > (I don't own it- there are other books I'd get first.)
      >
      > There are apparently over 100 paintings mentioned, but I don't know how many are in Swann's Way. One of the other volumes has the narrator becoming friends with a painter (fictitious, I believe) at the beach.
      >
      > The arts, painting, literature, music and theater, is a huge theme throughout the whole work. Countless people have spent entire careers studying Proust. Not I! I just happen to love the book and have read it a couple times and enjoy it more each time.
      >
      > Bekah
      >
      > http://www.amazon.com/Paintings-Proust-Visual-Companion-Search/dp/0500238545/ref=pd_sim_b_1
      >

      > On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:06 PM, vaughan jackson <vaughanjackson@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Thanks Bekah!
      >>
      >> Wow! You must really love art and Proust, and in great depth too!
      >>
      >> Awesome!
      >>
      >> Vaughan.

    • jeffrey jackson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2013
        I bought Paintings in Proust back when the group first read Swann's Way. I think it had just come out and it was expensive. I cannot recommend this book highly enough! It is such a great companion to Proust and it goes way beyond just having all of the referenced paintings. The author is bright and sensitive and shares great insights regarding Proust's use of painting and the influence of the visual arts on his writing. This book is a wonderful work all by itself. I give it the highest recommendation for anyone interested in reading The Search. Jeff.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jun 10, 2013, at 10:19 AM, "Bekah" <bekah0176@...> wrote:

        There's a whole book on the subject of the paintings in Proust -
        "Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to In Search of Lost Time" by Eric Karpeles.
        http://www.amazon.com/Paintings-Proust-Visual-Companion-Search/dp/0500238545/ref=pd_sim_b_1
        (I don't own it- there are other books I'd get first.)

        There are apparently over 100 paintings mentioned, but I don't know how many are in Swann's Way. One of the other volumes has the narrator becoming friends with a painter (fictitious, I believe) at the beach.

        The arts, painting, literature, music and theater, is a huge theme throughout the whole work. Countless people have spent entire careers studying Proust. Not I! I just happen to love the book and have read it a couple times and enjoy it more each time.

        Bekah

        http://www.amazon.com/Paintings-Proust-Visual-Companion-Search/dp/0500238545/ref=pd_sim_b_1

        On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:06 PM, vaughan jackson <vaughanjackson@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Bekah!
        >
        > Wow! You must really love art and Proust, and in great depth too!
        >
        > Awesome!
        >
        > Vaughan.

      • Bekah
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013
          Reading along, , close to page 200, I sometimes feel like I'm reading an impressionist painting - the girls and women of Renoir or Monet?

          Bekah