Re: An the book for March is:

  • mabeaux
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello Classics Group,

      Still working on Trollope which I love- so I think I will skip next month's read. I would love to hear if people like House of Mirth as I haven't read it and would like to know if it should go on the TBR list.

      Hope everyoneis well. Happy March!
      Mary

      --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "xtontox" <XTONTOX@...> wrote:

      > House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.
      > FrankT

    • fi0na66
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
        i finished TWWLN a couple days back - i enjoyed it thoroughly. just
        started HoM and love it of course. i've read most of Wharton's works,
        HoM included but it's always a pleasure to re-read her.

        when i read a book i underline parts that are witty or beautiful or
        pithy, etc. but i tell you, when i read HoM i don't bother or i'd be
        underlining pretty much every word!

        i guess what i'm saying is: should definitely go on your TBR list! :)

        Fiona

        --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "mabeaux" <mabeaux@...> wrote:

        > Hello Classics Group,
        >
        > Still working on Trollope which I love- so I think I will skip next month's read. I would love to hear if people like House of Mirth as I haven't read it and would like to know if it should go on the TBR list.
        >
        > Hope everyoneis well. Happy March!
        > Mary
        >
        > --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "xtontox" <XTONTOX@> wrote:
        > >
        > > House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.
        > > FrankT

      • jeffrey jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
          I always wanted to read Age of Innocence because I loved the movie. Which of her books do each of you consider her best? Jeff

          --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com <mailto:crgII%40yahoogroups.com> , "mabeaux" <mabeaux@...> wrote:

          > Hello Classics Group,
          >
          > Still working on Trollope which I love- so I think I will skip next month's read. I would love to hear if people like House of Mirth as I haven't read it and would like to know if it should go on the TBR list.
          >
          > Hope everyoneis well. Happy March!
          > Mary
          >
          > --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com <mailto:crgII%40yahoogroups.com> , "xtontox" <XTONTOX@> wrote:
          > >
          > > House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.
          > > FrankT

        • fi0na66
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
            The Age of Innocence is a beautiful book too, a book well worth
            reading i think. i also loved The Buccaneers (tho EW died before
            she could finish it and was completed by Marion Mainwaring). but the
            book i love best after HoM is The Custom of the Country. this book
            is less tragic than her other books and the heroine has a
            strain of Scarlett O'Hara in her that makes it a a fun read.

            Fiona

          • dfetchko@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
              Age is my fav

              I always wanted to read Age of Innocence because I loved the movie.
              Which of her books do each of you consider her best? Jeff Sent from my
              U.S. Cellular BlackBerry® smartphone-----Original Message-----From:
              fi0na66 <fi0na66@...>Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 03:15:49 To:
              <crgII@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [crgII] Re: An the book for March is:
              i finished TWWLN a couple days back - i enjoyed it thoroughly.
              juststarted HoM and love it of course. i've read most of Wharton's
              works,HoM included but it's always a pleasure to re-read her.when i
              read a book i underline parts that are witty or beautiful orpithy, etc.
              but i tell you, when i read HoM i don't bother or i'd beunderlining
              pretty much every word!i guess what i'm saying is: should definitely go
              on your TBR list! :)Fiona--- In crgII@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:crgII%40yahoogroups.com> , "mabeaux" <mabeaux@...> wrote:>>
              Hello Classics Group,> > Still working on Trollope which I love- so I
              think I will skip next month's read. I would love to hear if people
              like House of Mirth as I haven't read it and would like to know if it
              should go on the TBR list.> > Hope everyoneis well. Happy March!> Mary>
              > --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com <mailto:crgII%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "xtontox" <XTONTOX@> wrote:> >> > House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.> >
            • Karen S.
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
                I've read quite a few by Wharton. House of Mirth and Ethan Frome are my favorites, but she's also written a lot of good short stories. "Roman Fever" is really good and "Xingu" is hilarious. It was featured on the Selected Shorts radio program, read by Christina Pickles. It's brilliant.

                Karen S.