Re: [crayfish] Looking for a market

  • andrew59
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1 7:47 AM
      Hi,
      Badly need good advice with regards to my recent brought asia tiger(Indonesia crayfish). The male have a pair of beautiful pincers which i have never see before since i started crayfish keeping as pet. Some freak accident happened last night while changing the water, as i was holding it up, to transferring it to another container. It left pincer dropped off.

      As far as i know, that by the next moulting, it new pincer will grow but it would definitely much smaller than it right pincer. And there no way, that the new pincer will grow to equal size with it right pincer. Would it be better off, for me to break it right pincer too? So at least, when the next moulting both pincers will grow to equal size? Thank you and looking forward to hear from you Guys out there.

      Best Regards,
      Andrew Chan
      Singapore

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 5:31 PM
        How you would appreciate having your hand broken off "so it would match"
        the other one?

        Losing limbs occasionally is par for the course for crustaceans. No
        need to give him unnecessary stress. He will still be beautiful, even
        with mismatched claws.

        On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 22:47 +0800, andrew59 wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Badly need good advice with regards to my recent brought asia tiger
        > (Indonesia crayfish). The male have a pair of beautiful pincers which
        > i have never see before since i started crayfish keeping as pet. Some
        > freak accident happened last night while changing the water, as i was
        > holding it up, to transferring it to another container. It left pincer
        > dropped off.
        >
        > As far as i know, that by the next moulting, it new pincer will grow
        > but it would definitely much smaller than it right pincer. And there
        > no way, that the new pincer will grow to equal size with it right
        > pincer. Would it be better off, for me to break it right pincer too?
        > So at least, when the next moulting both pincers will grow to equal
        > size? Thank you and looking forward to hear from you Guys out there.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Andrew Chan
        > Singapore
      • Leigh
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1 5:48 PM
          Hmmm, It depends a lot on where you are. The Swedes are said to eat
          even more crayfish than Cajuns, but unfortunately, you can't ship
          American crays to Sweden. There are crayfish festivals in cities in
          Louisiana and other Southeastern states. Sacramento and Tualatin,
          Oregon (near Portland) are also homes to crawfish festivals.

          You might check out the Yahoo list at:

          There are several commercial crayfishers there. A good group.

          If you have any specimens of the Great Grizzly Crawfish you will find a
          great market!

          Cheers!

          Leigh M
          Portland

          --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "mudbugger59" <mudbugger59@y...> wrote:

          > Any body with information to that kind of market. would be greatly
          > appreciated. Thank you.
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1 6:48 PM

            I would leave it alone, it takes them a while to grow back a pincer but they eventually get close to or as big as the original, it’s just that with larger crayfish they moult less and so it takes longer. If you break off the other pincer it might take longer for the crayfish to build two more.

              Saying all that, I had a yabby that had lost all its pincers and legs except one leg on the right and two legs on the left. It had no eyes or feelers. It grew everything back after about 3 moults and now looks normal.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2 5:56 AM
              Hi Dan,
              Thank you for the sensible advice on the pincers. In that case, i would just leave the right pincer alone. Seriously hope in time to come, the left pincer will able to grow back to size that would be close in size with it right pincer. Anyway, this crayfish of mine, is about 3 inches in length.

              Todate, i have 4 asia tiger (Indonesia crayfish) with 3 inches length and 2 Australia red claws (7 inches in length)  However one of mine, asia tiger lost it right eye when i brought it back home. And it have moult once since i have it with me, however it right eye is still missing. Does crayfish eyes really grow new eyes after several moulting?

              Need another advice, as i would be going for a short vacation with my family (5 days) Have no idea of how to arrange foods for them, would they able to live without foods for 5 days? Thank you.

              Best Regards,
              Andrew Chan

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2 6:50 AM

                Hi,

                    Sounds like you have a nice collection. I also seriously doubted they would grow eyes back. But our yabby that re-grew eyes had lost the entire black section of both eyes, but still had the stalk and cup of the eye. After the first moult I don’t remember seeing her eyes change but at the second moult (I think, I lose track of their moults) she had one eye almost black. At the third moult she had black in both eyes and responded to visual things such as fish and other crayfish. Now her eyes seem normal although one is not completely black. As I mentioned she also grew back several other legs and her nippers at the same time so she works very hard between moulting! I can send you a picture of her later.

                  I don’t know if they grow back an entire eye if the stalk is cut off, I would assume that they can, but I have only seen an “eyeball” section grow back so I can’t say for sure. They should easily survive without food for 5 days, but possibly they will be more aggressive with each other if they are in the same tank. I would feed them just before I left and hope for the best. You could also buy some cheap aquarium plants and put those in there, they won’t pollute the water and crayfish love to eat them generally. As to what variety of plants I do not know, I would get a selection and see what they eat.

                                  Regards,

                                               Danny McWhirter

              • angieqmiller@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 2 7:02 PM

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 2 7:08 PM
                    In reply to the food situation of crayfish: Crayfish can go weeks without feeding. It actually is not recommended to feed them everyday. In the wild crayfish do not come upon large amounts of food every day. They just nibble here and there. Just be sure and feed them a good meal before you go and I can promise they will be fine when you come home. Too, feeding them too much in captivity is bad. Since they only eat small amounts of food at a time, the food pollutes the tank making it neccessary to clean the tank more often. And as you know, when you clean tanks too often, it puts stress on the crayfish, therefore, things happen like: THERE PINCERS FALL OFF.

                    > From: "andrew59" <andrew59@...>
                    > Date: 2005/06/02 Thu AM 08:56:01 EDT
                    > To: <crayfish@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [crayfish] Looking for a market
                    >
                    > Hi Dan,
                    > Thank you for the sensible advice on the pincers. In that case, i would just leave the right pincer alone. Seriously hope in time to come, the left pincer will able to grow back to size that would be close in size with it right pincer. Anyway, this crayfish of mine, is about 3 inches in length.
                    >
                    > Todate, i have 4 asia tiger (Indonesia crayfish) with 3 inches length and 2 Australia red claws (7 inches in length) However one of mine, asia tiger lost it right eye when i brought it back home. And it have moult once since i have it with me, however it right eye is still missing. Does crayfish eyes really grow new eyes after several moulting?
                    >
                    > Need another advice, as i would be going for a short vacation with my family (5 days) Have no idea of how to arrange foods for them, would they able to live without foods for 5 days? Thank you.
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Andrew Chan

                  • andrew59
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5 2:54 AM
                      Hi Dan,
                      Thank you again for the advice. Thanks.

                      Best Regards,
                      Andrew Chan

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5 2:57 AM
                        Hi Angie,
                        Thank you for your advice, regards to the right pincer enquiry. Thanks.

                        Best Regards,
                        Andrew Chan
                        > Badly need good advice with regards to my recent brought asia tiger(Indonesia crayfish). The male have a pair of beautiful pincers which i have never see before since i started crayfish keeping as pet. Some freak accident happened last night while changing the water, as i was holding it up, to transferring it to another container. It left pincer dropped off.
                        >
                        > As far as i know, that by the next moulting, it new pincer will grow but it would definitely much smaller than it right pincer. And there no way, that the new pincer will grow to equal size with it right pincer. Would it be better off, for me to break it right pincer too? So at least, when the next moulting both pincers will grow to equal size? Thank you and looking forward to hear from you Guys out there.
                        >
                        > Best Regards,
                        > Andrew Chan
                        > Singapore

                      • andrew59
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 5 2:58 AM
                          Hi Angie,
                          Thank you for your advice regards to whether could the crayfish goes without foods for 5 days. Thanks.

                          Best Regards,
                          Andrew Chan