Top ten evolution articles in 2008

  • seekeththee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Top ten evolution articles in 2008December 29th, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by
      ANI

      London, Dec 29 (ANI): New Scientist has made a list of the top ten
      evolution articles that it presented in the year 2008.

      So, the top 10 articles on evolution in 2008 are: -

      How trees changed the world
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626311.500-how-trees-changed-th\
      e-world.html> : 450 million years ago, there was no such thing as a
      tree, with few plants growing more than a centimeter tall. Between then
      and now, things happened to give another dimension to plant growth and
      to create the diversity we see today.

      Reclaiming the peppered moth for science
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626330.500-reclaiming-the-peppe\
      red-moth-for-science.html> : The peppered moth used to be the textbook
      example of evolution in action. Then, about a decade ago, creationists
      began an orchestrated a campaign to discredit it - and with it the
      entire edifice of evolution. Now biologists are fighting to take it
      back.

      Uncovering the evolution of the bacterial flagellum
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19726431.900-uncovering-the-evolu\
      tion-of-the-bacterial-flagellum.html> : The whip-like tail of some
      bacteria has become the cause celebre of the intelligent design movement
      and a focal point in sciences ongoing struggle against unreason.

      Evolution: What missing link?
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19726451.700-evolution-what-missi\
      ng-link.html> - The fossil record used to be thought of as a patchy and
      unreliable record of evolutionary change. Today, that record is much
      more dependable. When it comes to "transitional fossils" - those
      that bridge the gap between major groups of organisms - we now have some
      excellent examples.

      Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13620-evolution-24-myths-and-misc\
      onceptions.html> - Evolution is perhaps the best known yet least
      understood of all scientific theories. New Scientist presented the facts
      behind common misunderstandings that have grown up around the concept.

      Rewriting Darwin: The new non-genetic inheritance
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19926641.500-rewriting-darwin-the\
      -new-nongenetic-inheritance.html> - We resemble our parents and can
      fall prey to the same diseases mainly because we inherit their genes.
      Yet, there is another form of inheritance that does not rely on genes,
      one that allows characteristics to be passed on that are acquired during
      a persons lifetime.

      The Ordivician: Lifes second big bang
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19826601.700-the-ordovician-lifes\
      -second-big-bang.html> - The Cambrian period, starting about 540
      million years ago, is famous for the appearance of all but one of the
      types of creatures we see around us today. Yet in terms of new species,
      this period cannot hold a candle to a little-known explosion of life
      called the Great Ordivician Biodiversification Event.

      Vestigial organs: Remnants of evolution
      <http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19826562.100> - From goosebumps
      to wisdom teeth, vestigial organs have long perplexed biologists. What
      was their original purpose and what happened to make them redundant?
      (ANI)

      http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/health/top-ten-evolution-articles-in\
      -2008_100136016.html