Re: [creation_evolution_debate] Re: AGNATHEIST BOARD

  • Philip Nicholls
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2003
      In a blinding flash of insight Dave Oldridge
      <doldridg@...> wrote:

      >Sure. Ban him. He's like a squeaky wheel on the next car over. He contributes
      >nothing to the ride and anyone who believes anything the man says without checking
      >it is one of those people PT Barnum said were born every minute.
      >
      >He ran out of lies ten years ago on Fido.

      He will only pop up somewhere else.
      The problem with the Laurie's of the world is that if we ignore them
      then they are the only voice being heard. Therefore, as tedious and
      frustrating as it is we have a responsibility to the truth. No matter
      how many times he uses the Colin Patterson quote someone will have to
      point out that the use of the quote is in fact misinformation (a lie).

      As will be all too evident when we examine the creationist position
      in detail, their arguments are devoid of any real intellectual content.
      Creationists win debates because of their canny stage presence, and not
      through clarity of logic or force of evidence. The debates are shows
      rather than serious considerations of evolution.
      Niles Eldredge The Monkey Business (1982)
      (Right after the bit Laurie quotes)
    • TBD
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2003
        I meandered over to take a look. This board
        is just the latest of the atheist boards to
        spring up, and it has most of the familiar
        names on it of active ANTI-theistic posters,
        although Leon was notably absent. It IS very
        active at the moment, but the activity seems
        to be a repeat of the old arguments most of us
        have seen before. I think I've gotten past
        that stuff. No thanks.

        Z.

        Oh yes, I really doubt you have legally changed
        your name to "Agnatheist". That is your Yahoo ID.

        --- In creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com, "djfreake4u"
        <djfreake4u@y...> wrote:
        > My name is Agnatheist.
        > I've been a non-believer for many moons. I've heard all of the
        > arguments and have yet to be presented w/ one which I can't debunk.
        > This is an open forum that will not be moderated.
        > The idea here is to share and debate ideas, to learn from each
        other.
        > Be as blunt and controversial as you want....just be ready to hear
        > from ME.
        > This discusion is open to religion, parallel universes, paradoxes,
        > absolutes, cause & effect, you name it. (I generally limit my
        > enormous amount of responses my board accumulates)
        >
        > Enjoy!

        > you may also e-mail me:djfreake4u@y...
        >
        > ~Agnatheist
      • L.K. Appleton
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
          Hi Daniel,
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
            Hi Leon,

            I've been a non-believer for many moons. I've heard all of the
            arguments and have yet to be presented w/ one which I can't debunk.

            LA> So what's so great about. Such people have always
            been a "dime a dozen" on Fidonet and Internet. They
            usually suffer from some intellectual "hang-up" or
            even perhaps a genetical defect of one sort or another!

            LA>   So why not tell us a bit about your childhood?
            Broken home perhaps? Wrong side of the "tracks"
            maybe?  Stepfather tried to murder you, or
            something?

            LA>   How about your medical history? ADHD perhaps?
            Long history of injections to "protect" you from all
            sorts of diseases which devasted your health and
            your mind?  What about Polio?  Did you ever
            get that?

            ?>  STILL, even you cannot deny the fact that most of
            the material that makes up your body is from the
            same material the universe is made of.

            Leon: In his great devotion to irrationalism and illogic, Laurie goes through cycles of favorite logical fallacies. The ad hominem genetic fallacy, as above, is one of his most favored cycles. Laurie obviously hates logic almost as much as he hates science.

            AGN> This is an open forum that will not be moderated.
            The idea here is to share and debate ideas, to learn from each other.
            Be as blunt and controversial as you want....just be ready
            to hear from ME.

            LA>  Once again, Fidonet and Internet had/has lots of
            unmoderated forums, which are just a hot bed of
            personal abuse and very little science or rationality
            of any sort!  Who needs more of that?

            Leon: Again, given Laurie's hatred of science and rationality, the unintended
            irony thickens and deepens yet further.

              Leon "projection" Albert!  LOL!

