Missing the Neanderthals ....

  • dmathew1
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Hello Everyone,

      I mourn the extinction of the Neanderthals. I also mourn the
      extinction of Homo Erectus. Another species of humans on the Earth
      would really put us all in perspective.

      Sincerely,

      David Mathews
    • NYC Answerman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "dmathew1" <dmathew1@t...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I mourn the extinction of the Neanderthals. I also mourn the
        > extinction of Homo Erectus. Another species of humans on the Earth
        > would really put us all in perspective.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > David Mathews

        -----

        I think we would enslave them, or blow them, up or both.

        The most plausible explanation for the extinction of the
        Neanderthals, is a result of unsuccessful competition with
        homosapiens.

        -NYC
      • ed_horwood
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          but according to a program on discovery the other night, they said
          findings are suggesting these were a caring society of beings and
          not the aggressive type as previously thought. It was also suggested
          that they were far more intelligent than we gave them credit for.
          Was this program talking junk?

          --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "NYC Answerman"
          <afidelibus@y...> wrote:
          > --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "dmathew1" <dmathew1@t...>
          wrote:
          > > Hello Everyone,
          > >
          > > I mourn the extinction of the Neanderthals. I also mourn the
          > > extinction of Homo Erectus. Another species of humans on the
          Earth
          > > would really put us all in perspective.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > >
          > > David Mathews
          >
          > -----
          >
          > I think we would enslave them, or blow them, up or both.
          >
          > The most plausible explanation for the extinction of the
          > Neanderthals, is a result of unsuccessful competition with
          > homosapiens.
          >
          > -NYC
        • NYC Answerman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2003
            --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "ed_horwood" <ed.horwood@b...>
            wrote:
            > but according to a program on discovery the other night, they said
            > findings are suggesting these were a caring society of beings and
            > not the aggressive type as previously thought. It was also
            suggested
            > that they were far more intelligent than we gave them credit for.
            > Was this program talking junk?
            --------

            No. This has little to do with contradicting my comments below. Their
            non-aggressiveness was probably one of the reasons they could not
            successfully compete and died out.

            -NYC

            > --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "NYC Answerman"
            > <afidelibus@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In creationism@yahoogroups.com, "dmathew1" <dmathew1@t...>
            > wrote:
            > > > Hello Everyone,
            > > >
            > > > I mourn the extinction of the Neanderthals. I also mourn the
            > > > extinction of Homo Erectus. Another species of humans on the
            > Earth
            > > > would really put us all in perspective.
            > > >
            > > > Sincerely,
            > > >
            > > > David Mathews
            > >
            > > -----
            > >
            > > I think we would enslave them, or blow them, up or both.
            > >
            > > The most plausible explanation for the extinction of the
            > > Neanderthals, is a result of unsuccessful competition with
            > > homosapiens.
            > >
            > > -NYC
          • Dave Oldridge
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2003
              On 1 May 2003 at 17:51, ed_horwood wrote:

              > but according to a program on discovery the other night, they said
              > findings are suggesting these were a caring society of beings and
              > not the aggressive type as previously thought. It was also suggested
              > that they were far more intelligent than we gave them credit for.
              > Was this program talking junk?

              Depends on who was giving the credit. :-)

              And no, the program is not talking junk. Competition is not
              necessarily war. It can just mean that the species that is the
              better toolmaker finds more food and gradually displaces the
              competitors from its range. Predation and disease will then
              eventually reduce the numbers to the point where extinction is almost
              inevitable.

              We've branched out now and are doing it to the chimps, gorillas and
              orangs.

              Dave Oldridge
              ICQ 1800667