farming red claw crayfish

  • james022659
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
      im thinking of raising australian crayfish for market and need info.
      can anyone help out?
    • darrin dehaan
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
        are you wanting info on the redclawcrayfish(Cherax quadricarinatus) what part of the world are you in, that will determine how you should look at the redclaws, (outside ponds or inside ponds/pools) I have been researching them for over 1 1/2 years.   I have 26 acres 70 miles south of Kansas city and I have come up with the best way to build my indoor hatchery, Atlas Publication has a great book on raising redclaws,as well as the Queens land web site on crayfish farming , if you live in the south, the hatchery would be easier than the north,  but there are hatcherys in Minnesota,Canada,New York , Kansas, Texas,Tennessee , Florida ,California, ect.   So there are lots of help out there  ,   just ask anyone  .              Michael Robinson (Stick Fins Fish Farm   thats in Elkton, Fl. ) has helped me out  on any of my 100 or so questions that I through at him , He has all his redclaws in wal-mart 8 foot pools (around 500 reds each pool) or you can look in the search engine on your computer just type redclawcrayfish  or yabby  or morron.    All 3 are from the northern territory of Australia.  but remember yabbys and morron are more aggressive and like to dig deep holes, and they mature slower than redclawcrayfish. I now have over 1500 pages printed out about how to raise redclaws, a lot of them repeat over and over the same information but there are lots to learn before you can even think of starting a hatchery.  The redclawcrayfish will be what I, start my hatchery with  ,  as well as minnows and worms,  I have talked with 18 bait shops about buying my redclaws at 1 to 3 inches long, all 18 liked the idea of having a crawdad suppler locally, think of this, at 1 years of age one redclaw will produce an average of 1000 babys 5 times a year,  ok   lets say you can wholesale the reds to the baitshop for $1.25 per dozen ---  12 divided by 1.25 = .096 cents each or 5000 x .096 =  $480.00 per year of of just 1.  Now the figures get even more in depth  (bait shops need mostly males) so, if 1/3 of a litter is female say 330  . I plan on keeping the largest 20 to stock my growth pools for larger redclaws, I will keep the largest 5 males.
           When my large reds reach over 1/2 lb. they will be sold as food(small lobsters) but I plan on keeping the largest males  and females of each pool like 5 each.  now that will be the ones that I will raise to over 1 1/2 lb, 2 to 3 years old.   I have talked to 6 different restaurants about putting all the left overs in a different trash bag for me to pick up daily , (potato's, carrots, lettuce,corn) 2 have no problems doing that , the other 4 want to try the redclaws to see if its good enough to sell in there restaurant in the future. that took me about 4 hours to find 4 future buyers.   hummmm   not bad .oh  my grow out pools are much different than the rest ( the grow out pools are 20 ft  by 50 ft  with 2 hydraulic ram pumps each ) I do have a design on how I'm going to keep the water temp. at the best growth rate, keeping warm in the winter and cool in the summer with not to much cost to run.  I will be a very large suppler in the future, (land is 1k per acre around my land so I do plan on expansion ) but I'm going to try to keep the business locally , in the beginning.  I hope that I helped out.                   Darrin DeHaan   a k a      cobraclaws

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
          wow that sure did help. i,m in cleveland ohio and we have lots of
          abandend warehouse that I plan on renting to get started. Winters
          here are pretty hard. I just need info on lifespans, what to feed,
          etc. I have always eaten homegrown crays and just decided to start
          my own business. thanks..
          --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "darrin dehaan" <ddehaan@k...>

          unsubscribe@onelist.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
        • darrin dehaan
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
            I'm glad that my info helped, well being in cleveland ohio area, I would look into the Michael Robinson style of hatchery's but a little different,  to keep the cost of heating down , I would insulate the outside of the pools, Plexiglass tops, and 2 to 3 waterbed heaters under each , that would be cheaper than heating a hole warehouse  .
                                cobraclaws
            wrote:
> [...]
            > 4 want to try the redclaws to see if its good enough to sell in
            there
            > restaurant in the future. that took me about 4 hours to find 4
            future buyers
            >    hummmm   not bad .oh  my grow out pools are much different than
            the rest
            > ( the grow out pools are 20 ft  by 50 ft  with 2 hydraulic ram
            pumps each )
            > I do have a design on how I'm going to keep the water temp. at the
            best
            > growth rate, keeping warm in the winter and cool in the summer
            with not to
            > much cost to run.  I will be a very large suppler in the future,
            (land is 1k
            > per acre around my land so I do plan on expansion ) but I'm going
            to try to
            > keep the business locally , in the beginning.  I hope that I

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • james022659
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
              i just read that ohio does not allow importiing of the rred claw. do
              you happen to know why? I do remember seeing a farm elsewere in ohio
              so this may be a mistake.
              wrote:
              > I'm glad that my info helped, well being in cleveland ohio area, I
              would
              > look into the Michael Robinson style of hatchery's but a little
              different,
              > to keep the cost of heating down , I would insulate the outside of
              the pools
              > Plexiglass tops, and 2 to 3 waterbed heaters under each , that
              would be
              > cheaper than heating a hole warehouse .
              > cobraclaws

            • David Johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 23:23 +0000, james022659 wrote:
                > i just read that ohio does not allow importiing of the rred claw. do
                > you happen to know why?