            AGN> This discusion is open to religion, parallel universes, paradoxes,
            absolutes, cause & effect, you name it. (I generally limit my
            enormous amount of responses my board accumulates)

              LA> Get away with you.  Why would you be "drumming up"
            more 'customers' here, if you were as busy as all that?

            Leon: Another RARE instance in which I find myself agreeing with Laurie.

               Well, thank you Leon!  Who knows you might
            even be 'mellowing' a little!

            L.K. Appleton
            lappleto@...

            "We used to have an open mind, now we realise that the only
            logical answer to life is creation -- not accidental ramdom shuffling."
            (Chandra Wickramasinghe)

            Leon: Laurie VERY dishonestly IGNORES the very relevant FACT that his "authority," Wickramasinghe COMPLETLY REJECTS Laurie's own fundamentalist VERSION of creationism! >

             What total appalling ignorance.  Here, let me tell
            you about it again what he has said about it;

                      "If Darwinism was a proven fact and all the
                 fundamentalist dogma was proven falsehood, one might
                 ask whether there would be any good reason for the
                 paronia that prevails. The truth must be that there is
                 a lot that is basically wrong with Darwinism and a good
                 deal that is in essence, though not in detail, right
                 with the fundamentalist point of view."

              (Cosmic Life Force, "The Concept of a Creator", Hoyle &
             Wickramasinghe, (1988), p. 140)

          • L.K. Appleton
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003
              Hi Phil,
              <doldridg@...> wrote:

              >Sure.  Ban him.  He's like a squeaky wheel on the next car
              >over.  He contributes nothing to the ride and anyone who
              >believes anything the man says without checking
              >it is one of those people PT Barnum said were born
              >every minute.
              >
              >He ran out of lies ten years ago on Fido.
              >

              PN> He will only pop up somewhere else.
              The problem with the Laurie's of the world is that if we ignore them
              then they are  the only voice being heard.  Therefore, as tedious and
              frustrating as it is we have a responsibility to the truth.  No matter
              how many times he uses the Colin Patterson quote someone will have to
              point out that the use of the quote is in fact misinformation (a lie).

               The trouble with cranky old "Fr." Dave is that he
              apparently longs for the "good old days" when his
              sort ran the Inquisition and could mutulate, flog,
              twist and burn all and anyone who rejected their
              appalling system.

                 The most that he can do today is to scream and
              wail about liars going to Hell, apparently forgetting
              that none of his victims would ever get even close
              to the "fire" for priests!

              L.K. Appleton
              lappleto@...

              "The missing link between man and the apes, whose
              absence has comforted religious fundamentalists since the
              days of Darwin, is merely the most glamorous of a whole
              hierarchy of phantom creatures."
              (Newsweek,  November 3, 1980)

            • Leon Albert
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2003

                I meandered over to take a look.  This board
                is just the latest of the atheist boards to
                spring up, and it has most of the familiar
                names on it of active ANTI-theistic posters,
                although Leon was notably absent.  It IS very
                active at the moment, but the activity seems
                to be a repeat of the old arguments most of us
                have seen before.  I think I've gotten past
                that stuff.  No thanks.

                Z.
                Wrong (AGAIN) on both counts, Z. I AM here, and you obviously HAVEN'T "gotten past
                that stuff."
                Leon
              • Leon Albert
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 3, 2003

                  Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:07 AM

                  Hi Leon,

                  I've been a non-believer for many moons. I've heard all of the
                  arguments and have yet to be presented w/ one which I can't debunk.

                  LA> So what's so great about. Such people have always
                  been a "dime a dozen" on Fidonet and Internet. They
                  usually suffer from some intellectual "hang-up" or
                  even perhaps a genetical defect of one sort or another!

                  LA>   So why not tell us a bit about your childhood?
                  Broken home perhaps? Wrong side of the "tracks"
                  maybe?  Stepfather tried to murder you, or
                  something?

                  LA>   How about your medical history? ADHD perhaps?
                  Long history of injections to "protect" you from all
                  sorts of diseases which devasted your health and
                  your mind?  What about Polio?  Did you ever
                  get that?

