Welcome

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
      I started this group to continue the Classic readings group which has
      been around for a while, but lost it's moderator and owner. Please
      join me in discussing classic books.
      FrankT
    • mbatstone
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 13, 2007
        Will we be choosing a new book? Or shall we continue discussion and
        the books we were reading in the other group?
      • blueeyesmeg
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 19, 2007
          Hi Frank, and thanks for the changeover to this new group for "classics
          books". Looking forward to good reads and discussions.

          Meg

          --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...> wrote:

          > I started this group to continue the Classic readings group which has
          > been around for a while, but lost it's moderator and owner. Please
          > join me in discussing classic books.
          > FrankT

        • Frank T
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 22, 2008
            to the three people who have joined us this month:
            lindleyfoss
            Maureen
            samantha
            You can see our reading schedule on the Group's home page.
            Drop us a line and tell us a little about yourself and why you joined.
            FrankT
          • Maureen
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 23, 2008
              Hi Frank and all,

              My classical reading group, areteclassical, just closed because of
              time constraints on the moderator. We were reading in chronological
              order the 'great books' of Western Civilization. Oh boy, let's just
              say that I found the History of Rome by Titus Livius a snooze-fest
              but I did enjoy the early works of the Greek Philosophers and
              Playwrights.

              I'm looking forward to joining the discussion of Mary Barton in
              September.

              Maureen

              --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...> wrote:

              > to the three people who have joined us this month:
              > lindleyfoss
              > Maureen
              > samantha
              > You can see our reading schedule on the Group's home page.
              > Drop us a line and tell us a little about yourself and why you
              joined.
              > FrankT

            • Frank T
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 28, 2008
                to our newest member, Patricia. Drop a line and say hello.
                FrankT
              • Frank T
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 20, 2008
                  to our two newest members:
                  austen-lover and Christopher.
                  Drop a line and say hello and tell us why you joined.
                  FrankT
                • Christopher
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008
                    --- In crgII@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...> wrote:

                    > to our two newest members:
                    > austen-lover and Christopher.
                    > Drop a line and say hello and tell us why you joined.
                    > FrankT

                    I was a member of the original classics group, but dropped out for
                    awhile, and when I got back found that there was no there there but
                    the there was here.

                    I am an avid reader of classics, in the limited time I have to read.
                    I'll probably be participating in some books and not in others, but
                    will be as active as I can.

                    I'm also involved in the epics and classics boards on the Barnes and
                    Noble Book clubs. So lots of reading and discussing opportunities!

                    As it happens, I had pulled the Aesop's Fables volume of the Harvard
                    Classics off the shelf about a month ago for my, uh, let me be
                    delicate here, throne room reading. So this is an appropriate time
                    for me to join.

                    Let me add one comment for classic books lovers. I got a Kindle a
                    year or so back because I was having some eye surgeries (still am) and
                    wanted the ability to have something to read on which I could enlarge
                    the text to accommodate temporarily obscured vision. But what I found
                    is that there are an enormous number of free or very cheap classic
                    texts out there. I have loaded my Kindle with several thousand
                    classic books, including the complete Harvard Classics, the complete
                    works of a number of authors (bought an enormous set of books for
                    under $20 including complete works of Dickens, Austen, Chekhov,
                    Thackeray, and about two dozen other authors), etc. So whenever I
                    travel or have to go off island for appointments I carry an extensive
                    library of classic books with me. Right now I'm reading on it,
                    alternating among them as the fancy strikes me, the Mysteries of
                    Udolpho (first reading), Barchester Towers (re-reading), Chesterton's
                    Ballad of the White Horse (re-reading), and Aeschylus's plays (some
                    first read, some re-reading). If others here love their classics and
                    want to have a library in their pocket whenever the mood to read a
                    classic strikes them, I can heartily recommend this as a very useful
                    way to go. Don't get me wrong, I still love my book books and have
                    plenty of them (last time I checked, several years ago, I had over ten
                    thousand volumes spread between our two houses, and I've kept buying
                    steadily since them), and I love being surrounded by books. But I am
                    also finding the Kindle to be a very worthwhile addition to my reading
                    opportunities.
                  • Renee Mouilso
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 22, 2008
                      Welcome back Christopher & thank you for all the thoughtful responses.
                      As a Friend of my local Library I was interested to hear about Kindle. We recently had to put hundreds of books in a dumpster that had been through several book sales & that nobody wanted.In the past we have loaded our trunks & hauled books to various Goodwills also.
                      So the future of books is changing, and we are looking toward a time where people won't be holding physical books in their hands---(as much).
                      Our Library started an eBay Bookstore for the books that we feel are too good to give up on, for example I refuse to throw away books over a certain age--If anyone is interested I can try to provide  a link here.
                      Renee

