Re: Finished TOTS-Spoilers

  • blueviolets27
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thanks for the summary, jeff. I don't think there is enough evidence
      to support one theory over another, so agree with you about the
      ambiguity applying to the death.

      Deborah

      --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, jeffrey jackson <jjack7@...> wrote:

      > From what I can tell reading a few reviews it looks like most people
      think Miles died of fear. There are some who think he was suffocated
      by the governess, and those who think the governess was crazy say that
      she suffocated him while thinking she was protecting him from a ghost
      that wasn't actually there. Those who think the ghosts are real say he
      died from acute fear. Again, it is part of Henry James' style that
      leaves the death of Miles ambiguous, like so many other parts of the
      story. jeff.

      > To: crgII@...: blueeyesmeg@...: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:15:16
      +0000Subject: [crgII] Re: Finished TOTS-Spoilers

      > I think Miles had a weak heart, and the shock of seeing Peter Quint
      caused his death.Meg--- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@>
      wrote:>> I am not sure what caused Miles' death either. Maybe just
      fright? Any > one else have any ideas?> FrankT> --- In
      crgII@yahoogroups.com, "blueviolets27" <blueviolets27@> wrote:> >> >
      Creepy is a good word for it. Yes, we don't really know what happened>
      > to Flora or why she so thoroughly turns on the narrator. I also> >
      wasn't clear on what caused Miles's death.> > > > Deborah>

      > Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how.

      http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008

    • J. F.K.
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
        I have read the book also. Did not even know that I have ordered it.
        Well, I did not think that this novel was a great one but it was quite interesing. It had an open end, no answers given, which is not too bad beause if gives me place for my own imagination.
        The question is also whether the ghosts were created by the governess' own fears or by the children. Maybe the ghosts are just omens of what will happen. Maybe the boy was just sick. However I could imagine to make this story really scary in a movie. Was this made into a movie?
        JOhanna

        Invidia est umbra gloriae.

        RR:
        Simon Winchester: The Professor and the Madman
        Henry James: The Turn of the Screw
        Mark Twain: The Adventures of Tom Saywer
        Ann Rule: If You Really Loved Me
        Elizabeth Gaskell: Mary Barton