Just a reminder:

  • xtontox
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2009
      The book for September is:
      The Warden by Anthony Trollope
      FrankT
    • xtontox
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2009
        The book for October is The Bleak House by Charles Dickens.
        FrankT
      • xtontox
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
          The book for November is Emma by Jane Austen:

          We read the book during the month that it is scheduled for discussion.
          I ask that people leave spoiler space during the first half of the month for slow readers like me. Any questions or comments about the book are welcome. Please refrain from personal attacks on fellow members; disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint is fine.
          FrankT
        • xtontox

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1 6:50 AM
                The book for March is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. We read the book during the month that it is scheduled for discussion.
                I ask that people leave spoiler space during the first half of the month for slow readers like me. Any questions or comments about the book are welcome. Please refrain from personal attacks on fellow members; disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint is fine.
                FrankT

                PS This book and author has had the potential for some sharp disagreements. Please think before you post any angry comments directed at another member.
              • ziinyalove
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2 8:18 AM
                  hi everyone,

                  I will have to skip reading "Atlas Shrugged" with all of you... I am still working my way through Anna Karenina, so you see I am way behind. :) I am enjoying the book very much, but with a full-time job, 13-year-old daughter and boyfriend.... my reading time is a precious and rare commodity!

                  I would like to move on to "The Leopard" next... I have hear such wonderful reviews from all of you! I am excited to read it. Then I will be caught up to read "Augie March" with the group in April.

                  I hope you all enjoy Atlas Shrugged! I did buy it... and will read it when I can.

                  Regards,
                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                    The book for May is: The Europeans by Henry James.

                    We read the book during the month that it is scheduled for discussion.
                    I ask that people leave spoiler space during the first half of the month for slow readers like me. Any questions or comments about the book are welcome. Please refrain from personal attacks on fellow members; disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint is fine.
                    FrankT
                  • Bekah
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 1, 2010
                      Oh I do hope people get a chance to read this one. It's not long and
                      it's light and kind of funny in it's own way. James is touching on
                      one of his usual themes - the differences between Americans and
                      Europeans, but the emphasis is on the very proper but young and
                      lively Americans of New England. The Europeans are not presented as
                      being "normal" Europeans. I can't say as it's my favorite work by
                      James but it's a very nice introduction to his work. It was
                      published in 1878, his fourth novel, right after "The American"
                      which is probably a more substantial work.

                      Btw, a "Morganistic" marriage is one which a lower class person
                      marries a person of a higher class (with a title) but there is an
                      agreement that neither she nor their children can inherit the titles
                      or the associated money. It's like a special pre-nuptial agreement
                      used in Europe.

                      Bekah

                      On May 1, 2010, at 3:06 AM, xtontox wrote:

                      > The book for May is: The Europeans by Henry James.
                      >
                      > We read the book during the month that it is scheduled for discussion.
                      > I ask that people leave spoiler space during the first half of the
                      > month for slow readers like me. Any questions or comments about the
                      > book are welcome. Please refrain from personal attacks on fellow
                      > members; disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint is fine.
                      > FrankT
                      >

                      > ------------------------------------
                      >
                      > Reading Schedule:
                      >
                      > Books of the Month
                      >
                      > May:
                      >
                      > The Europeans: A sketch by Henry James
                      >
                      > June:
                      >
                      > Poll now open Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • xtontox

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 1, 2010
                            The book for September is Moby Dick by Herman Melville.
                            We read the book during the month that it is scheduled for discussion.
                            I ask that people leave spoiler space during the first half of the month for slow readers like me. Any questions or comments about the book are welcome. Please refrain from personal attacks on fellow members; disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint is fine.
                            FrankT
                          • TD

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 1, 2011
                                    The book for November is:
                                    The Aeneid by Virgil.
                                    FrankT
                                  • xtontox
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1 1:28 AM
                                      The book for March is: The Human Comedy by Saroyan