RE: [creation_evolution_debate] smarter than a 9th grader? was: A challenge to ALL Creationists

  • Joe Martin
    Message 1 of 359 , Mar 18, 2013

      From: creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com [mailto:creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of PIASAN@...
      Sent: March-18-13 10:54 AM
      To: creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [creation_evolution_debate] smarter than a 9th grader? was: A challenge to ALL Creationists

      LA> Then that is rather puzzling since a highly regarded physicist is convinced of the following;

      ------------------------------

                "The temptation to believe that the Universe is the
           product of some sort of design, a manifestation of subtle
           aesthetic and mathematical judgement, is overwhelming."

        &nbs p;       "The belief that there is "something behind it all" is
           one that I personally share with, I suspect, a majority of
           physicists."

      (Paul Davies, "The Christian perspective of a scientist".
      New Scientist, 2 June 1983, p.638.)

      ========================

      LA> Do you agree with that statement by that noted Physicist, "Mr. Tin"?

      JM>  That isn't a statement, Laurie... it's an opinion.

      LA> Perhaps you will explain what you understand as the difference between a "statement" and an "opinion".

      Pi:

      More precisely, it is a statement of opinion.  No data is provided to indicate this is anything but a personal belief.   On the other hand, this is the same Paul Davies who did collect and analyze data from galaxies 12 billion light years from Earth and found the speed of light when it left those objects was within 0.001% of its current measured value on Earth.  That data, as well as his conclusions was published in the August, 2002 edition of the journal "Nature."

      Do you agree with that conclusion by that "noted Physicist," Laurie?

      JM>  Oh, PI!  Now you are asking REALLY hard questions!  Laurie will no doubt need to come up with an equally irrelevant snippet to change the subject.

      Laurie:

       You might also provide your reason for questioning the judgement of Prof. Paul Davies on such a matter

      Pi:

      Speaking for myself, I do not question his statement of opinion that "there is something behind it all."  I also agree with his conclusion regarding the speed of light .... indicating a universe billions of years old.   "You might also provide your reason for questioning the judgement of Prof. Paul Davies on such a matter."  (Note:  That last request won't happen.)

      Notice, Laurie quotes Davies on matters of "The Christian perspective of a scientist"  a subject on which Davies is not an established expert.  On the other hand, I cite him on matters of physics/astronomy ..... a subject in which Davies is an acknowledged expert... even by Laurie who has stated Davies is a "highly respected physicist."  In other words, Laurie is committing an "argument from authority" fallacy when he cites an astronomer on Christianity.

      That said.... let's get back to the original questions of this thread ..... which NO creationist has even attempted to answer.... even though we cover ALL of them in my 9th grade physical science class.

      "1 What is the difference between water that is hot and water
      that is cold. In other words, what is it about the water
      that makes one hotter then the other? What condition
      exists in the water that makes the difference?

      "2 When the astronauts are in orbit, everything in the space
      capsule seems to float as if there were no gravity. Why
      does everything float?

      "3 Why does a 10 lb object fall at the same speed as a 1 lb
      object. We know that the force of gravity is 10 times stronger
      on the 10 lb weight. So why doesn't it fall 10 times faster?
      Or DOES it fall faster?

      Aren't any of the creationists here smarter than a 9th grader?   Just ONE?

    • SH
      Message 359 of 359 , Dec 9, 2013

        > Tin: How does creationism explain the
        > angular uncomformity at the Grand
        > Canyon ?
        >

        > LA> Very simple really.

        Tin: Then why can't you explain it
        in your own words ?

        > It is a wonder you even need to ask.
        > Let a noted evolutionist explain it for you;

        Tin: Why do you post irrelevant quote frauds ?