RE: [crgII] Robinson Crusoe

  • Martin, Amanda
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2008
      I don't have a special edition either, unless you count the random notes by the last person who checked it out. All the slang terms are translated into Japanese in pencil, which will teach me some lovely poor Japanese. It is the Penguin English Library edition from 1981. No pictures...

      Just finished Aesop's as well- that was a quick read! Did anyone else have this weird sense of deja vu all the way through it? I think we used to do skits of those fables in elementary school.

      Best,
      Amanda

      Von: jeffrey jackson <jjack7@...>
      Betreff: RE: [crgII] Robinson Crusoe
      An: crgii@yahoogroups.com
      Datum: Sonntag, 30. November 2008, 17:02

      I'm ready for Robinson Crusoe. Ive got the Norton Critical Edition. Like I've said before, I'm a big fan of these editions.
      I plan on reading it out loud in the evening to my 11 year old son.
      I'll offer to read it to my 14 year old girl, but she likes to read on her own, and it's usually books that teenage girls are into. Right now shes reading the Twilight series of books. She read the first one before the movie and loved it. Jeff.

      To: crgII@yahoogroups. com
      From: ksagun13@yahoo. com
      Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:01:57 +0000
      Subject: [crgII] Robinson Crusoe

      Who's ready for Robinson Crusoe? I actually borrowed two copies from
      my library (so selfish of me! But I figure I'm increasing their
      circulation statistics). I have a beautiful version with illustrations
      by N. C. Wyeth, and a paperback version that's more portable when I'm
      out and about and have few minutes to read.

      I'm hoping to start this week but I do have some projects to finish up
      for my library science classes (only 6 more credit hours and I'm
      done!). I'm looking forward to reading and discussing, it's been on my
      to-read list for quite a while.

      Karen S.

      Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the "I'm a PC" Messenger themepack now. Download now.
    • Christopher
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2008
        --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Karen S." <ksagun13@...> wrote:

        > Who's ready for Robinson Crusoe?

        I'll have to go pull it off the shelf.

        [theme music plays while he walks over to the right shelf, locates the
        book, which is fairly easy since his literature shelves are
        alphabetized by author, and returns to the computer.]

        Ah, I have it now. Hey -- I just realized that my copy has an
        introduction by Virgina Woolf. That should be interesting!

        I remember reading (or now that I think about it, hearing on one of
        the Teaching Company lecture courses) a theory of Robinson Crusoe that
        takes it beyond a children's book to a much more profound work. I'm
        not sure whether putting out this theory would enhance people's
        reading, or would be a spoiler. I don't know the protocol on this
        new board about spoilers; any suggestions as to how to proceed with
        this idea?