Re: War and Peace

  • fi0na66
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
      i got the Oxford Maude editon, it's lovely. i'm savoring it like a box of bon-bons... :)

      Fiona

      --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Bekah" <bekah0176@...> wrote:

      > Although I read War and Peace several years ago, I believe it was the Constance Garnett version. So I splurged this morning and got the Pevear translation. I've wanted that since it came out. I read through the first few chapters feeling like I was becoming reaquainted with old friends. They do speak a lot of French, now, though. and I'm not so good with that.
      >
      > Looking forward to a nice slow read.
      >
      > Bekah

    • Burke
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
        I'm excited about reading War and Peace. I'll be using the Norton Critical Edition, which uses the Maude translation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I looked at using Pevear, but they left the French in the text and used footnote translation for all the French. The Maude has this translated in the main text. Jeff.

        --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "fi0na66" <fi0na66@...> wrote:

        > i got the Oxford Maude editon, it's lovely. i'm savoring it like a box of bon-bons... :)
        >
        > Fiona
        >

        > --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Bekah" <bekah0176@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Although I read War and Peace several years ago, I believe it was the Constance Garnett version. So I splurged this morning and got the Pevear translation. I've wanted that since it came out. I read through the first few chapters feeling like I was becoming reaquainted with old friends. They do speak a lot of French, now, though. and I'm not so good with that.
        > >
        > > Looking forward to a nice slow read.
        > >
        > > Bekah

      • Burke
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
          I'm through about 100 pages so far. The first few chapters went a bit slow for me, then suddenly I was drawn into the characters and the storylines. Now I'm hooked and can't wait to read more. I've been crazy busy, but I think after another week or so I can put some quality time into it.
          One impression I had is how incredibly gifted Tolstoy is at creating characters. There are so many characters thrown at you in the begining of this book, but he is able to make each one a distinct and memorable character. I will probably have more to say about this later.
          I don't have my copy in front of me, so forgive my spelling, but I'm trying to decide if Prince Vasily is a good person or not, especially in relation to Pierre. I feel sympathetic toward Pierre, but I'm not sure yet if those feelings are misplaced or not.
          Minor Spoiler ahead:
          I wasn't sure what to make of Prince Vasily's discussion with the eldest princess regarding his plan to invalidate the latest will for the dieing count. Anyway, I'm not to the outcome of this situation yet, but his discussions with the princess seemed greedy, and possibly dishonest. Jeff.
        • Bekah
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
            Oh good for you! Yes, the characters are so delicious - individual, realistic (Tolstoy might say truthful). There are a lot of them, though, so even if this is my second reading, I have to use character list or a tree once in awhile.

            Vassily Kuragen is basically an opportunist and on the lookout for personal gain via his children, Anatole (the rowdy one), Ippolit (the dull one) and Helene (the beauty). He tries to get them positions or marriages which will be to his own advantage. When the Count dies and Pierre gets the money Vassily is thinking about how his family can benefit.

            Bekah

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
              part 3, section 2

              i would say he is definitely dishonest... despicable... don't know if you got to how he fanagled Pierre into "proposing" to his daughter... crafty... poor hapless Pierre...

              Fiona

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
                hate to admit it but i find most of the battle scenes very dull...

                Fiona
              • Bekah
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
                  What Prince Andrei does later is determined by what he sees in the battles - the realities of war and Napoleon and Tsarist Russia.

                  Bekah