Re: Get dirty!

  • Shruti Dev
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Hey! Arun and CG buddies:)!!

      I got some experience to share with you on "getting dirty" coming off a computer surrounded by paper,colour pens and cards and macaroni and stuff.

      It must be fun and satisfying working in an orderly manner with all stuff and things put around in an organised manner but what can challenge the fun and joy of doing what your heart says just the way you are at it oblivious to how you 'should ' work and how your 'work table / shop should' look!

      Your write-up reminded me of something I did with my class one students a few months back. And did we love what we did! We were planning a Project work class for 6 yr olds in Class 1. I suggested we let them draw and colour huge pictures on charts. The catch was, we would resist telling them to "concentrate on taking care of their clothes and faces and hands" and let them just do whatever they would like.

      The outcome - delighted children with sparkling eyes and shining faces (if you could figure that from behind colourful patches and blotches, hands smeared with paint and clothes splashed with colour and water). The joy on their faces at the end of it all was undescribable. Most of it surely came from the relief of not being monitored and yelled at for "getting dirty" and the creativity it sparked off in all of them at an unbridled attempt to express themselves the way they thought fit.

      The predicted side effect - some horrified mothers who couldn't believe their well groomed kids could turn up at home in such riots of colour! And of course the fear of what would happen if the colour didn't get washed off!!!

      The solution - We literally recommended Surf Exel and allowed kids to wear shirts with stubborn colour stains (There weren't many anyways) and sensitised parents to look at the happy faces and the energy flowing through happy children not afraid of 'getting dirty' anymore rather than just look at the 'dirty side of getting dirty" - there was none!!

      "And I don't think there ever is - in the creative context. Remember Ogden Nash's "Ode to People"?

      Cheers

      Shruti
    • Rahul Bhimjiani
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2003
        Just had a fascinating fantasy about the outcome of substituting "thinking" for "getting" dirty and "46" for "6 year old" kid in the story by Shruti. Try it for yourself, change a few words, and enjoy!

        And complete the sentence given below: If an idle mind is a devil's workshop, a dirty mind is a....

        ;o)
        Rahul Bhimjiani