3932still reading but …

  • Bekah
    Nov 20, 2013
      I'm still reading and not as quickly as I thought because something did come up today - I had to do some mom-care (mom is 89). That said I must say that reading Hardy is not like reading Dickens.

      In Dickens you know that no matter how bleak and horrible and twisted the plot the good guys will win and the bad guys will get their just desserts. With Hardy it's just the reverse and no matter how bleak and horrible and twisted the plot you know that the good guys will get screwed and the bad guys might just "win." I wonder if Hardy was motivated by a desire to put some realism into Dickens type novels - as well as to show his readers what the reality of what Victorian morés did to the innocent - especially innocent women. This is how it feels anyway and I feel like I know that things are not going to turn out well for the innocents of Return of the Native.

      Please - let me finish - no spoilers. :-)

      Bekah