Re: [creationevolutiondebate] Re: Steve/Do the wicked go to hell?

  • autismuk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 204 , Mar 1, 2001
      In a message dated 28/02/01 18:45:53 GMT Standard Time, shubi@...
      writes:

      << It is impossible to debate without agreeing on the definition of
      words. If you are Generation X, I understand you think everything
      is relative, but it just doesn't work well when trying to convey
      meaning:-) >>

      Well, the meaning is conveyed inaccurately. Most atheists do not
      claim to know there is no god like creature or creatures anywhere.

      Though most have few doubts about the man made ones.....
    • Chris Cogan
      Message 204 of 204 , Mar 19, 2001

        > Mike: You are making the same mistake Chris is.  1 and 2 are two different

        > assumptions.  For instance we could have an objective reality
        > governed by rules of magic.]]]
        >
        > Brian:--So far so good. An objective reality need not necessarily be
        > rational or make any kind of sense.

        Chris

        Yes it *does* necessarily have to be rational and make sense. It could not *exist* otherwise. However, it need not make sense to any particular observer. For example, we could be thrust into a reality that would be vastly too convoluted for us to understand it. But, ultimately, to exist is to be something in particular, to have an identity. To have an identity is to have definable properties, which is all that is necessary for it to make sense (though, again, not necessarily to any particular mind). Fortunately, our own universe seems to be (so far) well within the realm of human comprehensibility.