Re: [creationevolutiondebate] Digest Number 2068

  • Paul Andrew King
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      > >Paul: Population genetics appears in college-level textbooks but for the
      >>OTHER reasons I have given they do not include the calculations that
      >>you want.
      >>
      >>Michael: So these calculations on the probability of getting a new
      >>species is too advanced even for college students.
      >
      >Paul: I did not say that it was too advanced at all.
      >
      >Michael: If textbooks do not include the figure for the probability of
      >getting a new species, how are students suppose to evaluate
      >evolutionists' claim that evolution proceeds through rare beneficial
      >mutations?

      By looking at the evidence,
      I've already explained that there is no single "probability of a new
      species" - and no way to calculate a number without detailed
      information. The mathematics is discussed, but there are no actual
      calculations (because it would be a waste of time).

      >> A person who is afraid
      >>of snakes would be frightened by an illusion of a snake. So explain,
      >why
      >>don't 5" or 6" heels create the illusion of longer legs?
      >
      >Paul: I didn't say that they didn't. All I say is that high heels are
      >NOT
      >the same thing as longer legs. Did you even consider the obvious
      >possibility that at some point the illusion must fail ?
      >
      >Michael: So you are saying that the illusion of longer legs end with 5"
      >heels.

      No, I am not. I am saying that the illusion will tend to become less
      effective as the heels are made longer. You are the one who talks
      about the specific heights. If they are relevant then it is up to
      you to show how.

      > Can you provide any studies which say this?

      No need, since I am simply stating the obvious.

      > Or simply draw some
      >lines to create the optical illusion which you claim.

      I am not claiming an optical illusion.

      immortality. More emperors died of poisoning from ingesting minerals
      Guide to Taoism_

      Paul K.
    • Michael Tong
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2004
        >Michael: If textbooks do not include the figure for the probability of
        >getting a new species, how are students suppose to evaluate
        >evolutionists' claim that evolution proceeds through rare beneficial
        >mutations?

        Paul: By looking at the evidence,
        I've already explained that there is no single "probability of a new
        species" - and no way to calculate a number without detailed
        information. The mathematics is discussed, but there are no actual
        calculations (because it would be a waste of time).

        Michael: Are you saying that evolutionists cannot calculate the
        probability of getting a new species because of they lack certain
        detailed information?

        >Michael: So you are saying that the illusion of longer legs end with 5"
        >heels.

        Paul: No, I am not. I am saying that the illusion will tend to become
        less
        effective as the heels are made longer. You are the one who talks
        about the specific heights. If they are relevant then it is up to
        you to show how.

        Michael: I did. Remember I said that I once read a column about fashion
        in the Los Angeles Times in which the writer asked men whether they found
        high heels on women attractive. Not only did the men who responded
        overwhelmingly found high heels on women attractive but they preferred
        the classic high heel pump with 3" to 4" heels. If these responses
        accurately reflect the feelings of most men, your supposed illusion would
        have to abruptly end at 3" to 4". You have no studies that this illusion
        exist or even drawn diagrams showing how it works. Have you seen these
        diagrams of illusions which make straight lines seem to bend or two lines
        of equal length appear unequal? Why not draw something like that and let
        us see if any illusion is created? Moreover, you still have to explain
        why men prefer the classic high heel pump.

        > Can you provide any studies which say this?

        Paul: No need, since I am simply stating the obvious.

        Michael: It's not obvious to me. You have to provide studies showing
        that it's obvious that high heels create the illusion of longer legs.

        Yours truly,
        Michael