Re: Sound & Fury For Dummies SPOILER ALERT!

  • Renee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      Well I will just say in my defense that I was here in this CRII reading group a few years ago when new S & F voiced much frustration and also many simply quit, as they felt it was not worth the effort. The same thing happened in my local reading group. Out of 15 avid readers, only a few finished the book. So if you are up to a challenge & wish to experience your own AHA moment, please ignore the Dummy post.
      --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Renee" <r_mouilso@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Symbols
      >
      > Quentin's watch - The watch was given to him by his father and symbolizes life and time. By breaking the watch, Quentin attempts to escape time and ultimately his life.
      >
      > Dilsey - Dilsey symbolizes the only form of reason and logic in the Compson house. All other characters are doomed to life ineffectual lives but she sees the fall that is happening while not experiencing it herself.
      >
      > Style
      >
      > Faulkner's style in this novel is very unconventional. He arranges the novel in four sections which doesn't have the typical chronological part, but shows parts of the story at a time from any which time period. His writing is very characteristic of the narrator with Benjy writing simply from a very objective point of view, Quentin being neurotic, and Jason being sadistic.
      >
      > Philosophy
      >
      > Faulkner shows in this book the tragic fall of a family in this book. He seems to warn against weak family ties showing that to be a great cause of the tragedy of the Compson house.
      >
      > Quotes
      >
      > "They took the flag out, and they were hitting. Then they put the flag back and they went to the table, and he hit and the other hit. Then they went on, and I went along the fence." Benjy narrates this section in the beginning of the book showing his viewpoint of what seems to be golfers.
      >
      > "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight oclock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire; it's rather excruciatingly apt that you will use it to gain the reducto absurdum of all human experience which can fit your individual needs no better than it fitted his or his father's. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it." Quentin narrates this section reflecting on his watch and the time when his father gave it to him.
      >
      > "Once a b---- always a b----, what I saw. I says you're lucky if her playing out of school is all that worries you. I says she ought to be down there in that kitchen right now, instead of up there in her room, gobbing paint on her face and waiting for six niggers that cant even stand up out of a chair unless they've got a pan full of bread and meat to balance them, to fix breakfast for her." This begins the section narrated by Jason and introduces Quentin, Caddy's daughter.
      >
      > "In the midst of the voices and the hands Ben sat, rapt in his sweet blue gaze. Dilsey sat bolt upright beside, crying rigidly and quietly in the annealment that the blood of the remembered Lamb." This is the author narrating in the fourth section during the Easter service.

    • Frank T
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
        Being one of those people who just gave up on S&F, I appreciate the dummies post. I will try and read it again, and hope I don't get frustrated again.
        FrankT
> [...]
        > >
        > > "Once a b---- always a b----, what I saw. I says you're lucky if her playing out of school is all that worries you. I says she ought to be down there in that kitchen right now, instead of up there in her room, gobbing paint on her face and waiting for six niggers that cant even stand up out of a chair unless they've got a pan full of bread and meat to balance them, to fix breakfast for her." This begins the section narrated by Jason and introduces Quentin, Caddy's daughter.
        > >
        > > "In the midst of the voices and the hands Ben sat, rapt in his sweet blue gaze. Dilsey sat bolt upright beside, crying rigidly and quietly in the annealment that the blood of the remembered Lamb." This is the author narrating in the fourth section during the Easter service.

      • perfectgrace723
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
          --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...> wrote:

          I also appreciate the dummies post as I attempted reading
          As I Lay Dying on my own once, and found it utterly confusing. I
          believe any input will be useful as well as full participation from
          all of our posters!

          Looking forward to trudging our way through Faulkner this time!

          Andrea

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > "Once a b---- always a b----, what I saw. I says you're lucky if her playing out of school is all that worries you. I says she ought to be down there in that kitchen right now, instead of up there in her room, gobbing paint on her face and waiting for six niggers that cant even stand up out of a chair unless they've got a pan full of bread and meat to balance them, to fix breakfast for her." This begins the section narrated by Jason and introduces Quentin, Caddy's daughter.
          > > >
          > > > "In the midst of the voices and the hands Ben sat, rapt in his sweet blue gaze. Dilsey sat bolt upright beside, crying rigidly and quietly in the annealment that the blood of the remembered Lamb." This is the author narrating in the fourth section during the Easter service.

        • Bekah
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
            I found that the trick to Faulkner is to just keep going. When I
            first tried it took me several attempts to read different books and
            always failing. But finally with Absolom, Absolom (I think) I just
            kept going and voila - after about 1/4 of it I had plugged into his
            language and by about 1/3- 1/2 I had the basics of the plot. The
            Sound and the Fury is more difficult and I don't think I really "got
            it" (the plot, the sequence, the characters) until the end the first
            time. The language was easier to get into because I'd read one or
            two Faulkners by that time - not that the Faulknerian style is ever
            easy. By the time I got around to "As I Lay Dying" I had only a
            bit of trouble. The last Faulkner I read was "Intruder in the Dust"
            which is much easier and not so well known and imo, not anywhere as
            good as his "classics."

            Bekah