                I'm not certain, but I can hazard an educated guess.

                Red Claws are (a) not indigenous and (b) more aggressive than the local
                varieties of crays. As a result, those that escape are a hazard to the
                local environment. Since crays can live for up to 3 months out of
                water, depending on species and climate, and they are so prolific, one
                escaped female with eggs represents serious potential for local
                devastation.

                In Arkansas, the asian red crab, popular with freshwater aquarists, is
                now considered a pest species. Several varieties of mussels imported
                from asia and europe via ships' ballast water are displacing less
                aggressive local varieties. As you can see, there is plenty of
                precedent.

                To be certain, check with the local Fish and Wildlife office. You might
                have better luck with Louisiana red's.
              • james022659
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                  thats why I was wondering if it was a wrong turn somewere. I am
                  allready aware of the Baltic hatchery. maybe its just somew thyp of
                  special permit or something. I will find out and thanks

                • JKKeas@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                    FYI If not already mentioned, Red Claw and any of the many local red crayfish do not do well together. The Red Claws, blues from Australia will die in about 24-48 hrs if mixed in the same water with local US red crawdads.
                    A virus, I believe that the red claw have no defense for will wipe out a pond overnight.
                    Check literature primarily in Europe, a few years ago for info.
                    I lost several hundred Red Claws in Calif by mixing local reds, and greens with the larger red claws, only to repeat the process and lose another batch before I ran across literature. There was some experiments on the young fry which had some results on co habitation. Good luck
                    I think the worry is on keeping your red claws isolated from any of the local crawdads.  Jake
                  • David Johnson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                      Just general information on crayfish ... nothing specific to red claws.
                      Note that I specified "depending on the species".

                      I had heard that red claws were relatively aggressive on this list, but
                      have no personal knowledge on that matter.

                      Also, aggressive, to a biologist is not just "attitude", but ability to
                      survive and breed. Can you imagine an aggressive mussel, if attitude
                      were all that was meant? There is nothing with less attitude than a
                      mussel.

                      I have only lived in Northwest Arkansas 7 years, but I have never seen
                      even small ponds freeze over here. Even the 18" sump hole in my back
                      yard has never frozen over. The climate is changing.

                      It is good to know that escapes will only be a short term problem
                      though. The most critical point is that he really needs to check
                      directly with local fish and wildlife regulations.

                      On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 20:21 -0600, darrin dehaan wrote:

                      > redclawcrayfish has no ability to
                      > harm any type of local areas that
                      > freeze in the winter, water colder
                      > than the 40s will kill all
                      > redclawcrayfish and since I did
                      > live 9 years in Arkansas ,
                      > I ice skated every year there,
                      > there is no way redclawcrayfish can
                      > survive the winters there. Yes ,
                      > short term summer escapes will
                      > start to take over any small creek
                      > or pond but when the winter hits
                      > all will die. Now down south is a
                      > total different story and the
                      > Government does put there rules on
                      > the table, so yes check out the
                      > fish and game rules where you live.
                      > Redclawcrayfish is a non aggressive
                      > crawdad, very large. Oh I have a
                      > question--- where do you get your
                      > information redclawcrayfish can not
                      > live 3 months out of water
                      > cobraclaws

                    • darrin dehaan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005

                          wrote:
                          > I'm glad that my info helped, well being in cleveland ohio area, I
                          would
                          > look into the Michael Robinson style of hatchery's but a little
                          different,
                          > to keep the cost of heating down , I would insulate the outside of
                          the pools
                          >  Plexiglass tops, and 2 to 3 waterbed heaters under each , that
                          would be
                          > cheaper than heating a hole warehouse  .
                          >                     cobraclaws

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • james022659
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                            thanks but i will only raise reds.
                            --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, JKKeas@a... wrote:
                            > FYI If not already mentioned, Red Claw and any of the many local
                            red crayfish
                            > do not do well together. The Red Claws, blues from Australia will
                            die in
                            > about 24-48 hrs if mixed in the same water with local US red
                            crawdads.
                            > A virus, I believe that the red claw have no defense for will wipe
                            out a pond
                            > overnight.
                            > Check literature primarily in Europe, a few years ago for info.
                            > I lost several hundred Red Claws in Calif by mixing local reds,
                            and greens
                            > with the larger red claws, only to repeat the process and lose
                            another batch
                            > before I ran across literature. There was some experiments on the
                            young fry
                            > which had some results on co habitation. Good luck
                            > I think the worry is on keeping your red claws isolated from any
                            of the local
                            > crawdads. Jake
                          • james022659
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 7, 2005
                              yes and i do plan on doing just that. i have no intention on
                              destroing the biological system just to make a buck. and we also do
                              have a place here in ohio that is allready raising then so i dont
                              see a problem. I do like all the feed back i am getting. it is very
                              helpful so thanks to all

