Re: [creationevolutiondebate] Where on earth is everyone?

  • Peter Oliver
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002

      Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 6:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [creationevolutiondebate] Where on earth is everyone?

      >Or they can chew on this:

      "'Tis a dangerous thing to engage the authority of scripture in disputes about
      the natural world, in opposition to reason, lest time, which brings all things to
      light, should discover that to be evidently false which we had made scripture
      assert."  (Rev. Thomas Burnet (1635-1715), as quoted by Stephen J Gould in
      his book, Rocks of Ages).

      For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of GOD. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the
      wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.  1 Corinthians 1:18-19

      Eat shit and die sinners!

    • afidelibus
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        > For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of GOD. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the
        > wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1 Corinthians 1:18-19
        >

        > Eat shit and die sinners!

        Is this a Christian attitude? Why are the atheists so much more tolerant? They seem to have the Christian attitude... go figure!
      • Susan Cogan
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
          At 07:12 PM 9/1/02 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]

          very funny. Please knock it off.

          Susan
          Please visit my website:
          http://members.cox.net/sbcogan

          Also, check out an excerpt of "Jubilee," which will be published in the
          next few months:
          http://members.cox.net/sbcogan/writing.html
        • Susan Cogan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
            At 05:07 PM 9/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
            > > For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but
            > unto us which are saved it is the power of GOD. For it is written, I will
            > destroy the wisdom of the
            > > wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1
            > Corinthians 1:18-19
            > >

            > > Eat shit and die sinners!
            >
            >Is this a Christian attitude? Why are the atheists so much more tolerant?
            >They seem to have the Christian attitude... go figure!

            Actually the above is a joke in rather poor taste.

            I'd certainly be up for some tastier humor or --hey here's a
            thought--something about evolution and creation!

            Here's something to chew on. Any designists out there?

            > > You haven't detected any design.
            >
            >Sure I have, the bacterial flagellum.

            no you haven't and neither has Behe. This is from "Finding Darwin's God" by
            Kenneth Miller:

            "A cross-section of the kind of cilium Behe has in mind does reveal a
            structure of exceptional beauty and complexity. Nine pairs of microtubules
            surround two central microtubules, each joined by an intricate series of
            spokes and linkers. Because textbooks say that the "9+2" structure is found
            in everything from single-celled algae to human sperm, a biochemist [Behe
            is a biochemist] might easily have assumed that this particular patter was
            the only one that worked, hence the conclusion of irreducible complexity.
            A phone call to any biologist who had ever actually studied cilia
            and flagella would have told Behe that he's wrong in his contention that
            the 9+2 structure is the only way to make a working cilium or flagellum.
            Comparative studies on a wide variety of organisms show that there are many
            ways to make a working cilium or flagellum without some of the parts that
            Behe seems to believe are essential.
            Sperm from the cadis fly Polycentropus are different--they have a
            9+7 arrangement in which the central pair of microtubules, which Behe
            believes is essential, is replaced by a cluster of seven microtubules.
            Mosquitoes of the genus Culex don't have a central pair at all--they have
            just a single microtubule in the center, making them 9+9+1. Eel Sperm
            flagella have a 9+0 arrangement, lacking any central structure whatsoever.
            The oyster shell scale insect Lipidosaphes is even stranger, featuring
            rings of microtubules around a central core. The Gall midges, including
            Clinodiplosis, have a bizzar free-form arrangement in which dozens of
            microtubule doublets are scattered throughout the sperm tail. And finally,
            the protozoan Diplauxis hatti has a 3+0 arrangement in which many of the
            supposedly indispensable parts of the 9+2 structure are missing.
            In nature, we can find scores of cilia lacking one or more of the
            components supposedly essential to the function of the apparatus. It
            shouldn't be surprising that these novel structures do not all work exactly
            like the 9+2 arrangement. Nonetheless, they all do work, and each one is
            successful in its own way. These are sperm cells, after all, and the price
            for a gene that produces a defect in sperm function is instantaneous
            elimination from the next generation. What we actually see among cilia and
            flagella in nature is something entirely consistent with Darwin's call for
            numerous gradations from the simple to the complex. Once we have found a
            series of less complex, less intricate, differently organized flagella, the
            contention that this is an irreducibly complex structure has been
            successfully refuted."

            Susan

            Please visit my website:
            http://members.cox.net/sbcogan

            Also, check out an excerpt of "Jubilee," which will be published in the
            next few months:
            http://members.cox.net/sbcogan/writing.html
          • nyc_answerman
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
              > > > For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but
              > > unto us which are saved it is the power of GOD. For it is written, I will
              > > destroy the wisdom of the
              > > > wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1
              > > Corinthians 1:18-19
              > > >

              > > > Eat shit and die sinners!
              > >
              > >Is this a Christian attitude? Why are the atheists so much more tolerant?
              > >They seem to have the Christian attitude... go figure!
              >
              > Actually the above is a joke in rather poor taste.

              I missed the joke. Please point it out to me....
            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 5, 2002
                > > For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but
                unto us which are saved it is the power of GOD. For it is written, I will
                destroy the wisdom of the
                > > wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 1
                Corinthians 1:18-19

                > > Eat shit and die sinners!
                >
                > Is this a Christian attitude? Why are the atheists so much more tolerant?
                They seem to have the Christian attitude... go figure!

                I never did understand the perpetuation of the myth of "Christian Attitude."
                Historically, Christians have always had the most uncivil and demeaning
                attitudes of any community with ideas so hateful that they resulted in the
                loss of uncounted lives and the suppression and destruction of ideas and
                knowledge. This current "anti-science" travesty is just a continuation.

                Jack