Re: [crayfish] Crayfish in Indonesia

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Henry,

      What type of crayfish are you attempting to raise? There are several species
      which are indigenous to the Australia / Papua New Guinea and Eastern
      Indonesia region ... so actually you do have crayfish in Indonesia.

      One species that is native to this area and can easily be farmed is the red
      claw crayfish, which is recognized by the distinctive red patches /
      membranes on the claws of the adult males. another Australian crayfish is
      the yabbie which has a blueish grey color, can be farmed but this is
      difficult as the species is highly aggressive and hard to control.

      Are you crayfish either of these species? let me know and I will send you
      some more info. Send a picture if you like.

      Ken

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2006
        Message
        Hello all,

        i am interested to know what i can feed to the red claw crayfish that are kept in the ponds because from observations, they have been fed raw cassava and sweet potato and they haven't been performing well.

        please advice on this as a simple village farmer might find it hard to get processed supplements for the crayfish.

        they do perform very well in their natural habitats but not much in the  ponds.

        please any information would be of help.

        kind regards

        sharon.

        > I am sure that you will get plenty of advice to keep your crayfish
        > healthy. Your English is very good, much better than my Mandarin!
        >
        > Leigh M
        > Portland, Oregon USA

        > Hi again,
        >
        > Thank you for your reply, my name is Hendry and Wen Yung is my
        > chinese
        > name,
        > I'm 32 years old.
        > I lived in Jakarta, Indonesia. Right now I'm trying to rise my
        > crayfishes
        > but from 6 pc of crayfish only 2 now is still live the other 4 is
        > already
        > die, I don't know how, but from my point view, 2 of them were die
        > while
        > they
        > were moulted and the process wasn't perfect. The others maybe fought
        > each
        > other so they were hurted and didn't want to eat.
        >
        > The reason that I want to have a crayfish is for bussiness, just
        > trying
        > be a farmer. In Indonesia right now there is none expertise which
        > are
        > very
        > wellknown about crayfish. From the information crayfish is not a
        > native
        > animal in Indonesia. They used to live in australia, US, Europe and
        > other
        > western countries.
        >
        > Sorry if my english is not good 'cause it's been almost 5 years I
        > didn't use
        > it.
        > So the reason that I want to join your mailing list is to learn and
        > find
        > out what and how the crayfish can live and rised in aquarium or pond
        > in
        > my
        > own backyard without hurting them or just make them die.
        >
        > I really gratefull if you can help me about the crayfish because I
        > really
        > really blind about this creature, if Arwana or ciclid or Koi or
        > cat-fish I
        > already known but crayfish wuuuuh difficult men.
        >
        > Thank you and waiting for your reply,
        >
        > Hendry W.
        >

        >>From: "Leigh" <concordbridge@...>
        >>To: wei_wen_yung@...
        >>Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:45:18 -0000
        >>
        >>Hi
        >>
        >>I got a message referring to your request for membership in the
        >>Crayfish list. Please post a brief introduction and I will be glad
        >>approve!
        >>
        >>Leigh Maynard
        >>Portland, Oregon
        >>List Owner

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        use of the individual to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in
        error please notify the sender by return email and delete the message from your
        system.

        Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
        necessarily represent those of OK TEDI MINING LIMITED (OTML). This email may be
        subject to copyright laws and must not be distributed without the written consent of the
        originator.

        OTML takes the threat of computer viruses seriously and all messages have been
        scanned prior to delivery. However, the recipient should check this email and any
        attachments for the presence of viruses. OTML accepts no liability for any damage
        caused.

      • David Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2006
          What do you see the local crays eating in nature?

          What is the difference in the water quality between nature and the
          ponds? What about the water flow?

          Do you have access to aquarium testing kits? Check nitrates, nitrites,
          and other contaminants. Crays tend to prefer a slightly higher than
          "normal" nitrate level, or so I hear.

          Crays are also opportunistic predators. Have you given them some small
          bits of chicken to feed on as protein supplements?

          Crustaceans need iodine and calcium. Have you tried standard calcium
          and iodine reef supplements?

          As scavengers, crays are vulnerable to many environmental contaminants.
          Petrochemical and pesticide polution, for example.

          I hope this helps,