LA senators vote to keep creationism in scien ce class — again

  • HumanCarol
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      Louisiana senators vote to keep creationism in science class — again

      posted on May 05, 2013 06:42AM GMT

      Teen activist Zack Kopplin has lost his third bid to see a repeal of Louisiana’s Science Education Act — a highly controversial piece of legislation that allows teachers to bring creationist textbooks and other instructional materials into the classroom.
      4070.large Image: Lauren McGaughy, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

      Bill 26, which was sponsored by Senator Carter Peterson (D-New Orleans), was defeated by a narrow vote of 2-3 in the Louisiana Senate Education Committee. The vote came after hours of testimony, including a formal statement made by Kopplin. Peterson sponsored the identical SB 70 in 2011 and SB 374 in 2012, which were defeated 1-5 and 1-2 respectively.

      "For the past few months we've been organizing relentlessly and having people contact their elected officials to ask them to vote to repeal Louisiana's creationism law,” Kopplin told io9.

      “We lost again this year, but we're making progress. We gained a second vote. And on top of this, it was clear that we will eventually win and repeal this vote. It's up to the legislators to choose which side of history they want to stand on,” he said.
      continue to source article at
      http://io9.com/louisiana-senators-vote-to-keep-creationism-in-science-488898583

      http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2013/5/5/louisiana-senators-vote-to-keep-creationism-in-science-class-again