                              --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson <johnson_d@c...>
                              wrote:
                              > Just general information on crayfish ... nothing specific to red
                              claws.
                              > Note that I specified "depending on the species".
                              >
                              > I had heard that red claws were relatively aggressive on this
                              list, but
                              > have no personal knowledge on that matter.
                              >
                              > Also, aggressive, to a biologist is not just "attitude", but
                              ability to
                              > survive and breed. Can you imagine an aggressive mussel, if
                              attitude
                              > were all that was meant? There is nothing with less attitude than
                              > mussel.
                              >
                              > I have only lived in Northwest Arkansas 7 years, but I have never
                              seen
                              > even small ponds freeze over here. Even the 18" sump hole in my
                              back
                              > yard has never frozen over. The climate is changing.
                              >
                              > It is good to know that escapes will only be a short term problem
                              > though. The most critical point is that he really needs to check
                              > directly with local fish and wildlife regulations.
                              >

                              > On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 20:21 -0600, darrin dehaan wrote:
                              > >
                              > > redclawcrayfish has no ability to
                              > > harm any type of local areas that
                              > > freeze in the winter, water colder
                              > > than the 40s will kill all
                              > > redclawcrayfish and since I did
                              > > live 9 years in Arkansas ,
                              > > I ice skated every year there,
                              > > there is no way redclawcrayfish can
                              > > survive the winters there. Yes ,
                              > > short term summer escapes will
                              > > start to take over any small creek
                              > > or pond but when the winter hits
                              > > all will die. Now down south is a
                              > > total different story and the
                              > > Government does put there rules on
                              > > the table, so yes check out the
                              > > fish and game rules where you live.
                              > > Redclawcrayfish is a non aggressive
                              > > crawdad, very large. Oh I have a
                              > > question--- where do you get your
                              > > information redclawcrayfish can not
                              > > live 3 months out of water
                              > > cobraclaws

                              Terms of
                              > > Service.

                              _

                            • Leigh
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                                --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "james022659" <jim022659@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > yes and i do plan on doing just that. i have no intention on
                                > destroing the biological system just to make a buck. and we also
                                do
                                > have a place here in ohio that is allready raising then so i dont
                                > see a problem. I do like all the feed back i am getting. it is
                                very
                                > helpful so thanks to all

                                The Signal Crayfish native to the Pacific NW (Oregon Washington,
                                etc) have nearly wiped out the native crays in England and Sweden.
                                Zebra mussels accidentally introduced into the Great Lakes have
                                changed them forever. Be really careful about the crayfish that you
                                farm in your warehouse.

                                You might want to check a Yahoo group called 'CrayfishFarm' there
                                are several guys there who alternate rice and crays in Louisiana.

                                Cheers!

                                Leigh M
                                Portland, Oregon
                              • Craig Fechter
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 9, 2005
                                  Leigh, are you the one who has seen the great grizzly crawdad????

                                  wrote:
                                  > yes and i do plan on doing just that. i have no intention on
                                  > destroing the biological system just to make a buck. and we also
                                  do
                                  > have a place here in ohio that is allready raising then so i dont
                                  > see a problem. I do like all the feed back i am getting. it is
                                  very
                                  > helpful so thanks to all

                                  The Signal Crayfish native to the Pacific NW (Oregon Washington,
                                  etc) have nearly wiped out the native crays in England and Sweden.
                                  Zebra mussels accidentally introduced into the Great Lakes have
                                  changed them forever. Be really careful about the crayfish that you
                                  farm in your warehouse.

                                  You might want to check a Yahoo group called 'CrayfishFarm' there
                                  are several guys there who alternate rice and crays in Louisiana.

                                  Cheers!

                                  Leigh M
                                  Portland, Oregon

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Matt Peterson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 22, 2005
                                    i was told that the Kentucky tabasco gravel found in
                                    southeastern Kentucky is perfect for crayfish of all
                                    sizes and shapes. But then I got some for my fishtank
                                    and the crayfish started ripping each other apart and
                                    eating each other like they never had before and I was
                                    aghast, to say the least. I'm afraid that people are
                                    spreading misconceptions about gravel nationwide and
                                    it needs to be stopped now! This is a great place to
                                    start blazing the trail for crayfish truth!! It must
                                    be found!! It must be found now!!!

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com