                      > Drop a line and say hello and tell us why you joined.
                      > FrankT

                      I was a member of the original classics group, but dropped out for
                      awhile, and when I got back found that there was no there there but
                      the there was here.

                      I am an avid reader of classics, in the limited time I have to read.
                      I'll probably be participating in some books and not in others, but
                      will be as active as I can.

                      I'm also involved in the epics and classics boards on the Barnes and
                      Noble Book clubs. So lots of reading and discussing opportunities!

                      As it happens, I had pulled the Aesop's Fables volume of the Harvard
                      Classics off the shelf about a month ago for my, uh, let me be
                      delicate here, throne room reading. So this is an appropriate time
                      for me to join.

                      Let me add one comment for classic books lovers. I got a Kindle a
                      year or so back because I was having some eye surgeries (still am) and
                      wanted the ability to have something to read on which I could enlarge
                      the text to accommodate temporarily obscured vision. But what I found
                      is that there are an enormous number of free or very cheap classic
                      texts out there. I have loaded my Kindle with several thousand
                      classic books, including the complete Harvard Classics, the complete
                      works of a number of authors (bought an enormous set of books for
                      under $20 including complete works of Dickens, Austen, Chekhov,
                      Thackeray, and about two dozen other authors), etc. So whenever I
                      travel or have to go off island for appointments I carry an extensive
                      library of classic books with me. Right now I'm reading on it,
                      alternating among them as the fancy strikes me, the Mysteries of
                      Udolpho (first reading), Barchester Towers (re-reading) , Chesterton's
                      Ballad of the White Horse (re-reading) , and Aeschylus's plays (some
                      first read, some re-reading). If others here love their classics and
                      want to have a library in their pocket whenever the mood to read a
                      classic strikes them, I can heartily recommend this as a very useful
                      way to go. Don't get me wrong, I still love my book books and have
                      plenty of them (last time I checked, several years ago, I had over ten
                      thousand volumes spread between our two houses, and I've kept buying
                      steadily since them), and I love being surrounded by books. But I am
                      also finding the Kindle to be a very worthwhile addition to my reading
                      opportunities.

                    • J. F.K.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 24, 2008
                        I have to come and visit you......
                        Johanna

                        Bernhard Shaw once sent Winston Churchill two tickets for the opening night of one of his new plays, notting, "Bring a friend--if you have one"; to which Churchill wrote back to say that he was otherwise engaged opening night, but would appreciate tickets for the second performance--"if there is one."

                        RR:
                        Arthur Miller: The Death of a Salesman
                        Shiva Naipaul: The Journey to Nowhere
                        Heimito von Doderer: Der Grenzwald
                        Simon Winchester: The Professor and the Madman
                        Henry James: The Turn of the Screw

                        > Drop a line and say hello and tell us why you joined.
                        > FrankT

                        I was a member of the original classics group, but dropped out for
                        awhile, and when I got back found that there was no there there but
                        the there was here.

                        I am an avid reader of classics, in the limited time I have to read.
                        I'll probably be participating in some books and not in others, but
                        will be as active as I can.

