[creat] Re: cosmos

  • Paul Andrew King
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2001
      >ot really - if the total energy of the universe is zero it can come
      >into existence from "nothing" without violating conservation of
      >mass/energy,>>
      >

      >It's been a long time since I studied thermo -- have recent
      >discoveries reversed the 2nd law?

      No, as I understand it the expansion of the universe is thought to
      represent an increase in entropy.

      >Granted, mass/energy may be
      >conserved, but the only way that I have heard proposed to go from a
      >point to a universe is by creating equal quantities of matter and
      >anti-matter.

      I haven't got a reference but I understand that there is a small
      asymmetry favouring matter slightly over antimatter.

      > Why isn't this a decrease in entropy (i.e., a decrease
      >in the disorder of mass/energy), violating the 2nd law? I'm also
      >curious where all the anti-matter went. Just wondering.

      As I understand it the anti-matter was annihilated by collision with
      ordinary matter, leaving only the excess matter,
      immortality. More emperors died of poisoning from ingesting minerals
      Guide to Taoism_

      Paul K.
    • ed.horwood@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2001
        Is it a limitation of my brain or something. I find it impossible to
        comprehend something appearing from nothing. Zero volume space is
        surely nothingness, if it's absolute zero. It's the same when
        christians tell me God has 'always' existed. All I've ever
        experienced are finite time spans, a beginning and an end. I can't
        seem to accept 'always been there' surely everything has a beginning.
      • Paul Andrew King
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2001
          >Is it a limitation of my brain or something. I find it impossible to
          >comprehend something appearing from nothing. Zero volume space is
          >surely nothingness, if it's absolute zero.

          Quantum mechanics is very counter-intuitive - probably because it's
          so far removed from the ordinary everyday experience of macro-level
          reality.

          > It's the same when
          >christians tell me God has 'always' existed. All I've ever
          >experienced are finite time spans, a beginning and an end. I can't
          >seem to accept 'always been there' surely everything has a beginning.

          It gets worse than that. Most of the more sophisticated Christians
          argue that God is "outside time". How a being with no temporal
          dimension is capable of acting or even thinking is not explained.