Re: [creationevolutiondebate] Popper & the current thread & other things [was...]

  • Dave Oldridge
    Message 1 of 204 , Sep 1, 2010
      On 31/08/2010 11:20 PM, t wrote:
      > If evolution is a scientific theory (which I suppose you will allow) then it is - as the argument goes - falsifiable. If evolution is falsifiable, then we can not possibly be certain of it. If it is not falsifiable, then it is not a scientific theory.

      Falsifying a theory of evolution will not make the fact of evolution
      disappear but will require a new theory to explain it. Have you never
      before heard of words with multiple meanings?
      > There is plenty of evidence which supports evolution, Matt. It is well known to you, so why are you asking such a question of me? Read Mayr's "What Evolution Is" it is a good book and an easy read, or Shubin's "Our Inner Fish" it too is an easy read, or a good biology textbook.
      >
      > To the zealot, that would be you, Matt, no one is more despised than the cautiously sympathetic observer.
      >
      > You have a good night, Matt, and remember if we find new evidence tomorrow that profoundly changes the theory of evolution, then the only thing that really changes is our minds - this is why evolution is not really fact, but a model or construct based on facts.
      >
      > If apples stop doping tomorrow, holy shit, Matt, something in nature - God knows what - has profoundly changed; this is why the tendency of apples to drop is a fact.

      Just as isolated subpopulations of species will diverge until they
      become separate species.

      --
      Dave Oldridge
      Skype: daveoldridge
      Message 204 of 204 , Oct 18, 2010
        On 10/10/2010 6:40 PM, t wrote:
        > You could see your hand in front of your face.

        Yep, and I can see your in-my-face dishonesty, too.

        --
        Dave Oldridge
        Skype: daveoldridge