Pell praises Aussie Christian values

  • Alan
    Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
      --- In creationevolutiondebate@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Ventura" <cimarosa.bunnies@...> wrote:

      > <http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/7013674/pell-praises-aussie-christian-values/>

      Sorry. I seem to be missing a point here.

      He says that services are "paid for largely by the taxes of the Christian majority"

      Fine.

      But then he says "we find no community services sponsored by the atheists."

      But don't atheists pay taxes as well?

      Now if he was talking about charitable organisations, then those are largely non-secular. But he's talking about tax-payer funded services. Or, at least, that's how the article seems to have quoted him.

      Of course, he negelcts to mention that group of people who also pay taxes - those who are neither atheist nor Christian.
    • Matthew Ventura
      Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
        You raise a good point. But if you look at the bigger picture, you will see that he is mainly referring to the charitable organisations, and the influence that Christianity has on our socity. The emphasis is definitely not placed on the tax payers. Sometimes it helps to stand back and look at the whole picture as one thing rather than get too focused on minor details.

        Regards, Matthew.

        Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
          --- In creationevolutiondebate@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Ventura" <cimarosa.bunnies@...> wrote:

          > You raise a good point. But if you look at the bigger picture, you will see that he is mainly referring to the charitable organisations, and the influence that Christianity has on our socity. The emphasis is definitely not placed on the tax payers. Sometimes it helps to stand back and look at the whole picture as one thing rather than get too focused on minor details.

          Indeed it does; Christianity has had a big influence on all aspects of society, good and bad.

          The relevance of this discussion to the conflict between reality and creationism is not clear, though.
        • Steve S
          Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
            --- In creationevolutiondebate@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Ventura" <cimarosa.bunnies@...> wrote:

            > You raise a good point. But if you look at the bigger picture, you will see that he is mainly referring to the charitable organisations, and the influence that Christianity has on our socity. The emphasis is definitely not placed on the tax payers. Sometimes it helps to stand back and look at the whole picture as one thing rather than get too focused on minor details.

            Well, the big picture is that most large charities (in the West) are Christian organizations. I see no reason to re-invent the wheel to do good works simply because I don't agree with the theological origins of charities I donate to. My wife and I, though both atheists, contribute sizable amounts to the Salvation Army and other Christian organizations because they, on the whole, do good things for our fellow citizens. I think that Christian doctrine is despicable, but I also think that most Christians are good people.

            "One does not become an atheist to gain emotional comfort or popularity. One becomes an atheist because honesty compels." ~ John B. Hodges