                  ?>  STILL, even you cannot deny the fact that most of
                  the material that makes up your body is from the
                  same material the universe is made of.

                  Leon: In his great devotion to irrationalism and illogic, Laurie goes through cycles of favorite logical fallacies. The ad hominem genetic fallacy, as above, is one of his most favored cycles. Laurie obviously hates logic almost as much as he hates science.

                  AGN> This is an open forum that will not be moderated.
                  The idea here is to share and debate ideas, to learn from each other.
                  Be as blunt and controversial as you want....just be ready
                  to hear from ME.

                  LA>  Once again, Fidonet and Internet had/has lots of
                  unmoderated forums, which are just a hot bed of
                  personal abuse and very little science or rationality
                  of any sort!  Who needs more of that?

                  Leon: Again, given Laurie's hatred of science and rationality, the unintended
                  irony thickens and deepens yet further.

                    Leon "projection" Albert!  LOL!

                  Leon: Projectors commonly deny that they are projecting their own "hang-ups." You are no different in projecting your hatred and ignorance of science and logic to others, Laurie. You haven't the foggiest notion of what either of them actually is. This is clearly evident in practically every one of your postings. Indeed, your entire belief system is blatantly ANTI-logical and ANTI-scientific.

                  AGN> This discusion is open to religion, parallel universes, paradoxes,
                  absolutes, cause & effect, you name it. (I generally limit my
                  enormous amount of responses my board accumulates)

                    LA> Get away with you.  Why would you be "drumming up"
                  more 'customers' here, if you were as busy as all that?

                  Leon: Another RARE instance in which I find myself agreeing with Laurie.

                     Well, thank you Leon!  Who knows you might
                  even be 'mellowing' a little!

                  Leon: Focus on the qualifier "RARE," Laurie.

[...]

                  Leon: I have ALREADY totally demolished this contention of your's regarding Wickramsinghe's position. You have, of course ignored this. Here it is again:
                  "Leon: Focus on the words "in essence, though not in detail," Laurie. They mean that while Hoyle & Wickramasinghe (speaking AS religionists, NOT scientists) accept the ESSENTIAL concepts of creation and a creator as "right," they do NOT accept the particular DETAILED version of it seen in the "fundamentalist point of view." Just once, Laurie, TRY seeing what is actually there in the words of another, RATHER than "seeing" what you WISH to "see" there."

                  You may now proceed to IGNORE this rebutal, ONCE AGAIN, Laurie. Your "talent" for not seeing what you don't wish to see is almost as great as your "talent" for "seeing" what is not there.

                  Leon Albert
                • Leon Albert
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2003

                    Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:16 AM

                    Hi Phil,
                    <doldridg@...> wrote:

                    >Sure.  Ban him.  He's like a squeaky wheel on the next car
                    >over.  He contributes nothing to the ride and anyone who
                    >believes anything the man says without checking
                    >it is one of those people PT Barnum said were born
                    >every minute.
                    >
                    >He ran out of lies ten years ago on Fido.
                    >

                    PN> He will only pop up somewhere else.
                    The problem with the Laurie's of the world is that if we ignore them
                    then they are  the only voice being heard.  Therefore, as tedious and
                    frustrating as it is we have a responsibility to the truth.  No matter
                    how many times he uses the Colin Patterson quote someone will have to
                    point out that the use of the quote is in fact misinformation (a lie).

                     The trouble with cranky old "Fr." Dave is that he
                    apparently longs for the "good old days" when his
                    sort ran the Inquisition and could mutulate, flog,
                    twist and burn all and anyone who rejected their
                    appalling system.

                    Leon: LOL! AS IF Laurie's Protestant Christian forefathers DIDN'T carry out THEIR OWN versions of the "Inquisition," the infamous Puritan witch-hunts being but ONE example!

                       The most that he can do today is to scream and
                    wail about liars going to Hell, apparently forgetting
                    that none of his victims would ever get even close
                    to the "fire" for priests!

