Re: The Easter Bunny - Easier to believe in than the Bible/publications

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 128 , Mar 1, 2010
      --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "nuttypiglet" <nuttypiglet@...> wrote:

      > > regards
      > > as
      > > cholesterol
      > > failure,

      > > So
      > > know

      > > it. I'd be interested to know what paper that was that you read
      > > 'yesterday' and what journals you tend to read.

      > > NP: > Well the last paper I read was concerning the use of bacteria to
      > > manufacture a new type of synthetic artery which can be used in
      > > grafting, such as a bypass operation. The beauty is that it produces a
      > > cellulose based material that is highly resistant to clotting.
      > > >
      > > > The paper I look forward to reading is the results of a trial just
      > > started where recoded stem cells are injected into the coronary arteries
      > > of atherosclerosed patients. It is hoped these will form new
      > > > vessels to revascularise the heart tissue, just as trials with mice
      > > proved. This will be very exciting if it is successful.
      > > >
      > > > Another area of study I am interested in is the growth of replacement
      > > hearts using a patients own stem cells. Working Mice and Rabbit hearts
      > > have been grown in a lab, and human trials could be in the next ten
      > > years. Obviously this means no rejection problems. The biggest problem
      > > was creating a framework for the heart tissue to grow over. You
      > > obviously need a heart of the right shape and size. They are suggesting
      > > using pig hearts and destroying all living cells which leaves a fragile
      > > frame to be covered in human stem cells. I believe a pigs heart is about
      > > the same size. The mice/rabbit hearts grew chambers, the ventricles and
      > > atria, new valves and all the necessary blood vessels. The environment
      > > has to be ideal to grow the hearts and obviously the tissue needs a
      > > constant supply of oxygen.
      > > >
      > > > So, a few things to keep an eye on.
      > > >
      > > > I also tend to keep an eye on medical technology, such as scanning
      > > machines. The current 256 slice ct scanner used in many hospitals was a
      > > huge breakthru with how quickly images could be processed and how
      > > detailed the images are. However, the new 320 slice is even more
      > > advanced and is only currently in 2 US hospitals.
      > > >>

      > > Well, that's all very interesting, but you still haven't given me the
      > > name of a single journal or a citation to a single paper. That's what
      > > I'm looking for here, Nuttypig.
      > >
      > > Eric

      > Why do you want the paper details? I'm sure you have no interest in the papers I have read, and I have told you what's in them. So, what's the real agenda here Eric?

      Given that heart disease is a very significant cause of death in the world (especially in the USA), and that medical advances in one area can have wide ranging application in many other disciplines, why WOULDN'T it be interesting?

      I'm also interested in these papers. I'm really especially interested in the paper you mentioned above that used bacteria to grow vessels for transplant. I'd also be interested in the papers about recent advances in stem cell usage and application. I'm not a doctor or medical researcher, but my field in in microbiology, and I've worked with stem cells before, so it is at least tangentially of interest to me.

      Not to mention I'm in my forties now, and I've had several relatives with heart problems, so I'm personally interested in it.

      Now -- could we get some actual citations and references, rather than vague, non-specific generalizations?

      PLEASE?

      Thomas
    • Thomas
      Message 128 of 128 , Mar 11, 2010
        --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "hbaxter022" <hbaxter022@...> wrote:

        > --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <averylinden@> wrote:
        > >
        > [snip]
        > > >

        > > You're a troll, out to bait others into pointless arguments.
        > >
        > > Goodbye, peewee.
        > >

        > LOL!!! And this is to provoke what? LOL!!!
        >
        > OK, Buh-bye. Buh-bye now. Buh-bye.
        >
        > LOL!

        :)

        Thomas