News item - Templeton Foundation castigates intelligent design

  • Todd S. Greene
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      From:
      http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-letters4.2feb04,1,4960042.story?
      coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true
      [link is line-wrapped]

      "Stance is misconstrued on 'intelligent design'"
      Letter to the editor (2/4/2007)
      by Pamela Thompson
      Vice president of communications
      John Templeton Foundation

      "Testing the role of trust and values in financial decisions" (Jan.
      21) incorrectly describes the John Templeton Foundation as having
      been an early supporter of the political movement known
      as "intelligent design."

      We do not believe that the science underpinning the intelligent-
      design movement is sound, we do not support research or programs that
      deny large areas of well-documented scientific knowledge, and the
      foundation is a nonpolitical entity and does not engage in or support
      political movements.

      The foundation has provided tens of millions of dollars in support of
      research academics who are critical of the anti-evolution intelligent-
      design position.

      For almost a decade, the foundation has been a major supporter of a
      substantial program of the American Assn. for the Advancement of
      Science. One of the program's chief activities has been to inform the
      public of the weakness of the intelligent-design position on modern
      evolutionary biology.

      In the past we have given grants to scientists who have gone on to
      identify themselves as members of the intelligent-design community.
      We understand that this could be misconstrued by some to suggest that
      we implicitly support the movement, but this was not our intention at
      the time, nor is it today.