                    Leon: According to BOTH Hebrew and Christian doctrine, especially Protestant doctrine, the entire community of believers is a community of "PRIESTS!" Go learn your own religion, Laurie.

                    L.K. Appleton
                    lappleto@...

                    "The missing link between man and the apes, whose
                    absence has comforted religious fundamentalists since the
                    days of Darwin, is merely the most glamorous of a whole
                    hierarchy of phantom creatures."
                    (Newsweek,  November 3, 1980)

                    Leon: (For the umteenth time) There have been a plethora of transitional hominids, AND other transitional forms, many of them described in Newsweek itself, that have been uncovered since this VERY out of date citation from practically a quarter of a century ago.

                    Tinroad has already NUMEROUS times listed the names of KNOWN fossil hominids, both transitional forms and near relatives. Here's that listing YET AGAIN:

                    > > Sahelanthropus tchadensis (320–380cc)
                    > > Ardipithecus ramidus (dental and postcranial remains)
                    > > Orrorin turgenesis (postcranial)
                    > > Australopithecus anamensis (cranial capacity unknown)
                    > > A. afarensis (mean of 470cc, range 375-540cc)
                    > > A. bahrelghazali (cranial capacity unknown)
                    > > A. africanus (440-480cc)
                    > > A. garhi (c. 450cc)
                    > > A. robustus (c. 475cc)
                    > > A. boisei (c. 450cc)
                    > > A. aethiopicus (c. 410cc)
                    > > H. habilis (c. 500-800cc)
                    > > H. erectus (c. 725-1250cc)
                    > > H. heidelbergensis (c. 1300cc)
                    > > H. neanderthalensis (c. 1350-1600cc)
                    > > H. sapiens (c.1300-1500cc)
                    Leon Albert
                  • Daniel Edington
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 5, 2003
                      --- In creation_evolution_debate@yahoogroups.com, "L.K. Appleton"
                      <lappleto@o...> wrote:
                      > Hi Daniel,

                      Yes, but then again I have nothing against the new guy....you are an
                      annoying pest.

                      > DE> Doesn't exactly seem to fit in with the rules of this list.
                      > Let's have a vote
                      > >
                      > What "rules of this list" could you possibly refer
                      > to? Most users must be breaking all rules, whether
                      > written or not, for most of the time!

                      True, but then again nobody likes you.

                      > DE> Everyone who wants Laurie banned say Aye!
                      > >
                      > Such a proposition clearly admits that you cannot
                      > handle the opposition! Many of the users here continually
                      > indulge is gross personal attacks most of the time
                      > and none of them have ever been dealt with by any
                      > Moderator!

                      What opposition? I have yet to see you post anything of substance. Out
                      of context quotes from "leading" evolutionists doesn't count as an
                      arguement. Also mindlessly repeating quotes over and over from
                      crackpots like Velikovsky, Wickramasinghe, and others doesn't give
                      them any more validity.

                      debating you is a lot like listening to a broken record.

                      > These groups fall away to almost nothing until
                      > a courteous, informed and intelligent Creationist
                      > comes along. Few such people bother to put up
                      > with the corny outrageous garbage that is hurled
                      > at them!
                      > >
                      > > AGN> This is an open forum that will not be moderated.
                      > > The idea here is to share and debate ideas, to learn
                      > > from each other.
                      > > Be as blunt and controversial as you want....just be
                      > > ready to hear from ME.
                      > > >
                      > LA> Once again, Fidonet and Internet had/has lots of
                      > > unmoderated forums, which are just a hot bed of
                      > > personal abuse and very little science or rationality
                      > > of any sort! Who needs more of that?
                      >

                      > DE> Laurie you are under no obligation to join the list,
                      > so why worry about it?
                      > >
                      > Who is worried about it -- with the possible exception
                      > of yourself? Why not have a go at it yourself and take a
                      > Creationist line and just see how long YOU can hack it!

                      Right, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror any more if I went
                      around publically announcing the inane superstitious nonsense that you
                      do. The frightning part is that you haven't the slightest clue how
                      ignorant you look.