Re: [crgII] Jude The Obscure

  • Gabrielle
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
      I agree....I'm not sure I would view Sue as the 'traditional' feminist as we understand it today.  As Bekah said, Hardy didn't seem to go into 'general' equality as the feminists of today see it.  It was more of what I see as Hardy's cynicism and disdain for the social mores as they pertained to marriage.  Yes, you could say it was the 'beginnings' of feminism, however again, it was only the views of marriage that Hardy seemed to disdain.

      I got the impression that there was no love lost by Hardy for the view of the society of the time that women were property.

      Gabrielle

    • vaughan jackson
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 28, 2013
        Actually, I personally disagree about the "beginnings of feminism".

        I think that feminism can be found in the Old Testament, with God appointing Deborah
        as Judge over all of Israel.

        Also in the New, with a woman being the first at the tomb to discover the Resurrection of Jesus.

        And Plato, in the "Republic", having women as co-Guardians of that utopia.(In many ways, Plato was centuries ahead of intelligent but patriarchal Greek thought and life).

        My 0.02 drachma worth

        :)

        VAJ.

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 28, 2013
          ....or we can go to the Amazonian women....now THERE is feminism!

          Good point, Vaughan...

          Gabrielle