                        I'm also involved in the epics and classics boards on the Barnes and
                        Noble Book clubs. So lots of reading and discussing opportunities!

                        As it happens, I had pulled the Aesop's Fables volume of the Harvard
                        Classics off the shelf about a month ago for my, uh, let me be
                        delicate here, throne room reading. So this is an appropriate time
                        for me to join.

                        Let me add one comment for classic books lovers. I got a Kindle a
                        year or so back because I was having some eye surgeries (still am) and
                        wanted the ability to have something to read on which I could enlarge
                        the text to accommodate temporarily obscured vision. But what I found
                        is that there are an enormous number of free or very cheap classic
                        texts out there. I have loaded my Kindle with several thousand
                        classic books, including the complete Harvard Classics, the complete
                        works of a number of authors (bought an enormous set of books for
                        under $20 including complete works of Dickens, Austen, Chekhov,
                        Thackeray, and about two dozen other authors), etc. So whenever I
                        travel or have to go off island for appointments I carry an extensive
                        library of classic books with me. Right now I'm reading on it,
                        alternating among them as the fancy strikes me, the Mysteries of
                        Udolpho (first reading), Barchester Towers (re-reading) , Chesterton's
                        Ballad of the White Horse (re-reading) , and Aeschylus's plays (some
                        first read, some re-reading). If others here love their classics and
                        want to have a library in their pocket whenever the mood to read a
                        classic strikes them, I can heartily recommend this as a very useful
                        way to go. Don't get me wrong, I still love my book books and have
                        plenty of them (last time I checked, several years ago, I had over ten
                        thousand volumes spread between our two houses, and I've kept buying
                        steadily since them), and I love being surrounded by books. But I am
                        also finding the Kindle to be a very worthwhile addition to my reading
                        opportunities.

                      • Jeff Fink
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 12, 2010
                          My name is Jeff and I teach middle school in Texas.  I was looking for a discussion group that would enable me to read something that I hadn't read before, and to discuss its aspects.  I am looking forward to reading and discussing.

                          Jeff

                        • KarenLibrarian
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
                            Welcome Jeff!

                            A big Texas howdy from San Antonio! Where in Texas are you?

                            Karen S.

                          • duxwin27@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
                              Hi Karen. Thanks for the welcome. I am in New Braunfels, just down the road. Jeff

                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              From: "KarenLibrarian" <ksagun13@...>
                              Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:19:12 -0000
                              To: <crgII@yahoogroups.com>

                              Welcome Jeff!

                              A big Texas howdy from San Antonio! Where in Texas are you?

                              Karen S.

                              --- In crgII@yahoogroups. com, Jeff Fink <duxwin27@.. .> wrote:

                              > My name is Jeff and I teach middle school in Texas.  I was looking for a discussion group that would enable me to read something that I hadn't read before, and to discuss its aspects.  I am looking forward to reading and discussing.
                              >
                              > Jeff

                            • Melissa Buchanan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010

                                Welcome to you Jeff!  My brother-in-law lives in New Braunfels, and my mother-in-law lives in San Antonio - small world!

                                Melissa

                                From: "KarenLibrarian" <ksagun13@yahoo. com>
                                Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:19:12 -0000
                                To: <crgII@yahoogroups. com>

                                Welcome Jeff!

                                A big Texas howdy from San Antonio! Where in Texas are you?

                                Karen S.

                                --- In crgII@yahoogroups. com, Jeff Fink <duxwin27@.. .> wrote:

                                > My name is Jeff and I teach middle school in Texas.  I was looking for a discussion group that would enable me to read something that I hadn't read before, and to discuss its aspects.  I am looking forward to reading and discussing.
                                >
                                > Jeff

                                Small Business Tools
                                Reduce your business expense. Click here to find products for your small business.

                              • Jhinezhka Matos
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 1, 2010
                                  Thanks for the welcome

                                  Gina