supernatural

  • Mark LaRusso
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      There have been several comments in recent postings that the question of whether or not there are supernatural events or forces in human existance is integral in our creation_evolution_debate.  Since I believe they exist and cannot be observed and studied, I wonder if it is possible for those who cherish science, to simply refrain from comment on such things, relegating them to something outside of their area of expertise.

      Very often attempts to dismiss reports of supernatural events are dealt with by trying to minimize them, or trying to find a natural explanation for them.  In attempts to dismiss them, they are often called the result of superstition and/or the imaginations of the lonely, afraid, the suffering, and the ignorant.  Why do the lovers of science have such difficulty with the idea that there are some things we don't know?  Is there a fear of loss of something if everything cannot be explained?

      Mark La Russo

    • Leon Albert
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        There have been several comments in recent postings that the question of
        whether or not there are supernatural events or forces in human existance is
        integral in our creation_evolution_debate. Since I believe they exist and
        cannot be observed and studied, I wonder if it is possible for those who
        cherish science, to simply refrain from comment on such things, relegating
        them to something outside of their area of expertise.

        Leon: Whether or not an ALLEGED "supernatural" realm actually exists,
        conceptions, beliefs, behaviors, and attitudes, and institutions ABOUT it
        certainly do in every culture in the world. These HAVE been the subject of
        study and explanation by fields of "expertise!" I refer to the scientific
        and scholarly disciplines of anthropology of religion, comparative religion,
        and history of religion.

        >Very often attempts to dismiss reports of supernatural events are dealt
        with by trying to minimize them, or trying to find a natural explanation for
        them. In attempts to dismiss them, they are often called the result of
        superstition and/or the imaginations of the lonely, afraid, the suffering,
        and the ignorant. Why do the lovers of science have such difficulty with
        the idea that there are some things we don't know? Is there a fear of loss
        of something if everything cannot be explained?

        Leon: In your obvious ignorance of the existence of anthropology of
        religion, comparative religion, and history of religion, Mark, are you
        having difficulty with the idea that there are some things we DO know? Is
        there a fear that something you would like to keep a "mystery" CAN be
        explained?

        Mark La Russo

        Leon Albert
      • Noone Inparticular
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          >From: "Mark LaRusso" <TwoCreations@...>
          >To: creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com
          >CC: CreationTalk@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [creation_evolution_debate] supernatural
          >Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:42:07 +0000
          >
          >There have been several comments in recent postings that the question of
          >whether or not there are supernatural events or forces in human existance
          >is integral in our creation_evolution_debate. Since I believe they exist
          >and cannot be observed and studied, I wonder if it is possible for those
          >who cherish science, to simply refrain from comment on such things,
          >relegating them to something outside of their area of expertise.

          Refrain from commenting? Why would we do that? Will you stop commenting on
          evolution?

          >Very often attempts to dismiss reports of supernatural events are dealt
          >with by trying to minimize them, or trying to find a natural explanation
          >for them. In attempts to dismiss them, they are often called the result of
          >superstition and/or the imaginations of the lonely, afraid, the suffering,
          >and the ignorant. Why do the lovers of science have such difficulty with
          >the idea that there are some things we don't know? Is there a fear of loss
          >of something if everything cannot be explained? Mark La Russo

          It isn't that simple Mark. The problem is not that we cannot explain things
          - there are an ENORMOUS number of things science cannot explain, many of
          which we will never be able to explain. All scientist are well aware of this
          fact and have no problem with it. In fact, it is the very reason why there
          still is the practice of science. Nor is there any problem with there are
          things for whcih science cannot, even in principle, give an answer too.
          Again, no scientist that I know has a problem with this idea.

          No, the problem is when supernatural explanations are proffered for things
          for which we have a natural explanation. This is within the realm of
          expertise of scientists and there is in any event no reason why we ought to
          refrain from commenting on anything at all, much less something that can be
          explained in natural terms.

          I suspect, Mark, that you are attempting a (badly executed) end-run around
          the heart of this debate; the theory of evolution is a scientific
          explanation for the history and diversity of life on earth and it is
          supported by mountains of evidence from many different scientific
          disciplines. A supernatural explanation has been proffered for the diversity
          and history of life on earth and it is overwhelmingly contradicted by the
          evidence. It is altogether right and proper that we should comment on this.