ACLU champtions civil rights of ALL; was: Want some opinions

  • HumanCarol
    Message 1 of 597 , Apr 1, 2008
      "Laurie Appleton" <lappleto@...> wrote:

      <<Do you remember also expressing some misgivings about the humanists
      having some sort of taxation exemptions, similar to those which apply
      to religious organizations?>>

      The tax exemption status is EDUCATIONAL for BOTH the American Humanist
      Association and the Council for Secular Humanism, two well-known
      national humanist organizations in the U.S.

      <<They also supported the right of Hitler's supporters to run
      "demonstrations" didn't they?>>

      Absolutely.

      The ACLU protects the civil rights of everyone, not only those who
      express ideas they approve of.

      <<The un-American activities committee said that between 1943 and 1948
      the ACLU; "may definitely be classed as a Communist front or
      'transmission belt' organization". So much then for their pretence of
      the "rights" of others.>>

      I would appreciate a direct citation, in context to substantiate that
      allegation.

      <spooge snipped>
    • ochs_matt
      Message 597 of 597 , May 11, 2008
        --- In creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Lints"

        creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com, "swimmingkangaroo"
        > <debatebill@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <mad@>

        > > > interest
        > > > complacent.

        > The
        > > > this
        > > > club,
        > > myself
        > > > and
        > church
        > > > but I

        You
        > > > are a
        > > interest
        > > groups-
        > > > -
        > > > >
        > > > mark g; Okay I never considered them special interest groups
        > be
        > > > honest. Let me say then that I do not belong to any one
        > affiliated
        > > > group to which I pay a membership for representation.
        > > >

        > > Dindy: That's fine. But you are still a member of the special
        > > interest groups, by virtue of your beliefs, interests and life
        > > circumstances. When Bill was laid off several years ago, we
        became
        > > members of the special interest group of the unemployed. Bill
        and I
        > > have recently received various offers from oil companies for the
        > > mineral rights to the land underneath the house we've owned and
        > lived
        > > in for 17 years because the house sits upon Barnett Shale, which
        > has
        > > proven to be an extremely rich source of natural gas. So now
        Bill
        > and
        > > I have become part of a special interest group we never dreamed
        of--

        > > that of "oil barrons." I'm part of a special interest group of
        > peole
        > > who spend two or more hours a day commuting to work. We all are
        > > members of various special interest groups, and when we vote or
        > make
        > > decisions, we do so on that basis.
        > >
        > Allen:
        > Dindy your analysis is precisely why the Democratic Party fails to
        > win presidential election in the US. The Democratic Party always
        > analysis every policy in terms of special interest groups instead
        of
        > individual voters. While it might be true individuals vote for
        there
        > interest groups, they only have the one vote so in sense they must
        > vote against there interest group policies. Otherwise they
        couldn't
        > vote at all.
        >
        > Allen Lints

        MATT: So now you are claiming to be a political expert as well?
        Do tell. So an interest group only has one vote? "Otherwise they
        ***couldn't*** vote at all." Wow. Fundamentals of mathematics indeed.