Re: [creat] Intelligent Design As A Science Stopper

  • randy_crum@datacard.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      I believe that I can give another, somewhat speculative, example of how ID
      would be a science stopper.

      This example involved William Harvey. As many are aware, he was the
      physician who discovered the flow of blood. He was also a creationist.
      (Of course, since he died in 1657, about two centuries before "The Origin
      of Species" was published, we cannot know with certainty what he would have
      felt about evolution if he would have known of the mechanism of natural
      selection.)

      During Harvey's investigation of the flow of blood, he said: “I was almost
      tempted to think that the motion of the heart was only to be comprehended
      by God.” (Clendening, L. ed. 1960, "Sourcebook of Medical History", New
      York, Dover, p. 155.)

      Since Harvey was a creationist, it is reasonable to believe that he would
      have been an ID advocate if that alternative was available to him at the
      time. It he had been such an advocate, he very well might have decided
      that the flow of blood could not be understood by humans (as this sentiment
      is strongly implied in this quotation). He therefore may very well have
      given up the search at the point that he made this quotation.

      But, fortunately for all of us, he did not have ID as an alternative.
      Therefore he continued his research and we now know how blood flows. (We
      would have undoubtedly found out anyway, but it might have been discovered
      only when someone who didn’t believe in ID did the investigation.)

      We must all fight against the concept of ID. It could quite possibly
      destroy science.

      Randy
      NOTICE � This message and any attachment(s) are for authorized use by the intended recipient(s) only and may contain privileged or confidential information. Unless you are an intended recipient, you may not use, copy, retain, or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message and any attachment(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please immediately contact the sender and delete this message and any attachment(s).